my 1st relationship, do all relationships go through this?

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 11:29 am
Hey all,
i'm 21 and have been going out with my first boyfriend for almost a year and a half now. we have spent a lot of time with each other and recently moved to a new city so i could go to school. we don't know very many people here and seem to rely on each other for our social needs. Lately we seem to be having the same conversation every week, about if we're right for each other and if we want to see other people. we decide to stay together only to have this conversation again a week later. I still want to be with him but i don't want to set myself up for disappointment. I was just wondering if all relationships go through this and if it's ever gonna stop. any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. thanks....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,928 • Replies: 24
No top replies

eoe

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 11:32 am
Ist relationship usually means 1st relationship but rarely does it mean your last or only relationship.
It sounds like it's time for you two to move on.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 11:33 am
You are way too young for a long distance relationship like this, especially when it's your first. You will learn that love isn't always enough to hold someone together.
0 Replies

knowitall2005

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 11:42 am
I agree with Bella because I am 21 years old and my b/f is going away next year. I don't know if I should stay with him or stop seeing him.
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 05:23 pm
It doesn't sound like a long distance relationship. It sounds like they live together from the way she worded her post, could be the ambiguous pronoun references.

Are you living together or are you just living in the city or is it neither?

If you are living together, maybe that's the problem. I dont have first hand experience, but I know a lot of otherwise healthy relationships flop because of premature cohabiting. If you aren't living together, but see eachother often, and live in the same city, maybe it really is the relationship that isn't working. If it is long distance, then that is a problem unto itself that most of the time cannot be worked out. And I do have first hand experience with this one. Living far away from somebody makes you wonder if you are even in a relationship at all because of the lack of physical touch.

Let us know how it goes.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 08:05 pm
Yeah, you'll have to provide some more info.

Do you live together? Did he move with you to a new city just so that the two of you could stay together? Is it long distance?

21 and already in a serious relationship for over a year and a half. Sheesh. You need to date other people! Okay, that's just my opinion.
0 Replies

anna211705

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:10 pm
sorry for the bad wording...
sorry, i didn't make my situation clearer. my boyfriend moved here with me because he had nothing else going on, and some part of him probably wanted to be with me. we stayed together while we traveled for 5 months before school and now he doesn't have a place to stay and i share a room, so we still sleep in his car because we want to be together. romantic, huh? i guess my biggest question is if other relationships that work out for exteneded periods of time (im thinking marriage) go through a stage where youre not really sure if you're right for each other and think about seeing other people. if not, then i guess its time to move on and not waste any more time with each other....right?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:36 am
I think, perhaps, you know the answer.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 02:03 am
echoed
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 02:14 am
Another echo.
0 Replies

anna211705

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 02:35 am
perhaps i do. just trying to convince myself otherwise....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 06:03 am
That m'dear is the problem of cohabiting too soon. The idea is to work out most of the "bugs" in a relationship first, decide that you want to be together, and then move in together. IMO, you did it bass ackwards, and now you are realizing that there is not much to this relationship. I think that you realize that you both need to move on.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:51 am
you know Phoenix, when I was 25 I was sure you had to live together first.Then get married. But what happened was that we never dealt with the important and nasty issues...because we didn't have to. Either one of us could walk away...
But after the marriage all the things we had avoided burst out and it was overwhelming. I wish it had been different.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:43 pm
I suspect that ardor will have an inverse relationship with the mercury in the thermometer.

Your nomadic boyfriend isn't one to compromise with The Establishment, is he?
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 04:47 am
You poor thing.
I too have a failing relationship. But unlike you, I could never imagine seeing other people, that thought is just painfull, and my bf feels the same way, so we have decided to stay together and see how it goes.

To be honest, if you feel like you want to see other people, then it may be time to split.
0 Replies

Delicate Sound Of Thunder

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:55 am
If you do decide to end the relationship, your going to look back on it a laugh. It may not seem like it at the time but you will. You learn from your mistakes, so just count this one as a mistake. That's where it seems to be going anyway.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 12:03 pm
*puts an obstruction to stop echoes*
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 12:05 pm
You guys don't seem all that attached to each other, and he doesn't seem all that attached to the city you're in. If you really are having such frequent doubts about the relationship, it would be best to decide to end it before he settles down in the area, I think. I, though, am a big fan of talking through specific problems with the other person when in a relationship. And I think that the issue of place, which you even brought up in your first post, is something perhaps you two haven't spent much time discussing. See what his plans, hopes, etc. are, tell him honestly how you feel about his being there, and go from there. Don't spend too much time on the "are we right for each other" stuff, because it's not really the most productive conversation to have most of the time.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:03 am
No, not a mistake, just a learning process. If you had a nice time then be greatfull, dont regret it.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 09:39 am
Re: sorry for the bad wording...
anna211705 wrote:
sorry, i didn't make my situation clearer. my boyfriend moved here with me because he had nothing else going on, and some part of him probably wanted to be with me. we stayed together while we traveled for 5 months before school and now he doesn't have a place to stay and i share a room, so we still sleep in his car because we want to be together. romantic, huh? i guess my biggest question is if other relationships that work out for exteneded periods of time (im thinking marriage) go through a stage where youre not really sure if you're right for each other and think about seeing other people. if not, then i guess its time to move on and not waste any more time with each other....right?

Dump this loser. Fast!
0 Replies