Republicans don't think perjury is a big deal after all

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 11:23 am
It's OK for Republicans to lie under oath and commit perjury. But not OK for Democrates, including Bill Clinton and Martha Stewart. Will the Republicans rescind their impeachment of Clinton for lying about a blow job, and pardon Martha Stewart for lying like Bill Frist has? Sure, they will do the right thing? I've got to start taking my meds so I can recognize hypocracy. ---BBB

MSNBC.com
Transcript for October 23 - Meet the Press
George Allen, Kay Bailey Hutchison, Chuck Schumer, Stephen Hayes, George Packer & Frank Rich
NBC News
Updated: 11:57 a.m. ET Oct. 23, 2005

MR. TIM RUSSERT: Our issues this Sunday: the nomination of Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court, the war in Iraq, and the investigation into the CIA leak case. With us, three United States senators with very different views: Republican George Allen of Virginia, Republican Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas, and Democrat Chuck Schumer of New York.

(Excerpt):

MR. RUSSERT: Let me turn to the situation here in Washington, the CIA leak investigation, very much tied in obviously to the war in Iraq and the way it was presented to the American people. And bringing you all back to September 30, George Bush addressing the American people and he said this.

(Videotape, September 30, 2003):

PRES. GEORGE W. BUSH: If there's a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is. And if the person has violated law, the person will be taken care of.

(End videotape)

MR. RUSSERT: Now, one week later, Scott McClellan was asked specifically about Karl Rove and Scooter Libby whether they had been involved in disseminating information about Valerie Plame, the wife of Ambassador Joseph Wilson, and this is what Mr. McClellan said.

(Videotape, October 7, 2003):

MR. SCOTT McCLELLAN: They are good individuals. They're important members of our White House team, and that's why I spoke with them so that I could come back to you and say that they were not involved. I had no doubt with that in the beginning, but I like to check my information to make sure it's accurate before I report back to you. And that's exactly what I did.

(End videotape)

MR. RUSSERT: "They were not involved." Senator Allen, is that statement still operative?

SEN. ALLEN: I don't know. I wasn't in any of the grand jury investigations, and I think that from what you're saying and most indications is the prosecutor, special prosecutor Fitzgerald, will be coming out with whatever the resolution of those grand jury investigations are. So I don't know what the testimony is, what the evidence is, and I guess we'll find out sometime this week.

MR. RUSSERT: Based what's in the public domain from Judith Miller when she wrote in The New York Times and others have said publicly, do you believe that Karl Rove and Scooter Libby discussed Joseph Wilson's trip and his wife's employment at the CIA?

SEN. ALLEN: I don't know. I know that's rare from a politician. I don't know. I've been more focused on Harriet Miers' qualifications and reducing energy prices and others, and I'll leave this to the prosecution and by the way, again, due process rather than a lot of speculation on what actually is known or not said in testimony in a very closed grand jury proceeding.

MR. RUSSERT: Senator Hutchison, you think those comments from the White House are credible?

SEN. HUTCHISON: Tim, you know, I think we have to remember something here. An indictment of any kind is not a guilty verdict, and I do think we have in this country the right to go to court and have due process and be innocent until proven guilty. And secondly, I certainly hope that if there is going to be an indictment that says something happened, that it is an indictment on a crime and not some perjury technicality where they couldn't indict on the crime and so they go to something just to show that their two years of investigation was not a waste of time and taxpayer dollars. So they go to something that trips someone up because they said something in the first grand jury and then maybe they found new information or they forgot something and they tried to correct that in a second grand jury.

I think we should be very careful here, especially as we are dealing with something very public and people's lives in the public arena. I do not think we should prejudge. I think it is unfair to drag people through the newspapers week after week after week, and let's just see what the charges are. Let's tone down the rhetoric and let's make sure that if there are indictments that we don't prejudge.

MR. RUSSERT: But the fact is perjury or obstruction of justice is a very serious crime and Republicans certainly thought so when charges were placed against Bill Clinton before the United States Senate. Senator Hutchison.

