The Village Voice 50th Anniversary

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 02:15 pm
This October 2005 edition of the Village Voice celebrates 50 years of the weekly New York newspaper (which was recently bought by the alternative newspaper company New Times Media) with a slideshow of covers from 50 years, a timeline of the paper from 1955-2005, and archived articles on topics such as the Beat Generation, Andy Warhol's Factory, Lenny Bruce, the Tompkins Square riots, and Jean-Michel Basquiat.

Link to Village Voice website
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 615 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:58 pm
And the Personals! That's how RP and I met, through the Village Voice personal ads. :-D
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 07:18 am
Where are you Terry West and Lynn along with Carmela and the others from the accounting team and other areas? Amber? Toby? Jesus? Jenny? And whatever happened to Philip Levine? The Bills...Ryan and Dwyer... Patrick?

Bringing back memories of a 6 month stint I did there around 1978 or so (it's a long story and involved stepping away from teaching for a year along with a return to NYC) at the time they were at 11th and University... ah yes lunch and tempura at the Japonica Restuarant...getting blitzed down the block at Bradley's (Cedar Tavern was too good for me) and bowling nearby...

50 years? My how time flies but The Voice is not near as good as it once was; before, Rupert Murdoch bought it (along with at the time New York Magazine).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 12:44 pm
When I lived in Manhattan, I worked for a man who got all of his jobs through a Village Voice ad. I recall liking it when I was young, but the last time I checked it, it seemed kind of boring.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 01:57 pm
At one time The Voice was a political statement paper these days it seems to have moved more towards being a huge advertisement and a place to find out the latest music or fashion info. Still has political ties but it has fallen hard since the old days. (you'd think Hentoff would have been able to keep them all in line)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 02:07 pm
Quote:
how RP and I met

Very Happy heh, and we did it without computers...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 02:21 pm
I think I saw the Voice was just sold in the last week...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 02:22 pm
I also recall the Village Voice as political, including on the cultural level. But times change. Most urban weeklies are now consumerist, as much as anything. But there are exceptions, such as Willamette Week in Portland, OR.

But they all have to watch the bottom line, and it's sad that so many are owned by conglomerates...
0 Replies