Anti- Intellectualism in American Life

blatham

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 05:26 pm
Quote:
georgeob1 wrote:
I was disappointed that my observations about Sinclair Lewis ( Elmer Gantry, Babbitt, and the cowboy) did not take flight. I was quite pleased with myself over that.

One can point too, to the portrayals of the teacher and his romantic competition in Washington Irving's Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow. What Disney did with the story is a classic picture of the sort of notions which hover, greatly unconsciously, in the American air which Hofstadter refers to. Thomas likely hasn't seen it, but george perhaps has.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 05:32 pm
Quote:
blatham wrote:
But very clearly, as Hofstadter shows, the evangelical dynamic and anti-intellectualism DID indeed feed on each other (as they still do). That's an inextricable historical correlation.

thomas wrote:Yes -- everywhere in the world, though the evangelicals have different names in different places.

You've just removed all discernment re culture and history, thomas. One might just as well make the comment that catholicism was present in Ireland and present in Canada and therefore there is nothing further necessary to be said re the role of the church in Ireland.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 05:40 pm
I don't know the Disney version of Sleepy Hollow, but I am a fan of Washington Irving - a too often overlooked American writer. In general he took a tolerant, bemused view of human foibles and pretenses in every form.

Did you know that Irving played a leading role in the restoration of the Alhambra in Granada? He was our ambassador to Spain for several years, became enchanted with the place (and in particular with the contrast between the then ruined Alhambra and the rather ponderous fortification Charles V erected nearby.) Irving's Reminiscences of the Alhambra are a great read - they also inspired some wonderful music.

I missed out on Jimi Hendrix - rather busy in WESTPAC at the time and somehow he seemed unrelated to anything I liked when I later tuned in.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 05:47 pm
blatham wrote:
But yes, Hendrix's piece from Woodstock as art is the equal of Goya or Guernica. But we don't all find its referent to be limited to that short period of time.

Neither do I -- that's why I want radio stations to play it more often today.

blatham wrote:
Your use of 'intellectual' in the passage is notable, thomas. Also, 'says more'.

I used "intellectual" on purpose to set a low standard of comparison. Actually I don't like Hendrix. (Damn, that was a tight corner; but I think I got myself out of it.)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 06:03 pm
thomas said
Quote:
Not to be difficult on purpose or anything, but it seems to me that Hofstadter's thesis, as it comes across through you, is either so broad and sweeping that it's interesting but false. (Think: 'America is distinct among Western nations in being anti-intellectual and religiously zealous.') The reason I think this is false in my opinion is a) that intellectuals are overrated in Europe as a source of wisdom, and b) A society where power is broadly dispersed depends on well-informed and wise rulers, and much more on the integrity at the grass roots, than in centralized societies such as France or Spain.

Alternatively, you could read the thesis so narrowly and differentiated it becomes true but irrelevant. (Think: 'There exist in America some people who are anti-intellectual and religiously zealous.') Or it's something in between, in which case it's a little bit false and a little bit irrelevant. Either way, I'm a bit lost. Were is the beef?

Hofstadter does not make the claim in red, nor do I. It isn't distinct to america, but it is distinct in america. It will surely be, as he says in one passage noted earlier, found everywhere. But one can't then assume it will be in equal portion in all societies and one would be prudent to assume there will be variation, and variation of consequence, and variation that has historical causes.

You hold as your opinion that "intellectuals are over-rated in Europe". How do you spot them? That is, what characteristics do you suggest ought to be used to define the target of your search? Are they over-rated because the society around you grants them too much esteem, or (to use george's main measure) because they over-rate themselves?

Quote:
A society where power is broadly dispersed depends on well-informed and wise rulers, and much more on the integrity at the grass roots, than in centralized societies such as France or Spain.

