Negro's Riot

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 04:14 pm
Hi Linda,

As an Arab/Ethiopian living in London, Kasaova is himself a minority. From the article there seems to be significant ethnic discord between the Asian and black populations. This appears to be an uprising between ethnic groups fueled by longstanding hatred and mistrust.

Kas, what was your point in posting this thread? What did you hope to achieve?
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 04:34 pm
J.B. You are right. There have been other incidents in the past,when various ethnic groups have exper-
ienced huge discord,rioting,etc. My post was directed at the basis for his blind hatred. He may very well have been personally attacked or whatever,by a member of another ethnicity,but even so,As sad as that would be,I don't see that as a reason for blind hatred of a whole race.Since he is a member of a minority,I would think he'd be
more cautious with his words
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 04:42 pm
J.B. You are right. There have been other incidents in the past,when various ethnic groups have exper-
ienced huge discord,rioting,etc. My post was directed at the basis for his blind hatred. He may very well have been personally attacked or whatever,by a member of another ethnicity,but even so,as sad as that would be,I don't see that as a reason for blind hatred of a whole race.Since he is a member of a minority,I would think he'd be
more cautious with his words
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 04:46 pm
Thanks, dys, and all you others who have taken this ... person to task.

I was winding up to tell him where to get off, and y'all took care of it.

Smile
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 05:23 pm
No prob snood, we atheists have to stick together
Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 05:41 pm
Uhoh.

Just for interest, not being American, I would not have been particularly aware that negro was considered derogatory.

Can I ask why and when that became so?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 05:47 pm
It's not always, to be sure. There is the United Negro College Fund, etc. I think we've talked about that classic "Bloom County" strip where Steve Dallas, in his P.C. phase, is trying to explain to his mom about what terminology to use.

However, in this context especially there is a strong whiff of the usage in the 50's and 60's in the South during the civil rights era, where a sneer was imbedded pretty much.

I think it was after that that it took on a taint.

I wouldn't necessarily blink at it all by itself, but the suspicion of a sneer seemed heartily confirmed by the rest of what Kasaova said.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 05:50 pm
Dlowan: To my knowledge,the word "negro" is offensive to Black people,and most other people,because the word was corrupted and
shortened and used pejoratively towards minorities
during the times when Black people were denied their human rights and kept as slaves,and treated
like property.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 05:51 pm
Found the text, but not the actual cartoon:

Quote:
Mom: That's the most adorable little colored girl playing outside.
Steve: "Colored"? You're saying "colored people" in 1988? You know better, Ma.
Mom: Then why the "National Association for Colored People"? I don't think Negroes mind at all.
Steve: Don't say "Negroes," Ma! You can't say "Negroes"!
Mom: Can I say "United Negro College Fund"?
Steve: You are baiting me, Ma!
Dad: That's it. We're leaving.
Mom: Stay put, Reginald. "Mister Socially Sensitive" isn't finished shaming his parents into enlightenment.
Steve: Everybody just calm down. Let's agree to use the the New-Age term "People of Color."
Mom: People of Color.
Steve: People of Color.
Mom: Colored people.
Steve: NO!!
Dad: We're leaving.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 05:51 pm
P.S.: It's kinda cosmically ironic that we should discuss racism,on the day Ms Rosa Parks passed away.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 06:10 pm
lindatw wrote:
P.S.: It's kinda cosmically ironic that we should discuss racism,on the day Ms Rosa Parks passed away.

good point, Linda.

I recently took a class in ensuring ethnic diversity within our religious education program. There are only a few minority or mixed families in our church but we wanted to make sure our books, stories, props, etc were not offensive. This class is where I first heard the term, 'people of color' as the current preferred choice for all non-whites.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 06:26 pm
Kasaova wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Kasaova wrote:
NeĀ·gro (nē'grō)
n. Often Offensive., pl. -groes.
A Black person. See Usage Note at black.
A member of the Negroid race. Not in scientific use.

http://www.answers.com/negro&r=67

Rolling Eyes

Well when did Spanish and prorogues for black become "offensive" it a goddamn word. What are you trying to say we shouldn't use the word black?

Such blaspheme, and from a Christian, too. Mercy goodness.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 06:37 pm
sozobe wrote:
It's not always, to be sure. There is the United Negro College Fund, etc. I think we've talked about that classic "Bloom County" strip where Steve Dallas, in his P.C. phase, is trying to explain to his mom about what terminology to use.

However, in this context especially there is a strong whiff of the usage in the 50's and 60's in the South during the civil rights era, where a sneer was imbedded pretty much.['i]

I think it was after that that it took on a taint.

I wouldn't necessarily blink at it all by itself, but the suspicion of a sneer seemed heartily confirmed by the rest of what Kasaova said.
[/b]

Now - I would have thought that was when it was very acceptable, as a way of NOT using the very offensive n word. Seemed so from the stuff I was reading about civil rights back then. Sigh.....seems to me that words for groups against whom there is prejudice just keep having to change because the prejudice catches up with the new term. I guess we will know when such prejudice in western culture against black people is over when the words used to denote them stop having to change.....

Oh my! You will get no argument from me about THAT!
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 06:51 pm
Roger: Not only from a Christian,but a minister,at that. Wow !!!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 06:52 pm
He is neither a Christian nor a Minister...IMO
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 06:57 pm
JB: I've been hearing the "person{s} of color"
phrase for a while,now. It is more all-inclusive than
naming each race. What kind of diversity course is your church using? What is your denomination ?
I was raised Episcopalian,but they,sometimes as a denomination,are becoming too intolerant for my taste.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 07:05 pm
I am truly appalled that anyone (and especially someone who is a minority themselves) would think it's okay to spout such hateful things!

I am going to pray for him. Jesus would never have treated anyone in such a manner. And for anyone offended by this person, I hope you realize he is of a small minority of those that believe they have license to do this. Please do not judge all who say they are Christian by this type of behavior.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 07:07 pm
I'm sure none of us do, Momma Angel
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 07:08 pm
Sometimes, I wish that God had made us all colour blind
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 07:15 pm
Intrepid: Amen to both of your posts !!!
0 Replies