Dear Laura Bush:

snood

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:31 pm
You're right, Tico. I don't know what every soldier thinks. But just because I agree with the polls that say that most Americans believe this war was not a good idea, doesn't make me someone that "can't fathom" that some people believe it was, and is.

I'm just a little tired of the implication (and if you haven't made it, this doesn't apply to you) that anyone who doesn't believe in this war is any less a warrior, or any less aware of what is important.

And I stand by my opinion that most people in the Army wouldn't know George Tenet from George of the jungle. Or care.

It's nice to "fight for what one believes in". It's even nicer if you know just what the hell that is.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:31 pm
snood wrote-

Quote:
What do you "suggest"?

I've no futtling idea mate.Mine not to reason why and all that.(Tennyson I think.)

It's these toy soldier Napoleons who get my knickers in a twist.10 seconds in Mr Bush's seat and they would all be playing the pants game on the Trivia threads.Which is sometimes quite funny.

Ever watch Bilko?or Carry On Up The Khyber?or It Ain't Half Hot Mum?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:41 pm
Quote:
I didn't reali\e our boys in the desert comprised all soldiers in the US military. I also could have sworn we had some girls there too.
Quote:

What's up with that?They raise the tone don't they?
I once saw a washing line with 20 pairs of knickers flapping in the wind on it and it cheered us all up no end.Eyes right.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 06:56 pm
Interesting that you should quote Tennyson in this context, Spendius, inasmuch as "The Charge of the Light Brigade" describes an event which is a textbook example of soldiers bravely following the orders of totally incompetent officers and riding heroically into certain annihiliation.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 08:43 pm
spendius wrote:
And so do I.An invitation from Mrs Bush is not a street corner.

Yes, yes, yes. You are certainly right.

An invitation to speak in front of 85,000 people provides a much busier enterprise than the average street corner.

I kind of like Laura Bush but she isn't some kind of God and neither is her husband.

I don't think the letter was entirely called for. It was a bit rude.

Dorothy Parker surely could have done much better.

But to say our soldiers (or "our boys") morale is reduced by some letter from some poet they probably never heard of to some lady who is married to some employee is downright absurd.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 09:27 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I didn't reali\e our boys in the desert comprised all soldiers in the US military. I also could have sworn we had some girls there too.

Were you trying to make a point, BVT/BPB? I suspect not, but you never know. If so, you should clarify what, exactly, it was.

figure it out on your own. A good exercise.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 09:45 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

Were you trying to make a point, BVT/BPB? I suspect not, but you never know. If so, you should clarify what, exactly, it was.

figure it out on your own. A good exercise.

... in futility.
0 Replies