I'm not at all willing to grant you this undemonstrated thesis, or the terms in which you phrase it. What, after all, comprises 'wisdom'? And if 'well informed', informed in what manner? Pioneer or disorganized or non-hierarchical groups will be forced into ad hoc social arrangements and solutions (which may be unwise as likely as wise, just or unjust, well-informed or ill-informed). Oddly, you sound a tad like Rousseau in what you seem to suggest.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 06:09 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I don't know the Disney version of Sleepy Hollow, but I am a fan of Washington Irving - a too often overlooked American writer. In general he took a tolerant, bemused view of human foibles and pretenses in every form.

Did you know that Irving played a leading role in the restoration of the Alhambra in Granada? He was our ambassador to Spain for several years, became enchanted with the place (and in particular with the contrast between the then ruined Alhambra and the rather ponderous fortification Charles V erected nearby.) Irving's Reminiscences of the Alhambra are a great read - they also inspired some wonderful music.

I missed out on Jimi Hendrix - rather busy in WESTPAC at the time and somehow he seemed unrelated to anything I liked when I later tuned in.

george
Do do do see if you can rent the Disney cartoon. It's such a wonderful demonstration of my thesis.

I did know about Irving's relationship with Granada. Granada is my favorite place on earth, I truly did not want to leave it. The pull was so inexplicably profound on me that I began to consider the possibility of Hindu/Buddhists notions of rebirth.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 06:14 pm
Quote:
"This book is a critical inquiry, not a legal brief for the intellectuals against the American community. I have no desire to encourage the self-pity to which intellectuals are sometimes prone by suggesting that they have been vessels of pure virtue set down in Babylon. One does not need to assert this, or to assert that intellectuals should get sweeping indulgence or exercise great power, in order to insist that respect for intellect and its functions is important to the culture and the health of any society...I do not forget that intellect itself can be overvalued, and that reasonable attempts to set it in its proper place in human affairs should not be called anti-intellectual.
RH
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 06:19 pm
Quote:
I used "intellectual" on purpose to set a low standard of comparison. Actually I don't like Hendrix. (Damn, that was a tight corner; but I think I got myself out of it.)

So long as you recognize where you were.

Much of Hendrix doesn't, to my surprise and dismay, stand up very well over the years. On the other hand, there is quite a bit which does. And what does can be exquisite.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 06:31 pm
I believe I'll turn off my computer now, pour a coffee, turn on the TV and watch further episodes of "the horrific collapse of the conservative movement in America".
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 06:39 pm
blatham wrote:
You hold as your opinion that "intellectuals are over-rated in Europe". How do you spot them? That is, what characteristics do you suggest ought to be used to define the target of your search?

I can't define it, and admit it's an "I know it when I see it" thing. Intellectuals tend to be academics as opposed to workers, craftsmen, or professionals. Their training tends to be in the humanities as opposed to the hard sciences. And they tend to write for an audience that values eloquence with language over competence with numbers and facts. It's no a clear-cut thing, but these indicators work reasonably well

blatham wrote:
Are they over-rated because the society around you grants them too much esteem, or (to use george's main measure) because they over-rate themselves?

Every group of professionals overestimates its own importance -- that's only human. The difference is that with some groups, public joins in to this overestimation, while it retains its critical faculties. I would say that intellectuals are in the former cateogory, businessmen an example of the latter. I guess this is a similar answer as what George said.

blatham wrote:
Quote:
A society where power is broadly dispersed depends on well-informed and wise rulers, and much more on the integrity at the grass roots, than in centralized societies such as France or Spain.

I'm not at all willing to grant you this undemonstrated thesis, or the terms in which you phrase it. What, after all, comprises 'wisdom'? And if 'well informed', informed in what manner?

I left out an important word: What I meant to say is:"A society where power is broadly dispersed does not depend on wise rulers..." The reason I believe this is not so much about power, but about decision-making. If a society makes its collective choices by having 300 million people do their own thing and see what happens, it can solve a lot of things experimentally. To construct the extreme opposite, in a society where all decisions are made by one individual, he has to become a philospher king would have to invest extreme effort into getting all his decisions right. I'm an experimental physicist. I prefer decision making informed by vulgar experimentation and practical experience. If that sounds like Rouseau, I'm flattered. I hear he's an acceptable writer. He has also been on my to-read list forever.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 08:08 pm
And what did Irving Kristol write about Intellectuals?

