Supressed memories & when they come back. What triggers them

Chai

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:25 pm
ossobuco wrote:
IAnother friend has seen clients in the evening as she has worked with people in the film industry .

oh, those crazy "show biz" people. :wink: that's a horse of a different color then.

sorry I came across in a snit, I'm old and tired.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:39 pm
Whoa first off if I wanted attention... I;d talk to my real life friends about it... but I am too damn embarassed... my grandparents are stuck up assholes that will basically disown me if I go to a therapist... my mother left me in a mental institution when I was 10 because my step father is an alcoholic and she had a bad f*cking day.... they told me I was normal and that my mom was a bad mother...

My grandparents took me in and told me that I would never see a therapist again... I went behind there back when I was 18 and I saw one... they were so hurt by it...

Trust me I don't want attention at all Chai... if it makes you feel any better I will just stop posting my problems... I can't see a therapist for the consquences that will come from it.... I just wanted info on the subject and I truely do appreciate your input

But sometimes doing the right this is wrong... and in this case a therapist is not a good idea.... I will not open up to them due to the lack of trust and hatred I have towards them
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:42 pm
Sorry you got my defenses up there... I just really can't see a therapist..... I can't handle it...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 04:40 pm
Well, I don't know what to say, CLady. Surely keep posting here. I didn't understand why you aren't seeing a therapist.
I wish you'd talk to your regular doctor then about mood swings and such.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 07:56 am
I don't have mood swings... that is what I ahte about typing, you can never hear anyone's voice tone...

Is there anyway to close out a thread.... I really don't want to talk about this anymore
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 03:11 pm
If you stop posting, so will others.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:21 pm
Well I just came across this thread, CL, and read it all. First off, if you are not ready to see a therapist for any reason, you darn well don't have to! Therapists cannot always help, given the particular stage you're at.

Second, your feeling you want to address your memories and then shutting down and not wanting to talk about it at all is very common in cases like ours. Almost every person who has repressed memories goes through this cycle in very similar ways... they want help, then they want to completely forget about it.

So know that this cycle is OK and even to be expected. You are not unusual and you are not to be blamed for it.

Chai Tea is just not familiar with this process and takes it personally. That's OK. I can't tell you how many people I've annoyed and disappointed over the years with my own wanting to deal with it and then wanting to shut it down.

Third, I had many years of repressed memories and therapy myself for severe childhood abuse, and I can tell you therapy is not necessarily the answer for your problems, because it certainly was not FOR ME.

After 7 years of talking to a therapist about my own repressed memories, I was told (by this same therapist) I'd "made it all up" due to "shitty therapy." Frankly I was worse off after this than if I'd never seen a therapist at all.

But there are things you can do. Most important, I think, is to remember to be kind and gentle with yourself. It always helped me to try my best to comfort the part of me that still felt like a helpless little kid. You probably have a part like that too. Be kind to her.

Also remember you are not by any means alone. There are thousands upon thousands of us who have gone through the same process. We can understand. There may still be some internet boards where you can talk freely about this stuff when you want... then NOT talk when you want.

You are in your twenties, yes? I am now 44 and I can tell you I am through it, over it, and free. It was not by any means easy, but in many ways I'm a better person today than I would have been had the abuse never happened. And I never dreamed I'd be able to say that! My own twenties were VERY difficult!

You can also read about repressed memories and how to deal with them whenever you're ready. My favorite book on the topic is "The Courage to Heal" by Ellen Bass and Laura Davis. Check your local library for other books, too. After all, they're free.

Allow yourself to shut down. Allow yourself to remember. Your body and your heart knows what you're ready to remember and what you're NOT ready to remember. You can trust the process, honest, even when it feels like you're really out of control.

PM me when you have your next crisis... it will come, and you will make it through it OK, and when you're done with it, you'll forget for a while. It's all OK. OK?

Also, CL, I'm writing all this not just for you, but for the other many, many people (women, mostly) who have repressed memories and are just as frightened and confused as I ever was. I hope lots of people read this and are helped, even just a little bit, but what I've written. Smile
0 Replies

sweetie

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 01:31 pm
supressed memories
To the Crazy Lady, I know alot of people that have gone through what you have, including myself. I wanted to assure you that you are not alone, you are not crazy, and if you have no full memories, that is ok, don't fight the memories, just let them come on their own.

The book that helped me alot is The Courage to heal by Laura Davis and Ellen. It's for survivor's of childhood sexual abuse. I don't know what your memories are telling you, but they usually are accurate.

About 7 months ago, I started having crazy images too, turned out my Step-Father was raping me for years, no wonder I blocked it. Therapy is a very good thing, also reading up on incest, and childhood sexual abuse. You may have surpressed other memories, I couldn't say, but my "crazy" memories were not at all crazy, and it was very hard to face, but facing them made it worth it.

For sure, talk to someone, therapy is not a weakness.
0 Replies