SEN. HUTCHISON: Well, there were charges against Bill Clinton besides perjury and obstruction of justice. And I'm not saying that those are not crimes. They are. But I also think that we are seeing in the judicial process--and look at Martha Stewart, for instance, where they couldn't find a crime and they indict on something that she said about something that wasn't a crime. I think that it is important, of course, that we have a perjury and an obstruction of justice crime, but I also think we are seeing grand juries and U.S. attorneys and district attorneys that go for technicalities, sort of a gotcha mentality in this country. And I think we have to weigh both sides of this issue very carefully and not just jump to conclusions, because someone is in the public arena, that they are guilty without being able to put their case forward. I really object to that.

MR. RUSSERT: Senator Schumer, do you believe that comments from the White House are still credible?

SEN. SCHUMER: Well, Tim, I have a different take on this than Kay Bailey Hutchison. As you know, I was very involved in this. I had called for an investigation, had helped George Tenet talk to the FBI about why he was outraged and asked for a special counsel.

Patrick Fitzgerald is above reproach. He is totally non-political. He is a prosecutor's prosecutor. And nobody has called into question his motives. He's the type of prosecutor who will not indict just because an indictment would make headlines or he's done this for a year and a half. Nor would he shy away from an indictment if it were for real.

I, for one, am prepared to say here this morning that I will abide by Patrick Fitzgerald's decision. I think we all should. I think that Kay and George should do the same. Because Patrick Fitzgerald is a prosecutor's prosecutor, and we should abide by that. I would say one other thing about this. I think the president should make clear--he's been all over the lot on what he would do if there were indictments in the White House. And I think the president should make clear what his standard will be before prosecutor Fitzgerald makes his decision, so no one thinks that what the president does is aimed at a particular person, whether it be a secretary or the top people in the White House.

So I think it would be very, very advisable for the president to say: "Here is what my standard will be in terms of whether these people will remain in their positions should they be indicted." But Fitzgerald, prosecutor's prosecutor, totally non-political. I am willing to accept his decision, and I have no idea what it will be. I think everyone, Democrats and Republicans, should do just that.

MR. RUSSERT: Senator Schumer, there's been a widespread discussion that this is bigger than just Joseph Wilson and Valerie Plame and White House aides; that it really goes to the core of the Iraq War, what cases were made to the American people about weapons of mass destruction and other systems and other analyses and other intelligence data. Based on what you now know today, do you regret having voted for the war?

SEN. SCHUMER: Well, no, Tim, because my vote was seen and I still see it as a need to say we must fight a strong and active war on terror. But I would say this, Tim, and I would take your point in a slightly different direction. I think what we've seen in the last several months is a White House in some real degree of disarray: the war in Iraq where nobody knows what the game plan is; the budget, which is just out of control and nobody seems to have a handle on it and could wreck our economy; the prescription drug bill, the major accomplishment and everyone's confused about how it's going to be administered. The Web sites don't even work. And, of course, Katrina.

And, you know, when President Reagan was in a similar situation in his second term, he brought in a whole lot of new faces, Howard Baker, Colin Powell, and these were people who could work in a bipartisan way, whose reputation for competence was aboveboard, and I think it's time now for the president to seriously consider bringing in some new blood into the White House. He's just sort of--you know, sort of staggering along on issue after issue, and this investigation is just one of many examples of that.

MR. RUSSERT: Senator Allen, you agree with that?

SEN. ALLEN: No, I don't agree with it. And Senator Schumer is a good partisan, articulate Democrat. And I don't think the president ought to be taking advice from Senator Schumer on some of these. And you can--Karl Rove, who's a very smart, sharp and very able advisor to the president--I like Karl Rove a great deal. And, of course, the Democrats would like to have Karl Rove out. Insofar as the war in Iraq...

MR. RUSSERT: But if Mr. Rove--if Mr. Rove and/or Mr. Libby is indicted, should they step down?

SEN. ALLEN: That'll be--I think they will step down if they're indicted.

MR. RUSSERT: And they should?

SEN. ALLEN: Yes, I do think that's appropriate that--I don't see where--if they're in the midst of an indictment. But let's not say that they have been indicted. Let's--I will take this point from Senator-- from Charlie Schumer, and that is: Let's see what happens rather than get into all this speculation and so forth.

