Negro's Riot

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 07:18 pm
Thanx Roger. I appreciate that. I'm at such a loss as to how anyone can think of other human beings in such a manner.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 08:05 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
I'm at such a loss as to how anyone can think of other human beings in such a manner.

Well, you should be familiar with how anyone can think of other human beings in such a manner. In Matthew Ch.15, Jesus likened a Canaanite woman to a dog, the Canaanites being the Judeans' favorite peoples.

He reminded her that he was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel, but because she did know her place, like that of a dog eating the crumbs fallen from her master's table, she demonstrated great faith to him, and he granted her petition, and cured her daughter, the swell guy.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 08:22 pm
Infrablue,

If you are going to quote something of the Bible, perhaps it would be best to convey the whole story going on.

Matthew 15:22-28

"Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession."

Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us."

He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."

The woman came and knelt before him, "Lord, help me!" she said.

He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."

"Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table."

Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that very hour.

Now, Infrablue, can you point out to me in the above verses just where Christ is being anything but loving and healing?

He had compassion for the woman and her daughter. He healed the daughter. Just because he used an analogy as he did, it does not mean he felt the woman was no better than a dog. That is your interpreation of the verse.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 08:33 pm
I am reading the verse exactly as it is written, MA.

Why would he remind her that he was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel, and then tell her that it is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 09:04 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
I am reading the verse exactly as it is written, MA.

Why would he remind her that he was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel, and then tell her that it is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs?

And why do you pick out something that seems to be negative and totally ignore that he healed the daughter because the woman had faith?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 09:50 pm
I am disturbed that this individual is allowed to post such comments on A2K. Hopefully, the mods will do something about it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 09:59 pm
What's a Desi?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 10:16 pm
That was the first question that came to mind, Lash. I'd almost be willing to bet it's some kind of complimentary ethnic reference.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 10:23 pm
Lash: As nearly as I can tell,when I Googled the word "Desi" it came up with bunches of possibilities,most of which referred to people from India,especially Punjab. There are websites that call themselves Desi,so it may be a socially acceptable phrase.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 10:25 pm
Roger and Lash: May be it is an ok phrase,but surely there are better words.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 10:37 pm
I thought Ethiopians were black? If so, then his mother is black, because he said she was Ethiopian. How can love reside in a heart thats full of the venom of hate Question Shocked
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 10:57 pm
I wonder if this is just a matter of someone from a particular ethnic/cultural background not understanding the current mores in another culture.

The poster is Arab-Ethiopian. Ethiopians aren't Negrito or Negro. I didn't study anthropology so I'm guessing here. I wonder then if this isn't just a simple observation (I'm referring to the useof the word "Negro") based on cultural background/understanding.

Someone who is from that cultural background may not understand the sensitivities surrounding race in the US.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 11:00 pm
riot.....
Confused Angelique,I was thinking the same thing. If Kas hates Black people,then,by extension,could we infer that he hates his own mother Question
Shocked Wow Exclamation What a concept.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 11:11 pm
Goodfielder,you may be right,but I can't see that
kind of venom being accidental. One of the guiding
principles of sites like A2k,is that we don't know who is who,and should tell our truths without using
language that will offend our site-mates.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 12:07 am
I think the venom was deliberate. But the discussion quickly focused on the use of the word "Negro." I know it's offensive to Americans because I've been to the US a number of times and I have at least a superficial understanding of some parts of American popular culture. And I'm not being falsely modest when I say "superficial", I mean it. I can't possibly understand American culture in the same way an American can. I can get by without offending anyone because I have some idea of what's acceptable (but I still retain the ability to commit a faux pas I have no doubt).

Let me illustrate. Here you would never ask an acquaintance, say someone to whom you've just been addressed, how much money they make but I have seen that done in the US by people who have only just met each other a few minutes beforehand. In Australia that would simply not be done. Note this is just an example and not meant to provoke a separate debate.

When it comes to race Australians don't understand American sensitivities and in truth I find it difficult to keep up with current conventions. I have a copy of Dr King's "I Have A Dream" speech (my ex brought it back from Atlanta in 1996 for me, she knows I admire him a great deal). Dr King back then found it quite okay to use the word "Negro." Autre temps, autre mores. Last time I visited the States for any length of time the accepted term was "African-American". Before that it was (I think) "black" (which I always found a bit objectionable due to its objectifiying of people). Now it seems another phrase is acceptable. I'm not being critical, I will observe the proper conventions both online and in actuality. The last thing I would want to do would be to offend.

But my point is that the poster may be using the term "Negro" as part of his normal expression. The disparaging remarks are another thing. But then I don't live in the UK so I don't know if his comments are accurate or inaccurate, bigoted or not.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 06:35 am
goodfielder, I see your point but while I wasn't sugar sweet in asking and pointing out his use of the word, I wasn't racist, nasty or hateful. And every post following the first uncalled for one from Kas was awful. If it's part of his "normal" expression, and wasn't meant to be hateful, he should have said "thanks for the heads up" and continued on using a more appropriate term. Instead, he let it go under the assumption that he hates blacks and doesn't care if he slurs an entire race of people.

Being an American, I don't see the point of some of the sensitivities here either but there are certain words that really strike a cord here. Using "negro" in my opinion, was the same as using "nigger" and that word, in this context, is an absolute no no.

Even if you are unaware of the terminology, I know that we'd never see you here posting such an awful post because you are not that kind of person. Smile

It's more the poster here, not the terms he used.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 07:46 am
Desi = from the Indian subcontinent. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desi
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 08:24 am
Goodfielder, I agree with your post completely. I don't think Kasaova was trying to be insulting with the choice of the word negro. His first post uses the words negro and black throughout. His choice of word was not intended to be offensive, I don't think. I do think his underlying feelings of bigotry and hatred came out in the rest of the post, which is what was truly the issue to me.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 10:51 am
J_B wrote:
Goodfielder, I agree with your post completely. I don't think Kasaova was trying to be insulting with the choice of the word negro. His first post uses the words negro and black throughout. His choice of word was not intended to be offensive, I don't think. I do think his underlying feelings of bigotry and hatred came out in the rest of the post, which is what was truly the issue to me.

I think he knew full well the connotations of the word "negro". I think he is pretty twisted, looking like he does, and talking the way he does.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 11:42 am
I agree with Snood.
0 Replies