Saying "I love you" too much

stuh505

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 11:20 pm
Ok, so I love her. But when I say it, I want it to have some meaning. She says it too much! I feel like I am supposed to say it back then, but I don't want to wear it out.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 12,669 • Replies: 30
No top replies

flushd

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 12:41 am
Laughing

So stuh, what do you usually do when she says it?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 07:54 am
I'm typing a bit early in my morning for deep philosophy concerning Love and Linguistics, but...

Words can become hackneyed, but properly cultivated emotions do not.

What would your S.O. think if every day you showed her your love in several different ways. Would she still require the verbal declaration that makes you uncomfortable?

Are you uncomfortable because you feel on some level that repeating, "I love you. I love youl. I love you," would somehow trap you?
0 Replies

Deler

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 03:23 pm
When is a bad time to say i love you
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 04:38 pm
Deler--

Quote:
When is a bad time to say i love you

How about just after you've been spectacularly unkind? Or broken a promise? Or destroyed hours of work?

"I treat you like dirt....but I love you," lacks a certain sincerity.
0 Replies

Deler

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 05:35 pm
How about in the midst of a heated argument where both have taken their ground and become stubborn enough to completely disagree with eachother and agree the other is at fault when who is to blame doesn't really matter
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 05:39 pm
Deler--

Is "I love you" being said from love or in a spirit of one-upsmanship?
0 Replies

kingofmen

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 07:32 pm
word lose its value when you use abuse using it
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 08:06 pm
Oh gee, it's featured Rolling Eyes

I don't feel uncomfortable saying it, by itself, nor am I afraid that it will corner me.

I just worry that if it is said on a daily basis, it will come to be a baseline standard...rather than something special.

I have never been with the same person for years on end like many of you...but I'm guessing when your hubby says I love you, it doesn't even register anymore
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 08:50 pm
When my hubby, or I, for that matter, says it, it registers because we don't throw it around and we don't say it when there is a "reason".

Like you, I'm kind of put off by someone who needs the constant reassurance of "I love you too".

There seems to be something so needy about it.

Being loved is wonderful, being needed is.... kind of annyoning, by an adult human being anyway.

I don't have any advice for you on how to combat your girlfriends need to say and to hear this, stuh, but I can totally sympathize with what you're saying.
0 Replies

Deler

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 08:54 pm
Noddy

it isn't being said at all unfortunatley, however i enjoy giveing the idealistic opinion. I think the idea of love being only that happy special feeling is a little narrow.

Why can't you say I love you to someone when your pissed off at them?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 08:58 pm
The first Mr. Noddy was fond of administering vicious verbal criticism in the name of love.

I grew less and less convinced.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 09:03 pm
Right on, Noddy.

I can't help but thinking of that A2K thread that keeps cropping up: My husband loves me but he's abusive.

Saying "I love you" to someone when you're pissed off sends the weirdest message in the world.

In those situations it is usually followed with the word "but...." which negates the whole sentiment.
0 Replies

anna211705

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:28 pm
from a girls point of view who loves being told that she is loved, my advice to you would be to express it in other ways. tell her you care about her or that she looks nice today. tell her that you enjoy spending time with her or text her that you wish you were together when you're not. it's a way to tell her that you love her and care about her without using those words. hearing stuff like that just makes me (and im assuming other girls) feel good, and want to be good to you....
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:53 pm
I don't like the words "I love you" being used all the time either.
It can lose meaning or be used for purposes other than a genuine expression of love.
And sometimes it is just annoying.
When someone loves me, I know it by how they treat me.

I love that song from My Fair Lady
Words! Words! I'm so sick of words!
I get words all day through;
First from him, now from you! Is that all you blighters can do?
Don't talk of stars Burning above; If you're in love,
Show me! Tell me no dreams
Filled with desire. If you're on fire,
Show me! Here we are together in the middle of the night!
Don't talk of spring! Just hold me tight!
Anyone who's ever been in love'll tell you that
This is no time for a chat! Haven't your lips
Longed for my touch? Don't say how much,
Show me! Show me! Don't talk of love lasting through time.
Make me no undying vow. Show me now!
Sing me no song! Read me no rhyme!
Don't waste my time, Show me!
Don't talk of June, Don't talk of fall!
Don't talk at all! Show me!
Never do I ever want to hear another word.
There isn't one I haven't heard.
Here we are together in what ought to be a dream;
Day one more word and I'll scream!
Haven't your arms Hungered for mine?
Please don't "expl'ine," Show me! Show me!
Don't wait until wrinkles and lines
Pop out all over my brow,
Show me now!
:wink:
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 10:44 am
anna211705 wrote:
from a girls point of view who loves being told that she is loved, my advice to you would be to express it in other ways. tell her you care about her or that she looks nice today. tell her that you enjoy spending time with her or text her that you wish you were together when you're not. it's a way to tell her that you love her and care about her without using those words. hearing stuff like that just makes me (and im assuming other girls) feel good, and want to be good to you....

Uh, is that you Anna? Shocked
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:00 am
kingofmen wrote:
word lose its value when you use abuse using it

Absolutly not. It loses meaning when you say it and don't mean it. Like to get sex. Or other favors. Or drop it like Noddy said, after mean acts. The apologitic "i love you" is the one that destroys meaning, not the sincere "i love you".

I say it lots. My hubby and I say it every morning before work and every night before bed at the very least. And probably 5 or 6 times during the day, depending on if we talk on the phone or not. If I feel like saying it, I say it.
0 Replies

anna211705

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:38 pm
yeah stuh, its me...
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 03:06 pm
I love you anna
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 04:37 pm
Awwwww. You two!