(EXCERPT):

MR. RUSSERT: And let me turn again to the CIA leak and show our audience and our panel the comments I showed our senators, from the president and Scott McClellan, because I think the country's going to be seeing a lot of these this week. George Bush, September 30, Chicago, Illinois.

(Videotape, September 30, 2003):

PRES. BUSH: If there's a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is. And if the person has violated law, that person will be taken care of.

(End videotape)

MR. RUSSERT: And again, a week later, Scott McClellan, asked specifically about the roles of Karl Rove and Scooter Libby in the dissemination of any information in this matter, said this.

(Videotape, October 7, 2003):

MR. McCLELLAN: They're good individuals. They're important members of our White House team, and that's why I spoke with them so that I could come back to you and say that they were not involved. I had no doubt of that in the beginning, but I like to check my information to make sure it's accurate before I report back to you. And that's exactly what I did.

(End videotape)

MR. RUSSERT: Frank Rich, how is the White House going to square those comments?

MR. RICH: Those comments are very important. First of all, they're not going to be able to square them clearly. They can't square them now because whether it was illegal or not, we now know that these guys were involved in disseminating information about the Wilsons. But here's the interesting thing to me, Tim, about those two statements. People forget that Patrick Fitzgerald was not always on this case. And in September of '03 when the investigation opened, it was a Justice Department investigation. It was something that Ashcroft nominally was in charge of, delegated to Justice Department officials.

So when they were making the statements, they did not see a tenacious, tough prosecutor like Patrick Fitzgerald having them in their crosshairs. They thought this was in the hands of the Justice Department. It was not until the end of that year, December 30th, that Ashcroft recused himself and turned it over to a prosecutor who would turn out to be Fitzgerald. So I think there's a--it's my theory, I can't prove it, but I think people were playing a little bit fast and loose then, thinking this thing was sort of in the bag.

MR. RUSSERT: Frank Rich, what did you think of Senator Hutchison's comments about perjury and obstruction of justice?

MR. RICH: I thought they're obviously--I thought they were a real bellwether, that they're extremely nervous. Those are the charges clearly they think are coming, and there's a story in The Washington Post by Walter Pincus today that gives further evidence that that might be the case. And so now they're trying to trivialize those crimes, and the Martha Stewart defense, which Senator Hutchison adds, to me, it's like a Twinkie defense. I don't think it's going to go very far. And it's clear to me that if there are indictments--and we don't know--this prosecutor has been leak-proof. He's sort of the un-Ken Starr in that way. It almost would have to involve these crimes because we have to assume that Robert Novak, even though he hasn't said so, told the prosecutor who talked to him long ago, and why then would that not be the end of the story if the only crime is the possible leaking of a covert CIA operative's name? There's been something else going on for months.

MR. RUSSERT: Stephen Hayes, when Scott McClellan says they were not involved, is that still operative?

MR. HAYES: No. It seems like it's not. We now know, I think, if we are to believe all these reports and all these leaks, that they were involved in fighting back against Joe Wilson. I happen to think that, you know, unless they broke the Agents' Identities Protection Act or have subsequently committed perjury or created--or tried to obstruct the investigation, that it's perfectly defensible for them to have tried to counter Joe Wilson's claims.

We have to remember, Joe Wilson came back, and when he went public, first anonymously then later with his name attached, claims that he had debunked forgeries that suggested an Iraq-Niger uranium deal, the chronology doesn't work. Wilson was in Niger in February of 2002. The U.S. government came into possession of those forgeries in October of 2002. He could not have done what he said he had done. So if you're in the White House at the time, why would you not say, "Gosh, who is this guy? Why is he saying these things that we know aren't true? And how do we fix this?"

MR. RUSSERT: But it's interesting; in terms of the sale of uranium, the State Department found his findings much more credible than did other parts of the government. We saw that--again, that division play out.