Kristol, in my opinion, pinned the "intellectuals" to the wall when he wrote:

'From the point of view of artists and of those whom we have come to call "intellectuals"there were three great flaws in the new order of things.

First of all, it threatened to be very boring...throughout history, writers and artists have been so candidly contemptuous of commercial activity between consenting adults, regarding it as an activity that tends to coarsen and trivialize the human spirit.

Second, though a commerical society may offer artists and writers all sorts of desirable things--freedom of expression especially, popularity and affluence occasionally--IT DID AND IT DOES DEPRIVE THEM OF THE STATUS THAT THEY NATURALLY FEEL THEMSELVES ENTITLED TO.

Third, a commercial society, a society whose civilization is shaped by market transactions, is always likely to reflect the appetites and perferences of common men and women. Each may not have much money, but there are so many of them that their tastes are decisive. ARTISTS AND INTELLECTUALS SEE THIS AS AN INVERSION OF THE NATURAL ORDER OF THINGS, since it gives "vulgarity" the power to dominate where and when it can. By their very nature, "elitists", they believe that a civilization should be shaped by an aristo to which they will be organically attached,no matter how perilously"

Just who is he talking about????
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:33 pm
In Disney's version of Sleepy Hollow (set in a small country villiage in the Appalachians), an odd-looking duck is seen trotting through the trees. He is as shown below, with a pastle of books under his arm, and riding a donkey that looks quite as physically inadept and unhandsome as its rider. Note the nose, the adam's apple. He looks as ungainly as a crane. Soon after he arrives in the village, a local girl (the prettiest girl in the village) swoons over the new teacher. He is, after all, a teacher. But she already has a beau, Brom. Brom is as shown below, a large square-jawed and muscular fellow. When we see him later in Sleepy Hollow on his horse, we see his horse is a huge magnificent beast. Both rider and horse are quite the opposite of Ichabod and his animal.

Brom wins the romantic battle and drives Ichabod in fear from the village not by a threat of direct physical force, but through utilizing a tale told in those parts, of a headless horseman who rides the hollow at night. He presents himself in this guise (that the horseman is Brom we must just infer, but the evidence is clear) one night as Ichabod travels home through the hollow.

It's a win for the practical man, the unschooled master of deep local wisdom and lore. It's a win for manliness over effeminate and awkward intellect.

It is, in other words, classic Americana.

Ichabod Crane
http://doblajedisney.com/img/personajes/11/ichabod_crane.jpg

the local boy, Brom
http://www.fantasiescometrue.com/PINS/PINSIMAGES/brom1500.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:12 pm
Quote:
blatham wrote:
You hold as your opinion that "intellectuals are over-rated in Europe". How do you spot them? That is, what characteristics do you suggest ought to be used to define the target of your search?

thomas: I can't define it, and admit it's an "I know it when I see it" thing. Intellectuals tend to be academics as opposed to workers, craftsmen, or professionals. Their training tends to be in the humanities as opposed to the hard sciences. And they tend to write for an audience that values eloquence with language over competence with numbers and facts. It's not a clear-cut thing, but these indicators work reasonably well

Do I detect a preference for which 'camp' you'd like to find yourself in? But fair enough, one has to define the term in some manner and this doesn't display too much evident preference or black/white categorization. Again, to quote Hofstadter...

"One reason anti-intellectualism has not ever been clearly defined is that its very vagueness makes it more serviceable in controvery as an epithet."

If you read some of David Horowitz's writings, you'll find that his categorization of "intellectual" is so broad and so derogatory that he'd think george nearly akin to Derrida. He's probably THE prime modern manifestation of American anti-intellectualism.

Quote:
blatham wrote:
Are they over-rated because the society around you grants them too much esteem, or (to use george's main measure) because they over-rate themselves?

thomas: Every group of professionals overestimates its own importance -- that's only human. The difference is that with some groups, public joins in to this overestimation, while it retains its critical faculties. I would say that intellectuals are in the former cateogory, businessmen an example of the latter. I guess this is a similar answer as what George said.

