Caffeine

gollum

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 07:45 pm
I read one should avoid caffeinated beverages because they cause dehydration.

My prior understanding was that the water in the caffeinated beverage passes out of your body in a shorter time than the same quantity of a non-caffeinated beverage would.

But -- I think -- until the caffeinated beverage passes out of your body it has hydrated not dehydrated you. Even after it has passed out of your body, I would think you have the same amount of hydration as if you had not drunk the caffinated beverage.

So as long as you drink enough of the caffeinated beverage, how can it cause dehydration?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 868 • Replies: 6
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:59 pm
I suspect the caffeinated beverage does not absorb into your body but just passes through without hydrating you.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 10:24 pm
I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

Caffeine in itself does not cause dehydration. It causes you to urinate more than usual. If you drink a caffeinated bev. in moderation along with the healthy amount of non-caf fluids (in particular water); you probably will not become dehydrated.
Caffeine does a lot more though than simply being a diuretic. It causes psychomotor arousal (amongst other things). Your heart beats faster, you breathe faster, and the blood is pumping through your body quicker. This uses water! and energy.
So, if you were to simply drink caf beverages, you run the risk of dehydration because you have heightened the use of water in your body and your body can not return to a normal level of use until you stop consuming so much caffeine! A body in constant arousal is a body that quickly becomes dehydrated.

That's what I think, anyways.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 06:32 am
flushd-

Thank you.

It is frightening. I have been drinking Diet Coke (caffeinated) as just about my only source of liquids for at least 20 years.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 12:11 pm
Whoa, you really love Diet Coke, eh? Laughing

Here....have a bottle of water. You might hate it for the first while, but I bet you'll feel better. Believe me, you get used to the 'non-taste' of water.

And OMG; you are most likely caffeine dependent too. Cut back slowly on the DC so you don't get the headaches, tummy pains, and other fun stuff too badly.

Guzzle that water my friend!
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:26 am
A FRIEND OF MINE SAYS IN THIS HOT(UK) WEATHER,PEOPLE WITH HEART CONDITIONS SHOULDN'T DRINK MORE THAN 2 CANS/DRINKS OF CAFFEINE![/size][/b]
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 09:34 am
And the rest of us should???
0 Replies