MR. HAYES: We saw--I mean, the CIA analyst who received Mr. Wilson's information or report, oral briefing, on March 5, 2002, believed that it actually enhanced the possibility that such a transaction had taken place because Wilson spoke with the prime minister of Niger.

MR. RUSSERT: And the State Department thought the exact opposite?

MR. HAYES: The State Department was on the other side.

MR. RUSSERT: Let me show you, Stephen Hayes and George Packer--this is a Web site that went up suddenly on Friday night on the Department of Justice Web site. It says their Office of Special Counsel, Patrick Fitzgerald, special counsel--suddenly, a Web site which has created another whole uproar in Washington.

MR. PACKER: Yeah. Well, people around Patrick Fitzgerald say it's coincidental timing. They've been trying to get this Web site up for weeks. They finally got it up in the week that he may well reveal his findings of his investigation. And it's also a rather bare-bones Web site. It doesn't have a lot to tell us yet. But who knows what we'll all be reading there in a few days?

MR. RUSSERT: Frank Rich, a lot of discussion about what is going on at your paper, The New York Times. Bill Keller, the executive editor, said that Judy Miller may have misled the Washington bureau chief, and then added, "...if I had known the details of Judy's entanglement with Libby, I'd have been more careful in how the paper articulated its defense, and perhaps more willing than I had been to support efforts aimed at exploring compromises."

And your colleague Maureen Dowd let loose with this on yesterday: "Woman of Mass Destruction. Judy told The Times that she plans to write a book and intends to return to the newsroom, hoping to cover `the same thing I've always covered--threats to our country.' If that were to happen, the institution most in danger would be the newspaper in your hands."

What is going on at The New York Times?

MR. RICH: Nothing good. It's a very traumatic time for the paper, and a lot of people, including myself, are in agony about it. We really don't know all the facts. The facts we do know, that The Times has tried to put out, suggests that Judy Miller might have had other opportunities to avoid going to jail that would not have compromised principle, but we're still--you know, she is in the hands of a lawyer now, Bob Bennett. She stonewalled some New York Times journalists last Sunday by refusing to answer certain questions about the whole history of this affair, and it's very troubling and it's very upsetting. And I think we need still to learn more about the story, and we also need to learn the part of the story about our own WMD stories that Judy Miller and others were contributors to, which put out some of this what we now know to be erroneous information about WMDs that were used to publicize the war and the run-up to the war in Iraq.

MR. RUSSERT: Stephen Hayes, based on all your reporting and what you know, what's your sense what's going to happen this week?

MR. HAYES: Well, I think there is a strong possibility that we'll see indictments of one or two or maybe a handful of Bush administration officials.

MR. RUSSERT: And then what?

MR. HAYES: And then I think, as Senator Allen said, I think it would be difficult for those officials to remain in their positions if they were indicted, even though indictments don't mean convictions. If they were indicted, it would be tough for them to stay and provide that advice.

MR. PACKER: We seem to see this every second term. Iran-Contra, the Lewinsky affair and now the Bush administration. The difference this time is we're at war and that we were not at war under Reagan and under Clinton. And it's pretty concerning to imagine if the White House has handled the Iraq War as badly as it has with its--without indictments, without the immense political pressure that it's now under, how is it going to handle the next year in Iraq with key aides possibly having to leave, with a sense of siege at the White House, with Republican Party pressure to see some kind of a change in Iraq? I worry about how this is going to affect the situation in Iraq.

MR. RUSSERT: To be continued. George Packer, "The Assassins' Gate: America in Iraq," "The Connection" by Stephen Hayes, and Frank Rich, we read you every Sunday in The New York Times. Gentlemen, thank you.

We'll be right back.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9764239/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,638 • Replies: 59
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 11:36 am
It's Only a "Technicality" in a Culture of Corruption
It's Only a "Technicality" in a Culture of Corruption
By Trey Ellis

If you ever doubted how deeply the "Culture of Corruption" has seeped into the very marrow of the Republican Party, you just had to listen to Texas Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison on Meet the Press. When asked about the looming possibility of Plamegate indictments, reportedly for perjury or obstruction of justice, she poo-pooed them as "technicalities."