Can we edit that first sentence of yours to read something like "Every group of humans overestimates its own importance"? This might show itself through demands for a certain level of esteem to be granted themselves or their profession by others, or also, through something quite opposite - the demand that others be reduced in public esteem.

Quote:
blatham wrote:
Quote:

I'm not at all willing to grant you this undemonstrated thesis, or the terms in which you phrase it. What, after all, comprises 'wisdom'? And if 'well informed', informed in what manner?

thomas: I left out an important word: What I meant to say is:"A society where power is broadly dispersed does not depend on wise rulers..." The reason I believe this is not so much about power, but about decision-making. If a society makes its collective choices by having 300 million people do their own thing and see what happens, it can solve a lot of things experimentally. To construct the extreme opposite, in a society where all decisions are made by one individual, he has to become a philospher king would have to invest extreme effort into getting all his decisions right. I'm an experimental physicist. I prefer decision making informed by vulgar experimentation and practical experience. If that sounds like Rouseau, I'm flattered. I hear he's an acceptable writer. He has also been on my to-read list forever.

Rousseau had quite romantic (and false) notions regarding human society where unorganized. Reading him in class, I would frequently yell out things like "Merde!" (and I don't even speak french, that's how dismayed I was).

I've learned something about you in this, thomas. You have a clear affinity for the American experiment and perhaps particularly for the aspect of what you term "bottom up" social organization. I see it in your preference for states' rights over strong federalism, for example. It's an entirely justifiable preference and to a great extent, I share it with you and with george. There's a very good set of reasons why I would simply not fit in an hierarchical organization like a school, or a church (hi george) or the military (hi again). But my 'libertarian' streak leads me to defend the aspirations of the intellect, the Ichabod Crane love of ideas in books and in noggins.

And I find it wonderfully amusing that both you and george have joined me here (as you both so commonly do) in a discussion in the sort of question and to the sort of depth which very very few plumbers or car mechanics would give a **** about. They'd leave us in the first two minutes, chortling about how rooty-tooty we are and how we probably take it up the ass.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:17 pm
I asked my neighbor the plumber what he thought of intellectuals, he said "they usually pay the bill without asking what the wax ring is for."
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:23 pm
LOL...yeah...in certain important ways, they are the ones who DON'T cause trouble.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:26 pm
ps...it has been a very long while since I confronted the undeniable fact that my appearance is a fair match for Ichabod.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:28 pm
blatham wrote:

It is, in other words, classic Americana.

Ichabod Crane
http://doblajedisney.com/img/personajes/11/ichabod_crane.jpg

the local boy, Brom
http://www.fantasiescometrue.com/PINS/PINSIMAGES/brom1500.jpg

Very nicely expressed Bernie, I believe the story - both as Disney portrayed it, and as Irving wrote it - was as you described, and, at the same time, very light-hearted in tone.

I believe the contest between Ichabod and the local swain you described has a near universal foundation in story, song and culture - around the world and through the centuries. It was Launcelot who got Guenivier's juices flowing, not wise old Arthur. A similar theme is seen in Lochinvar, The Highwayman, Lord Ullan's Daughter, and many other ballads & poems (Ivan Skavinski Skavar and Abdul Abulbul Amir also come to mind). The same goes for the stories of Homer and Virgil. This is hardly unique to America.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:39 pm
No argument that it is unique. But profound as influence, yes.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:49 pm
F. Scott Fitzgerald had a wonderful definition for intelligence - "the ability to hold two contradictory ideas in the mind at the same time".

I'd be quite happy to smoke a peace pipe here on the shared agreement (you can also have two goats and my next door neighbor's daughter) that the intellectual and the practical fellow are characters of equal and necessary worth in a healthy society.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:53 pm
Glad to know we both have similar tastes in Literature and storied places, such as Andalicia.

Have you considered just how much alike we are? (That is, apart from yout nutty views on politics.).
0 Replies