Flu Vaccine

gollum

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 05:35 pm
I believe in 1976 President Ford urged people to get vaccinated against the flu, resulting in permanent paralysis or death in some of the vaccinated people.

Now the government is again urging people to get vaccinated.

What is the best course for an individual to take?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 966 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 05:40 pm
Get the flu shot. I don't remember the year, but '76 sounds about right for that rush-to-market swine flu shot. Different situation now.

I would be cautious if someone made an emergency batch of avian flu vaccine. So far, they haven't.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 07:56 pm
I got a flu shot last week. The only reaction I received from the flu vaccine was a sore shoulder for 2 days.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 08:36 pm
Well here, we are all encouraged to get a flu shot every year...Elderly folk
get theirs for free, cant say Ive heard of paralysis or anything like that ever happening here....I dont get it, only because I cant see myself going willingly to the Doctor to get a shot in the arm!
The reaction from the flu vaccine everbody has here, is that they get a 'mild' cold for a few days...which is quite understandable due to thats what it is they are pumping into you anyway.
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:31 am
I've gotten it some years, especially when I was in high school and college b/c you're in such close proximity to people. I didn't do it two years ago and got the flu, it was awful. The only adverse affect I've ever heard of if you're an otherwise healthy teen/adult is a soar arm, much better than what I went through!!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 10:35 am
I got the flu vaccine but didn't know it until I asked what was that?

I had a wee heart blip recently and was getting blood taken by my doctor on a follow-up visit, when she injected me in the arm. I asked what she gave me and she said "oh that was a flu shot". I told her she should have consulted me first before injecting me. Although she assured me it was to prevent anything that might strain my heart like the flu, and I agreed that I probably would have okayed it anyway, I still did not like the fact that she did it without asking my permission first.

I've never had a flu-shot in my life, not because I didn't want one but I just never bothered before. Since I generally get the flu each year and it is a complete b'std, we'll see if I'm flu-free this year!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 10:47 am
Heeven wrote:
I still did not like the fact that she did it without asking my permission first.

Me neither. She may have meant well, but she was treating you like doctors did in the old days......................"just do as I say". You, as a consumer of medical services were entitled to be asked, and to ask questions if you wish, before she gave you the shot.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 06:28 pm
She had no right to do that at all.
0 Replies