Circumcision - Looking for Opinions

el pohl

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:27 pm
Fellow A2K'ers, I've been an uncle for 2 weeks now. My sister had a nice baby boy and all is nice. I dropped the question of the circumcision and she said: "we will think about that later" in an uninterested fashion...

I had the procedure as a newborn, my dad had to had his foreskin pulled when he was a teenager, and I guess my children will have it done at birth. However, after some research, it seems that circumsicion is mainly done as a "family costume", meaning that circumsized dads will apply it in their kids, and uncircumcised wont. This despite the relatively lower risks of contracting any kind of sexually related diseases, or sexual benefits that might be considered in the future. Razz

So here I am running a quick survey. What are your opinions in the matter? Did you had it done? Do you think you need it? And ladies - although this might belong in another forum - would you prefer if your husband would have a circumcised penis?

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,802 • Replies: 51
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:43 pm
I read an article the other day that linked not being circumcized to a higher incidence of HIV and AIDS.

Let me see if I can find it.....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:48 pm
Here:

Quote:
Researchers have noted links between MC and HIV prevalence rates since the 1980s. The body of research now includes:

A systematic meta-analysis that analyzed the findings of 38 studies, mostly in Africa, and found that circumcised men appear to be less than half as likely to be infected by HIV as uncircumcised men. A sub-analysis of 16 of these studies found an estimated 70 percent reduction in HIV infection among higher-risk men.

A two-year cohort study of male partners of HIV-positive women in Rakai, Uganda, in which 40 of 137 uncircumcised men became infected, compared with 0 of 50 circumcised men.

Mapping of the HIV epidemic that has demonstrated a strong correlation between regions with higher levels of HIV infection and those with lower MC rates.

A Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) multisite study that found MC to be a principal factor in the large and pervasive disparities in HIV prevalence across different African regions. Similar patterns have been observed in South and Southeast Asia.

http://www.usaid.gov/our_work/global_health/aids/TechAreas/research/mcfactsheet.html

I know a lot of moms who think it is downright cruel to circumcize their kids but other moms who can't believe that it is not manditory!

Go figure.

Speaking as a woman, I don't think it really matters.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 06:22 pm
Half of my brothers were circumcised. The other half was not. None has ever suffered for it one way or the other. It was a good custom when people didn't know to keep clean. Now, it is unnecessary, except to people with a bias.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 06:42 pm
If not being circumcised would contribute to higher incidents
of HIV and AIDS then half of Europe would be HIV infected.
Very few European men are circumcised.

I believe circumcision is predominately done in the
United States and within the jewish religion.

My jewish Godchild was circumcised at home by a Rabbi
and frankly I could not bear to hear him scream, I had to
leave the room.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 06:46 pm
agree with cj - mostly it just does not need to be done anymore
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 06:53 pm
I'm really the same way CJane.

Mo was circumcised and I paid for it but I was unconvinced.

It was really important to Mo's bio mom and dad (dad it seems was not circumcised and was embarrased about it).

They didn't have the money to do it -- about $160.00 and asked me if I would pay for it.

I..... fudged. I couldn't bring myself to pay for something that I thought was barbaric.

Instead I gave this very poor family $200 and told them that they could do with it what they wanted.

Despite their dire finacinal situation and having $200 cash in hand, they had Mo circumcised.

To some people it is very important.

But the AIDs thing was just published last week. There is certainly a lot of contradictory evidence, both anecdotal and scientific.

Most of the more educated, non-Jewish, moms I know do not have their children circumcised -- but that was before the release of this lastest data.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 07:01 pm
My opinion is that if you are going to have it done; the sooner the better. It seems a thing best not remembered too well.

Now, back when the earth was much younger, I attended a Red Cross mother and baby care class. As our instructor delicately pointed out, if you chose not to circumsize, someone is going to have to teach the boy how to keep himself clean. Sorry 'bout that, kid.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 07:05 pm
I agree with Roger. If it is done, 'twere well it was done quickly.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 07:05 pm
I read an article in Maxim of all places describing circumcision. I don't remember exactly what it was, but it made it seem it was a pretty suck-ass procedure for the baby.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 07:13 pm
better go and watch the "seinfeld" episode
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 07:17 pm
I was in the hospital... recovering from my first pregnancy and happened down a corridor, peeked in a small room.

There was a small baby boy, legs taped apart, naked and his whole body vividly red, as though he'd been burned. His mouth was an open pit with a scream so loud that it could not be heard.

I shuffled away and swore that I never would let that happen to my kid.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 07:17 pm
I remember an article about Richard Branson, the head of Virgin/Atlantic, deciding to be circumcised in his 40s and it not being a...... an...... entirely wise decision on some counts.

I can't remember why he decided to have it done or if the article even mentioned they why.

But I will have to agree with guys who say that if you're going to do it, do it early.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 08:25 pm
When I was young back when the earth was too I worked in many clerical jobs in our local hospital. I distinctly remember that circumcision, a charge on many OB bills, was $2.00......
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 08:27 pm
Wow, it surely sounds painfull - and I guess it was! I agree with you in the fact that it needs to be done quickly.

Here in Mexico a good percentage of people seem to have the procedure. Nothing to do with religion really, as there is no jew in sight.

And yes, it seems to be something entirely stadistical-percentual-not-for-certain type of thing. However, a partner just got the procedure and he states that his sex life has been better ever since. Could that be the stronger reason after all?

Thanks so far for the insights!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 08:04 am
el_pohl wrote:
...Here in Mexico ... there is no jew in sight. ...

I've got cousins in El Ciudad de México, and they are as Jewish as I am. Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 08:18 am
i dont care how young it is done, I believe we remeber it.
it plants a seed of pain that isnt necessary isnt a baby .
Here they are, new to the world, have no ability to speak, defend themselves, and completely rely on us for any and all support.. and out of the blue, they get thier body cut off.
scary, painfull, traumatic.. you name it.

But in the end, the decision belongs to the parents Rolling Eyes but I am from the stand point that, it should be decided on when the man is old enough to speak his mind about it.

As for the sexual diseases..
The only way that , that info applies is if someone does not know how to properly clean their penis.
That would be the fault of the parents, not the foreskin..
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 09:00 am
my two cents....I much prefer circumcised men.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 10:24 am
Jespah: Wow... I have known a couple of Jews but... they dont have a significant percentage... I suppose.

Shewolf: I agree, the foreskin is not to blame.

Chai: Im smiling. Smile
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 12:28 pm
if they do decide to do it, and do it SOON, I think it would be good for them to get a mohel to do it rather than a doctor.

A mohel performs the jewish right of circumcision, a bris and does many more every year than any doctor does. Much more experienced.

Queen Elizabeth choose to use a mohel for her sons.

Jespah?
0 Replies