Pillow talk

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:18 pm
I sleep on this ancient, ratty down pillow that is about an inch think but I really only use the corner of it because I really just like to lay flat but the pillow stays so nice and cool and lovely.

The problem is that I have what my doctor describes as a bit of arthritis in my neck. I'm not sure I believe her because it never ever bothered me until Mo dinged me on the chin so hard I saw stars. It doesn't bother me all the time but when it does it is insane-making.

The insane-making part is not the neck pain but the fact that I can't sleep. Ratty pillow only seems to compond the problem as do jumbo fat pillows. I wake up a 3 AM with a huge headach and a grouchy demeanor.

The grouchy mood sticks around all day and I've been hell on wheels for the last couple of days.

I need some sleep.

I've considered those weird neck scoop pillow things but I'm a rather acrobatic sleeper so I don't know if my neck would stay put on the bump thing.

I am at the mercy of pillow technology and my able friends at A2K.

Are there any pillows that might help?

What kind of pillow do you sleep on?

Why?

Any advice?

My family thanks you for your reply.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,540 • Replies: 33
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:21 pm
Sorry, I love my ratty old feather pillow, even if it does need to be plumped up a bit now and then.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:22 pm
I have nothing to say.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:25 pm
Ahhh roger, birds of a feather....

Ahhh gus, bird feathers!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:28 pm
Actually, I am a member of the Ratty Old Feather Pillow club. With one exception, and this may cause my dismissal from the club: My feather pillow lies atop a newer, fuller pillow. Strictly for elevation purposes.

Forgive me, Feather Pillow God, for I have sinned.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:37 pm
I sleep on 2 pillows as well - no feathers though, that's a
no no in warm climate regions.

boomerang, since Mo wacked you at your chin, you
might want to visit the dentist of your choice and let him
check you for TMJ (Temporo-Mandibular Joint).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:37 pm
Hmmmm....some people say 100% goose down is good.

I have terrible neck pain, and I swap between 3. seems to change all the time re what I need.

Scoopy one is good sometimes, down other times, two at others.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:44 pm
Since you're just cheating on your pillow we'll let you stay a member of the ROFP, gus.

Can I get an Ahem?

CJane, my dentist is the first person I went to see after the whack and he couldn't find any problem. That visit was right after it happened -- I thought I'd cracked my jaw bone or something. After a couple of weeks of pain it went away and I thought it was like every other injury. Many months later it was back and I went to the doctor -- she said arthritis. It went away again and now its back.

Why no feather pillows in warm climates? They stay so cool and lovely!

Perhaps I need to hit the store for a variety pack of pillows, dlowan. We have Mr. B's big fat pillows and my ROFP but that's it. I've been thinking one of those buckwheat pillows might be nice......
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:49 pm
I went to Google and did an image search for "expensive pillow". I thought I would be nice and purchase something for boomer, my cranky, sleepless friend. Here's one of the images that came up.....

http://www.insideoutsidemag.com/archives/articles/2004/03/skier5.jpg

I'm sorry, but I just don't see the connection to an expensive pillow.

What am I missing here?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:50 pm
Old pillows harbor tons of dirt and dust mites - dump them and treat yourselves to a new one. Even if you wash them, you can't get them totally clean.

Boomer - I have a collar bone and neck problem from years of doing stonework in landscaping. I found if I sleep at an angle, on a firm sloped pillow it seems to take the preasure off that area. I use a large square foam pillow that could be used as a back pillow for reading in bed (not the kind with the arm rests). I discovered this after being in the hospital for a minor thing and the adjustable bed could be put at this angle with a regular pillow, I was amazed at how much better I felt in the morning. Experiment with different heights and angles.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:54 pm
boomerang, I feel feather pillows generate more dust mites and cause more allergies, especially in our southern climate.
Besides, I buy every few months new pillows and toss the
old ones.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:55 pm
I don't get the connection either but you can buy me one of those anyway. Christmas is just around the corner and I have been asking for a skier. Mr. B says "NO". Talk about a grouch.

I know all the pillow horrors, green witch but losing this pillow.... well..... ummmmm.... maybe I'll just name the mites.

Is the pillow you use kind of a wedge shape, green witch? That is what I'm picturing.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:00 pm
Are you a member of the pillow of the month club, CJane?

I have allergies to a few things but my pillow has never seemed to contribute to them. I hate the fact that once something gets worn in properly I'm supposed to get rid of it. I've only had this pillow for maybe ten years. It has just now reached perfection other than when my "arthritis" is bothering me.

Dagnabit!

(Did I mention that I was grouchy?)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:00 pm
Has anyone ever seen a pillowless bed? I was down at the hospital earlier today, having a wart removed from my ear canal, when I happened to notice my friend Judy making a bed. No pillows. I stuck my head in the door and said "Hey, Judy. You want me to run down to the store and buy a couple of pillows for that bed? It looks rather naked."

"Get the hell out of here, Gus!", she screamed. But than she glanced at the bandage on my ear and said, in a friendlier tone, "My goodness, Gus, what did you do to your ear?"

I explained about the wart and we discussed the upcoming bake sale and then I headed home as she continued messing around with her pillowless bed...

http://texpro.net/healthzen/images/DREAMKNITSHEET_TWO.jpg
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:02 pm
Mine is not a wedge, but I do give it an extra lift with a regular pillow. You might want to try a wedge and see if it works. I'm terrible with things like angles, but I would say it's at about 40 degrees and I sleep rather high on it, my shoulder is fully on the pillow. It is made of firm foam and is 26" square. I think I got it at Marshall's.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:09 pm
boomerang wrote:
Are you a member of the pillow of the month club, CJane?

Don't ask, I am rather paranoid that way, and I just feel more comfortable
changing pillows more often. I am also a sucker for bedding - I must
have around 10 different duvets/pillow covers.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:12 pm
I have down, too. We wash them occasionally, they get very fluffy after that.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:15 pm
What the heck is Judy hiding in that bed?

I know I'm not the only one who noticed those little nubbly things. No wonder she screamed when you walked it.

Judy is a drug dealer. I think she's hiding her stash.

I'll look around for something like that, Green Witch. I don't know if I can adapt to such a high head but I'm willing to give anything a shot for a decent night's sleep.

CJane, I might have to start calling you "Monk"!

Anyway... I hope you donate the old stuff to a nice charity. They alway always always love to get bedding.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:18 pm
Why "Monk"?

Yeah, I am with an outreach program that donates to the
poor regions in Mexico.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:27 pm
You wash your down pillows, soz!?

I tumble mine around in the dryer but I've always been afraid to wash it. Hmmmmm.

"Monk" is the name of a TV show where the guy is a germ-phobic private investigator. It is pretty funny. I don't get to watch much TV anymore, it might be no longer on.

I'm glad your pillows are finding a good home. This "pillow of the month club" thing might have legs.... Kind of a netflix pillow thing. We send you a new pillow, you send us your old pillow and we donate it to someone who needs it. Hmmmm......
0 Replies