Islamic Propensity For Terrorism (Parisian Riots)

Lash

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:47 pm
This comment--

Now of course you are welcome to nuance those assertions now - I am happy if you do! If you now say that you "have no evidence that religious zealots organised the riots", for example, good, then we agree on that, cause I sure havent seen any. But frankly, I'm getting a bit annoyed by the routine of asserting something radical (in my view) quite clearly, then, when one gets called on it, saying "well, jeez, all i was saying was that <something much more nuanced>". Lash does it, and now you did it too.

is worth noting. Just because I (or anyone else)makes a statement, does not mean nuances can't be pointed out or expanded on later.

If the main point is proven wrong, it should be resigned. However, if the nuances of that point--are correct, it doesn't signify that someone has backtracked or changed their argument.

We have grown so rigid.

No one concedes.

You have made an accusation about me. All I remember about this discussion is you refused to admit several points brought that do reveal a strong Muslim identity to the riots. The finger you point at me is less significant than the three pointing back at you.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:50 pm
I'd like to do a patient post-mortem to see if I erred.
(Or if anyone did.)

Lash wrote:
MA-- You may want to read. They are demanding Muslim laws and yelling standard Islamic slogans.
A fact. I saw it.
The emirs are making demands.
A fact. Read it in the news.
It is a Muslim power grab. By Muslims.
My opinion. As of yet, not proven correct, or incorrect.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:17 pm
Lash wrote:
I googled "Europe riots" and found brusselsjournal. I'd never heard of it before--nor have I been to the intellectualconservative site-- for anyone else keeping score.

I don't feel that economic situation is not applicable to this event--but I will not allow people to pretend it's not happening--or that the Islamic faith plays heavily into the problem.

Meant that the Islamic faith did play heavily into the problem.

French jihadists fuelled by alienation of millets.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:06 pm
Muslims in Europe: Integration Policies in Selected Countries gives the view from the the Congressional Research Service re immgration and integration of Muslims in Europe.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:44 am
This weekend, ravers clashed with French police after party ban i9n Rennes.

I wonder, when (not if, some are really 'good' in this) some can find the curve to Muslims etc with this as well.

Photo from Saturday night:

http://permanent.nouvelobs.com/photos/20051211.OBS8951.jpg

Just to add to the above linked article:

the ravers (2,000) had a new party (with no reported unusual violance until now) in Prinquiau (nearby Saint-Nazaire), Loire-Atlantique.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 06:52 am
I saw a report where an average of about 60 cars per night are still being torched. Someone called it a car-b-que LOL.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 07:50 am
JustWonders wrote:
I saw a report where an average of about 60 cars per night are still being torched. Someone called it a car-b-que LOL.

Got a link for that?

How many cars are torched in other countries per night, e.g. in the USA, to compare?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 07:50 am
nimh wrote:

Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
All I have been saying nimh is that the religious dimension to the various disturbances has been deliberately played down, for fear of making bad relations between Muslims and the wider community worse.

My first reaction here is that all I have been saying is that I dont believe this is true....

....and in fact you believe the religious dimension has been exaggerated. (Why? Bad journalism? Deliberately trying to whip up sectarian hatred? To sell more copy?) I guess we will never know for sure. But what evidence we do have supports my case rather than yours.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:04 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
JustWonders wrote:

Got a link for that?

No need to provide the link:

More 30,000 cars were torched in France this year even before the current riots began.
I didn't look up my sources in the "lower" crime categories.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:09 am
As Many as 60 Cars Still Burn Nightly in France

PARIS, Dec 8 (AFP) - Between 40 and 60 cars are still being burned nightly in France more than three weeks after a wave of suburban violence subsided, a senior interior ministry official said Thursday.

Stephane Fratacci, the ministry's director of public liberties, was arguing against a writ brought before France highest administrative court -- the State Council -- for the country's month-long state of emergency to be suspended.

The jurists who brought the suit said that the measure was no longer needed as normality had been restored in the poor neighbourhoods where the rioting broke out on October 27.

But Fratacci said that last Saturday night 79 vehicles were burned, 46 on Sunday and 50 on Monday. And he urged "the greatest caution" ahead of the end-of-year holidays which regularly see outbursts of violence in suburbs of France's major cities.

Meanwhile a collective representing some 70 left-wing associations and unions was to present a "symbolic" petition before the country's Constitional Council Friday demanding abrogation of the state of emergency.

"This law, which is extremely dangerous for public freedoms, came into effect without ever being brought before the Constitutional Council. Another step was thus taken on the road of destruction for our state of law," the collective said in a statement.

The Constitutional Council vets new laws to ensure they are in keeping with the 1958 constitution of France's Fifth Republic. However its powers cannot be invoked by groups of private citizens.

On November 9 the government of President Jacques Chirac activated a 1955 law to declare a nationwide state of emergency in order to quell the most serious rioting in France since the student disturbances of May 1968.

The following week parliament approved a law to extend the emergency by three months.

The emergency powers enable state-appointed governors -- or prefects -- to declare curfews, ban public meetings and issue house-arrest orders.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:11 am
Walter - I don't know how many are burned here. I think we mostly "steal" em Smile

Why? Are we having a contest?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:25 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
This weekend, ravers clashed with French police after party ban i9n Rennes.

I wonder, when (not if, some are really 'good' in this) some can find the curve to Muslims etc with this as well...

Ok Walter I'll have a go Wink

The riots in Rennes were caused because people wanted to dance and drink. The riots in Paris were caused by a desire to stop dancing and drinking permanently.

Ok somewhat tenuous I admit, but you have to give me some credit for effort Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 02:18 pm
JustWonders wrote:

Why? Are we having a contest?

I haven't heard of such. I just wanted to put the figures in a broader context.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 02:19 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

Ok somewhat tenuous I admit, but you have to give me some credit for effort Smile

I've sent it to The Hare.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 04:57 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

I've sent it to The Hare.

Thanks Walter.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 09:23 am
Terrorism is what the other guy does. Heck, he doesn't even have the common courtesy to wear a fancy uniform or to get affluent so that he can present his military argument with appropriate high-class weaponry.
Quote:

http://www.slate.com/id/2133335/
0 Replies