Dear Laura Bush:

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:18 pm
Quote:
I don't need a link, spendius. My brother is a General in the army and I talk to him a couple of times a week.

Well,one would expect a general to have higher ideals.I wasn't meaning generals.And people speaking to generals,as snood says,do tend to be well behaved at the time.

Your brother has my best wishes.You might ask him what he thinks of the letter to Mrs Bush and tell him not to play cards with any tribesmen without his body armour on.They are bad losers.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:18 pm
I doubt that a letter by a poet is going to undermine morale much. I doubt this is much on their radar, what with being more concerned about being shot at and stuff.

Saying "I could sit down to dinner with you to sell my books if I wanted to lose my self-respect" is hardly whining. And this might get through to some folks when more strident messages are filtered out.

And "look in the mirror and see if you really like the person you see" is a message everyone should take to heart from time to time.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:21 pm
I feel a lot of love on this thread.....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:25 pm
snood wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
snood wrote:
"Our boys" in the desert would by and large regurgitate what they think their superiors want to hear. the occasional one or two would tell you the war is stupid, but most serve pretty mindlessly. Sad, but true.

What a bunch of drivel. You obviously don't think highly of the military, and can't fathom that there are those who believe in what they are fighting for. Pathetic.

I think highly enough of it that if I am in a unit that gets called, I would go and fight. that's highly enough. and the opinion I hold about the level of thoughtfulness of the average Joe in the Army, I get from experience. Go 'drivel' that.

It appears you're suggesting that because you are not thoughtful, the average Joe in the Army is not thoughtful. Well, that certainly does sound like the thinking of a person who is not thoughtful. You have made a point ... perhaps not the one you intended, but a point nonetheless.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:26 pm
spendius wrote:
...any tribesmen...

Who knew spendius was so enlightened?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:27 pm
where are you currently servig Tico? How many tours of viet nam or Iraq for you?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:31 pm
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I doubt that a letter by a poet is going to undermine morale much.

Well that's nice.You doubt it do you.How reassuring.
It looked like a crusade in the bud to me.Mr Bush's supporters are hardly likely to buy poetry of that nature.

It was a gesture.Why go public?And in that way?One could easily have declined the invitation with thanks and presented a feeble enough excuse to leave nobody concerned in any doubt of the real reason and left it at that.Any poet could handle such a simple task.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:32 pm
spendius wrote:
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looked like a crusade in the bud to me.Mr Bush's supporters are hardly likely to buy poetry of that nature.

It was a gesture.Why go public?And in that way?One could easily have declined the invitation with thanks and presented a feeble enough excuse to leave nobody concerned in any doubt of the real reason and left it at that.Any poet could handle such a simple task.

Not a poet with a political message, spendi.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:48 pm
A lieutenant overtly disagreeing with a colonel, or a private overtly disagreeing with a sergeant, is like to have an unpleasant and/or short career in the military.

I'm sure the higher brass have some opinions on the war that they would not necessarily discuss on the record, too.

I've certainly never discussed my political thoughts with my boss.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:14 pm
Quote:
Not a poet with a political message, spendi.
Quote:

Yeah I know Tico.I read some.Real "put some backbone into the nation " stuff it is too.

It's political alright.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:36 pm
spendius wrote:
Quote:

Should be. A nice example of the freedom of speech, one of the freedoms that folks in uniform are supposed to protect.

spendius wrote:

And why are you in such a twist about it?

BTW, you have something against spaces at the ends of your sentences?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:40 pm
spendius wrote:

Well,one would expect a general to have higher ideals.I wasn't meaning generals.And people speaking to generals,as snood says,do tend to be well behaved at the time.

Your brother has my best wishes.You might ask him what he thinks of the letter to Mrs Bush and tell him not to play cards with any tribesmen without his body armour on.They are bad losers.

Well that would work except that he hasn't always been a General. He had to work his way up. The army is funny that way.

Thank you for the good wishes.

We've talked about things similar to this letter over the years and I have a pretty good idea that he would think she has a right to her opinion and to scream it from any street corner she wants.

He's played cards all over the Middle East for more years than I care to think about. From what I understand they aren't any worse losers than anyone else.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:45 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
snood wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
snood wrote:
"Our boys" in the desert would by and large regurgitate what they think their superiors want to hear. the occasional one or two would tell you the war is stupid, but most serve pretty mindlessly. Sad, but true.

What a bunch of drivel. You obviously don't think highly of the military, and can't fathom that there are those who believe in what they are fighting for. Pathetic.