Senator Hutchinson's absurd utterance was another GOP trial balloon intent on trying to mute public outrage. Fox and the rest of the right-wing echo chamber has been beating this drum ever since "lawyers close to the case," (probably Rove and Libby's), leaked that indictments were coming not for the felony charge of outing an undercover agent but for lying about it to federal investigators. You have to at least hand it to these guys, when they're handed lemons, they try their damndest to make lemonade. "Gee, there's not enough evidence to actually convict the highest-ranking members of the White House and the office of the Vice President of treason, just perjury and conspiracy. Is that so wrong?"

The party that said they won the last election because of their stand on moral issues doesn't have a leg to stand on. Nothing shows how out of touch Republicans now are with the values of the American people.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 11:47 am
Hutchison Used To Think Differently
Hutchison Used To Think Differently
By Robert Schlesinger

Kay Bailey Hutchison didn't always feel this way. Once upon a time she rejected the notion that perjury had to be accompanied by other underlying charges to make it a serious crime.

As noted on the HuffPo's front page, Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison fretted on Meet the Press Sunday that potential perjury and obstruction of justice charges against I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby and Karl Rove might be just a "technicality."

Of course back in the day (read: President Clinton's impeachment trial), perjury and obstruction of justice were a pretty big deal. I believe the exact phrase used at the time was "high crimes and misdemeanors."

(A digression: Careful readers might recall that I predicted last week these results of what I call the Hypocritic Oath - that GOPers would start to downplay the importance of perjury and obstruction.)

Hutchison said Sunday:

I certainly hope that if there is going to be an indictment that says something happened, that it is an indictment on a crime and not some perjury technicality where they couldn't indict on the crime and so they go to something just to show that their two years of investigation was not a waste of time and taxpayer dollars. So they go to something that trips someone up because they said something in the first grand jury and then maybe they found new information or they forgot something and they tried to correct that in a second grand jury.

The estimable Tim Russert noted that perjury was once more important, saying: "Perjury or obstruction of justice is a very serious crime and Republicans certainly thought so when charges were placed against Bill Clinton before the United States Senate."

Hutchison responded:

Well, there were charges against Bill Clinton besides perjury and obstruction of justice. And I'm not saying that those are not crimes. They are.
But I also think that we are seeing in the judicial process--and look at Martha Stewart, for instance, where they couldn't find a crime and they indict on something that she said about something that wasn't a crime. I think that it is important, of course, that we have a perjury and an obstruction of justice crime, but I also think we are seeing grand juries and U.S. attorneys and district attorneys that go for technicalities, sort of a gotcha mentality in this country.

Well actually, there weren't other charges against Clinton. Or more precisely there weren't other charges that were approved by the House. It was as if they couldn't indict on a "real" crime and so they went to something just to show what their years of investigation was not a waste of time and taxpayer dollars. One might even call it a gotcha mentality.

Of course Hutchison sang a different tune back in February of 1999, when the senators went behind closed doors to discuss how they would vote in the impeachment trial.

At the time, according to the closed-door impeachment statement she entered into the Congressional Record:

This Senate on numerous occasions has convicted impeached Federal Judges on allegations of perjury. Moreover, the historical fact is that 'high crimes and misdemeanors,' as used and applied in English law on which portions of our Constitution were founded, included the crimes of 'obstructing the execution of the lawful process' and of 'willful and corrupt perjury.'

She went on to specifically reject the notion that perjury and obstruction required underlying charges in order to be legitimate:

The President's Counsel and a number of Senators advance a 'felony-plus' interpretation of the Constitutional terms 'high crimes and misdemeanors.' … To this Senator, this astounding application of the plain language of our Constitution strikes at the very heart of the rule of law in America. It replaces the stability guaranteed by the Constitution with the chaos of uncertainty. Not only does it obliterate the noble ideal that our highest public officer should set high moral standards for our Nation, it says that the officer is free to commit felonies while doing it if the economy is good, if the crime is just about sex, or if, except for the crime, 'things are going pretty well right now,' or simply that 'they can indict and try the President for the crime after leaving office in a couple of years.' I will not demean our Constitution or the office of the Presidency of the United States by endorsing the felony-plus standard.
Of course now that the crime in question is about national security, not sex, the standard is apparently completely different.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 12:44 pm
I've never been more proud of Ms. Hutchinson.

