Dear Laura Bush:

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 09:22 am
Sturgis wrote:
Amigo wrote:
A document of the ages

Same has been said about Mein Kampf

Congratulations, Sturgis, you have officially Godwined this thread.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 10:37 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Sturgis wrote:
Amigo wrote:
A document of the ages

Same has been said about Mein Kampf

Congratulations, Sturgis, you have officially Godwined this thread.

'Bout time, if you ask me.

(This link will work: Godwin's Law)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:15 am
Sturgis wrote:
And a lot of not politicians as well who can do nothing but rant, rave and accuse...are you forgetting, have you forgotten already, that is why the Democrats are so far out of power. All yap with no zap.

As opposed to bushco...pedantic rap, plenty of zap, but all full of crap.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:25 am
and btw sturgis old girl, no one had more zap than Hitler... so if we are nazis by association for admiring this girls letter, you must surely be a nazi by association for admiring all that zap.

My assertion is certainly no more stoopid than yours.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:57 am
We don't have any poets like that in this country.Our poets will sup with the very Devil himself if the grub is good and there's plenty of booze and the prospect of an honour.

It isn't often though that one gets the pleasure of seeing just how pompous and vainglorious some female American "academics" have become since you have all been cowed into stopping laughing at them.

She wears her virtues like Soviet generals used to wear their medals.

Who says she's a poet anyway?

And what do your and our boys out in the heat of the desert think when they hear such self satisfied,opinionated guff.Bloody gutted I should think.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:04 pm
We don't have any poets like that in this country.Our poets will sup with the very Devil himself if the grub is good and there's plenty of booze and the prospect of an honour.

It isn't often though that one gets the pleasure of seeing just how pompous and vainglorious some female American "academics" have become since you have all been cowed into stopping laughing at them.

And what do your and our boys out in the heat of the desert think when they hear such self satisfied,opinionated guff.Bloody gutted I should think.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:34 pm
spendius wrote:

it's the assholes who sent them there for their own gain who should be gutted.....
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:35 pm
I just read 1954 and A Week Later.

If you think that's poetry I hardly know what to say.

Would you really put those in the same bag as Shakespeare or Pope or Swinburne or Emily Bronte or Philip Larkin or Ovid?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:39 pm
depends. art is something that resonates with an individual. If it resonates with someone, it's art. that's that.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:43 pm
Quote:
it's the **** who sent them there for their own gain who should be gutted.....

That's another story.I asked what the troops felt about such stuff.They are there NOW.

Why didn't the lady simply decline the invitation with a polite excuse in a private letter to Mrs Bush?

Answer those.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:47 pm
Quote:
depends. art is something that resonates with an individual. If it resonates with someone, it's art. that's that.

In that case everything is art.Mr Bush's speeches "resonated" with a majority of Americans.Millions in fact.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:47 pm
spendius wrote:
Quote:
it's the **** who sent them there for their own gain who should be gutted.....

That's another story.I asked what the troops felt about such stuff.They are there NOW.

Why didn't the lady simply decline the invitation with a polite excuse in a private letter to Mrs Bush?

Answer those.

because she wanted to make her feelings known to her. Problem? You right wing ty[es have no problem speaking out in a strong way about how you feel about "liberals" and your negative view of them. Wassa matter, can dish it out but can't take it?

Dick Cheney, "what an a s shole and get f**cked, if you want to talk polite behavior and conduct. And isn't it our leaders who are to set the tone for us? Well, they have. Laughing
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:53 pm
Quote:
because she wanted to make her feelings known to her.

Fine.No objection to that.Why go public?

BTW-I'm No wing.

The 2 questions remain unanswered.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:10 pm
spendius wrote:

I think our boys out in the heat of the desert would say that a citizen's right to speak freely is one of the things they are bloody fighting for.

Except maybe in this war.

Then it's really anybody's guess.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:37 pm
"Our boys" in the desert would by and large regurgitate what they think their superiors want to hear. the occasional one or two would tell you the war is stupid, but most serve pretty mindlessly. Sad, but true.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:55 pm
snood wrote:
"Our boys" in the desert would by and large regurgitate what they think their superiors want to hear. the occasional one or two would tell you the war is stupid, but most serve pretty mindlessly. Sad, but true.

What a bunch of drivel. You obviously don't think highly of the military, and can't fathom that there are those who believe in what they are fighting for. Pathetic.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:58 pm
Quote:
I think our boys out in the heat of the desert would say that a citizen's right to speak freely is one of the things they are bloody fighting for.

I don't think they would think that at all.I have a link somewhere into what they do think.I'll check if I can get it on for you but from what I've seen of it there are very few armchair social philosophers who just use the cheap oil.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:58 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
snood wrote:

What a bunch of drivel. You obviously don't think highly of the military, and can't fathom that there are those who believe in what they are fighting for. Pathetic.

I think highly enough of it that if I am in a unit that gets called, I would go and fight. that's highly enough. and the opinion I hold about the level of thoughtfulness of the average Joe in the Army, I get from experience. Go 'drivel' that.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:01 pm
I don't need a link, spendius. My brother is a General in the army and I talk to him a couple of times a week.

I stand by my previous comment.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:08 pm
I have to admit that the lads don't think or care too much about the finer points of political in-fighting back home.

But that letter To Mrs Bush does tend,along with much else,to undermine morale.And,if I may be permitted an opinion,probably in the service of selling books in order to fund a drive to look good in the latest fashion accessories.She could,after all pass up going to the hairdressers and donate the savings to the cause of your choice.
0 Replies