I think highly enough of it that if I am in a unit that gets called, I would go and fight. that's highly enough. and the opinion I hold about the level of thoughtfulness of the average Joe in the Army, I get from experience. Go 'drivel' that.

It appears you're suggesting that because you are not thoughtful, the average Joe in the Army is not thoughtful. Well, that certainly does sound like the thinking of a person who is not thoughtful. You have made a point ... perhaps not the one you intended, but a point nonetheless.

I talk to people, tico. And I teach a large group of new soldiers everyday. Half of them can't tell you who the frikkin Secretary of State is. It isn't that hard to figure out that their raisons d'etre have nothing to do with deeply held beliefs about anything except getting college money, and learning a marketable trade. You want to believe that everyone is as sold out as you are to this crazed president and this crazy war - I understand.
But even a cursory glance at any statistic source tells the story. Only a few stalwart, very studiously ignorant can't see the folly in this war.

And by blindly and passionately defending this administration, you make an unintended point about yourself, as well.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:53 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
and btw sturgis old girl, no one had more zap than Hitler... so if we are nazis by association for admiring this girls letter, you must surely be a nazi by association for admiring all that zap.

My assertion is certainly no more stoopid than yours.

Once again snookums, I must remind you that I am a man.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 04:21 pm
Quote:
And why are you in such a twist about it?

Why not?Aren't we all.Are they not all out there so we can get in a twist if we want to do.
I think it was a disrespectful and cliched way of shouting from the rooftops.Mrs Bush might not have agreed with the sort of refusal I suggested but I think she would have respected it.I can't see her respecting that method.

Quote:
We've talked about things similar to this letter over the years and I have a pretty good idea that he would think she has a right to her opinion and to scream it from any street corner she wants.
Quote:

And so do I.An invitation from Mrs Bush is not a street corner.
Suit yourself on the cards thing.

Quote:
But even a cursory glance at any statistic source tells the story. Only a few stalwart, very studiously ignorant can't see the folly in this war.

Folly or not we are in it.What do you suggest?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 04:41 pm
Tico, I think you are being studiously unfair to Snood. He was speaking of the opinions -- or lack thereof -- of the soldiers he comes into contact with daily, not of his own opinons. (He has expressed his own opinions quite lucidly both on this thread, as well as on others.) I admit it's more than 30 years since my own time in the army, but Snood's description of the mindset of the average GI rings quite true. A few have actual opinions of their own; the others practice 'group-think.' Come to think of it, that probably fairly accurately reflects the mindset of most civilians as well. Apart from those of us who post on boards such as this, how many Americans are actually capable of original thought? They echo what they have heard the media tell them.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 04:57 pm
Spendius,
I suggest we get the hell out, even though I know the underlying (and there's a lot of 'under' and 'lying' going on) motives for being in Iraq will compel us to maintain several permanent bases for a long long time.

I suggest that Bush and company be held accountable for getting us into a war under false pretenses. I suggest that everyone take the blindfolds off and acknowledge that this was an unnecessary war.

What do you "suggest"?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:10 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Tico, I think you are being studiously unfair to Snood. He was speaking of the opinions -- or lack thereof -- of the soldiers he comes into contact with daily, not of his own opinons. (He has expressed his own opinions quite lucidly both on this thread, as well as on others.) I admit it's more than 30 years since my own time in the army, but Snood's description of the mindset of the average GI rings quite true. A few have actual opinions of their own; the others practice 'group-think.' Come to think of it, that probably fairly accurately reflects the mindset of most civilians as well. Apart from those of us who post on boards such as this, how many Americans are actually capable of original thought? They echo what they have heard the media tell them.

MA, snood was not limiting his remarks to his observations of soldiers he comes into contact with. He, like you (albeit with 30 year old memories), attempted to define the mindset of all soldiers in the US military. He was referring to "our boys" in the desert, and purported to know "by and large" what they think. He did not limit his remarks to his own personal observations of a certain small percentage of troops. If he wants to amend his remarks, perhaps he should do so.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:21 pm
I didn't reali\e our boys in the desert comprised all soldiers in the US military. I also could have sworn we had some girls there too.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:28 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I didn't reali\e our boys in the desert comprised all soldiers in the US military. I also could have sworn we had some girls there too.

Were you trying to make a point, BVT/BPB? I suspect not, but you never know. If so, you should clarify what, exactly, it was.
0 Replies