Truthfully.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 01:16 pm
Yes, I do.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 01:38 pm
roger wrote:
Yes, I do.

Did I miss the wedding announcement?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 02:38 pm
Yes, DrewDad. You left me waiting at the alter. You'll probably miss your own funeral, too.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 02:51 pm
I can only hope.

Perhaps I can sell tickets.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 03:00 pm
Heehee....ain't human nature grand....
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 03:05 pm
Interesting to see how this plays out this one will be. My personal bet is that some unheard of White House low level person will be pushed onto the platform and publicly flogged and then dismissed. No way we can get rid of Dough Boy Rove, he is the puppeteer...er, I mean the brains of the operation (which might explain some recent oddities). As for perjury, what's a little lying among friends and politicos?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 04:10 pm
Lying about screwing an intern.. - Now that's obstruction of justice

Lying about screwing the country - Hey, I don't see anything wrong with it.

It makes perfect GOP sense. The only thing that matters is what you (not they) do in private with consenting adults.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 05:30 pm
Sturgis
Sturgis wrote: As for perjury, what's a little lying among friends and politicos?

How about impeachment?

BBB
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:06 pm
If it would make y'all happy, I'm all for getting rid of anyone, anywhere, who commits a federal crime, which includes perjury. What the politicians decide to do is beyond my control. But deciding not to get rid of someone in this case does not mean that trying to get rid of someone else was wrong, just that it should have also been tried here.

Of course, maybe you could look at this a bit differently. Maybe our good republican lawmakers figure if it was ok for Mr. Clinton (after all, he was not booted out, thanks in large part to the dems) then why even try to get rid of someone else who has committed perjury. If the dems did not see a problem with Clinton's crime, it kinda makes any crime of perjury a non-issue. Wouldn't you say?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:14 pm
Doesn't this all depend on one's definition of "is"?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:52 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
If it would make y'all happy, I'm all for getting rid of anyone, anywhere, who commits a federal crime, which includes perjury. What the politicians decide to do is beyond my control. But deciding not to get rid of someone in this case does not mean that trying to get rid of someone else was wrong, just that it should have also been tried here.

Of course, maybe you could look at this a bit differently. Maybe our good republican lawmakers figure if it was ok for Mr. Clinton (after all, he was not booted out, thanks in large part to the dems) then why even try to get rid of someone else who has committed perjury. If the dems did not see a problem with Clinton's crime, it kinda makes any crime of perjury a non-issue. Wouldn't you say?

And when was Clinton indicted? I must have missed that part of the criminal process.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:58 pm
Parados
Quote:
And when was Clinton indicted? I must have missed that part of the criminal process.

Must have been when you were 100 feet underground in your diamond mind digging for gems.

BBB
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 05:41 am
Bush said that he would get rid of anyone who has committed a crime, he didn't specify what kind of crime.

Quote:
"I would like this to end as quickly as possible so we know the facts. And if someone committed a crime, they will no longer work in my administration," Bush said.

source
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 05:41 am
parados wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:

Never said he was indicted. Try reading a bit slower next time. I am agreeing with the premise that anyone committing perjury should be kicked out. I'm only giving the logical conclusion that any of our lawmakers can make from the Clinton fiasco, and that is that according to the democrats, perjury is not an impeachable offense, otherwise they would have voted to convict Clinton. I think it is an impeachable offense for anyone in the federal government, but it should apply for republicans and democrats alike.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 05:46 am
revel wrote:
Bush said that he would get rid of anyone who has committed a crime, he didn't specify what kind of crime.

Quote:
"I would like this to end as quickly as possible so we know the facts. And if someone committed a crime, they will no longer work in my administration," Bush said.

source

Yes; however, all of this would depend on what President Bush defines as being a crime.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 05:49 am
Well, to be sure, anyone indicted must be removed. For there is no way they could keep their access to secret and classified info once they have been...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies