Supressed memories & when they come back. What triggers them

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 11:12 am
I have a really bad memory... or so I thought... I mean I barely remember anything from my childhood... but lately I have been getting alot of flashbacks... I mean alot.....

And they are really starting to bother me now... I don't know what has triggered this to happen, I mean I forgot about these memories for a reason, but now they are so vivid and real..

Is there a certain point where the brain won't suppress anything?

Is there anything I can do to try and figure out what is triggering this to happen?

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,087 • Replies: 27
No top replies

JPB

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 11:57 am
hmmmm, I'm not a professional so whatever I say is just an idea. It's interesting how the flashbacks have started since other issues in your life have settled down and you've come to a better place emotionally. Maybe your life was too full of other junk to have room for these memories before and somehow your psyche has opened up the door to your past because you're ready to face it.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:42 pm
I don't feel as though I am ready to face it now.... It is getting me a little down...

Everytime I have a good thought a bad memory seems to flood my brain
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 02:47 pm
Crazielady,
I would highly suggest finding a good therapist.

This same thing happened to me. After years of living as though I was okay, the flashbacks came. They came at a time when I felt safe, I was in love, and I was doing well.

They need to be worked through. They will find a way to let themselves known to you, so I highly suggest seeking a professional to help guide you through the process before it creates a serious upheaval in your life.

good luck.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 02:52 pm
Flushd what kind of therapist would I look for for this tho?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 04:25 pm
Do you have insurance? What will it cover?
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 04:30 pm
C.L. : Smile Pardon me for butting in,but your posts cry out for immediate action. When i was employed
in the counseling field, there were untold numbers of people whose past had driven them to depression,or to the repression of the bad event{s}. Imo,you shouldn't delay in getting counseling to find out what is bothering you,and why.
To me it sounds like you have post-traumatic stress disorder that is resurfacing after years of being in hiding. I agree with the other poster who said that your current happiness with your new love, is allowing more room for old memories.
It concerns me that you say you have little or no memories of childhood.
When the time comes,look for a counselor/therapist who can take you step-by step thru your flashbacks,dreams,etc. It might be helpful if the therapist has experience working with people who have post-traumatic stress disorder.
Don't delay,C.L.
God bless your efforts,Smile
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 08:09 am
I would really love to see a therapist about this, but I don't have the time.... By the time I get out of work and go home to shower it is 6:30.... Nobody seems to be available late in the evening

And my family wouldn't approve too much of it
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:48 pm
Shocked

Why wouldn't your family approve, Issy? If you're having flashbacks and bad dreams why wouldn't they want you to get some help?

Can you make appts over your lunch hour or first thing in the morning?
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:55 pm
Anything can trigger back memories. An odor, image, word, music, name, movement. Seeing someone else's life drama can trigger a similar experience memory. Just about anything can trigger your memory.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:57 pm
Your body is telling you that you are ready to remember. Now being ready, and not wanting to face it are two different things. Trust your body, and don't be afraid.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:04 pm
CL Smile Don't let a lack of time or money be an excuse not to get therapy. Some counselors will work Saturdays,or on your lunch hour if you ask. You can also try to work out a payment plan if needed.Also,don't use your family as an excuse not to get counseling. If you are at or over age 18,then you are a legal adult and can make your own decisions. While you are considering this,keep an accurate written diary {not your public blog}
about these dreams/memories/flashbacks. It will help you clarify what's going on. If you have ever done any recreational LSD or other hallucenogenics
in the past,they can flash back on you too.
Good luck!
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:20 pm
Never done any LSD or hallucenogenics... Way too much of a wimp to mess with that lol

My family doesn't approve of therapists... I had a really bad experience when I was younger and it would kill them to see me go back...
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:33 pm
supressed memories...
Very Happy That's a bummer,CL, when 1 bad therapist spoils it for everyone else.
However,that doesn't mean that you'll have more bad experiences with anyone else. It's all fine and good to consider your family's feelings,but when it comes right down too it, you have to put these flashbacks to rest
and get on with your life. The best way to do that is with therapy. You are
under no obligation to ask your family's permission for this.

Peace and good luck Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:21 pm
A while back you were going through a time where everyone was telling you that you needed to go see a therapist

You brought up the same arguements about your mother telling you that you shouldn't go, and that you couldn't get a therapist to see you at nights or on the weekends.

You were really depressed at the time, but then went into a manic cycle where everything was wonderful, and you didn't need to see anyone because your problems were gone.

Frankly, you know therapists don't see patients off regular hours, especially a new patient. And you are over 18, so you family doesn't have anything to do with it.

Sorry if this pisses you off, but you know all this already, and if you are having problems, you know what to do.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:28 pm
I am not seeking theraputic help right now, I was just curious about suppressed memories... but thank you and I know... if I want help it is my choice not anyone elses'
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 01:48 pm
Chai Tea, didn't you mean therapist do see patients off regular hours? My friend who is a therapist did, at any rate.

Crazie Lady, I agree with the advice about seeking counselling.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 02:05 pm
C.L. If your employer has an "employee assistance program" at your work,this would be a place to start to seek help and clarification of your flashbacks. No one on your job will ever know you are seeking help,or for what. Also,see if your county has a mental health society that can steer you to low-cost help.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:00 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Chai Tea, didn't you mean therapist do see patients off regular hours? My friend who is a therapist did, at any rate.

Crazie Lady, I agree with the advice about seeking counselling.

the point I was trying to make was that cl in her original post directly asked what she can do to figure out what triggers this....

if she is indeed having repressed memories coming forward, she knows that in order to figure out what is triggering this she needs to see a professional.

honestly, i feel a little duped by cl because in the past she professed such profound emotional distress, and many people rallied around her, all of us saying she needed to see someone, educating her on mental health hotlines in the workplace, how to go about getting help, getting referrals, and on and on.

cl threw up barrier after barrier about her family, weekends, nights, work, money. she didn't come across as seriously looking for help as long as she had an audience. then, one day she is completely over it, not needing help, very happy, etc.

lately cl says she's seeing faces that aren't her own in mirrors, having these memories, and I don't know what all. Then, when reminded of her past threads she claims she's just curious about repressed memories. That doesn't sound like trying to find out what triggers them to me.

yes, I suppose some therapists do see patients on off hours....however, I wouldn't count of it, and wouldn't think a therapist would see a first time patient on a weekend or night. If you think about it, a therapist can't even be sure a first time visitor will even show up for an appointment, the potential patient is an unknown entity, and I'd bet $2.00 that the therapist doesn't want to waste an evening or part of a weekend for a complete stranger that might not even show up...The first few visits are pretty intense, what with getting to know each other an all.

Your friend, does he/she see his regular patients that he has an established relationship with, or brand new people?

Anyway, yes I do think cl needs help of some type, based on looking at things she says at a whole. But right now, I honestly think she's just fishing for attention.

I guess I won't win any popularity awards for saying this here, what with some very kind people offering caring advice.

However, I really didn't like being made a fool, by putting myself out there to be someone elses amusement.

guess I don't need to be on this thread, because I'm gonna do nothing but piss CL off with the truth.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:13 pm
I haven't participated in this or more recent threads because I remember well the first threads of advice to CL re therapists and have understood that C. Lady wasn't really taking it all to heart.

On therapists, my cousin is often referred patients in her specialty by other therapists and does see people in the early evening. She routinely gets home at 9:30 at night, after writing up her case notes. On the other hand, she's always been a night owl and it works for her.
Another friend has seen clients in the evening as she has worked with people in the film industry and their and her hours made sense doing that. Those weren't late in the evening, but certainly after 5 pm.

I was piping up because I know of these exceptions. It is likely true that most professional therapists see people in more regular daytime hours.
0 Replies