92
   

Atheists... Your life is pointless

 
 
FBM
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 06:11 am
@spendius,
Funny you should mention that! I got married to a young, beautiful Catholic lady years ago. She was/is a veterinarian. Not hurting for money. Her family was really rich, but that's not why I married her. Then I divorced her two years later because putting up with...well, let's just say that the proximity to $$ wasn't worth the day-t0-day strife. Wink
spendius
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 06:22 am
@FBM,
I'm pretty sure that we all believe you didn't marry the lady because she was rich. I always take people's word for it in cases like that.

Why didn't you let her have all her own way? Surely you must have known that rich ladies expect nothing less?

Catholics don't divorce without the Pope's permission as I understand things.
izzythepush
 
  -1  
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 06:23 am
@FBM,
Here's a video for you.

0 Replies
 
FBM
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 06:33 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I'm pretty sure that we all believe you didn't marry the lady because she was rich. I always take people's word for it in cases like that.

Why didn't you let her have all her own way? Surely you must have known that rich ladies expect nothing less?

Catholics don't divorce without the Pope's permission as I understand things.


I guess I'm just too ornery to lie down and take orders. Smile

Actually, I have no idea how she handled that divorce thing. We didn't have very many in-depth exchanges at that point. Now sure how Catholic she was, really, in the first place. I don't think she went to Mass more than a half dozen times during those two years.

@ izzy: Laughing
0 Replies
 
jcboy
 
  4  
Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 08:40 am
@jcboy,
White evangelical Christians have confused their desire to use their religion as a bludgeon against everyone else in society as "persecution." Because they have been accorded power by the cynical right wing of the country (who doesn't really give a damn about their values but needs their votes), they translate that into a giant national whine about how Christians are persecuted, largely at the hands of gay people.

Yet when they're asked whether other religions such as Islam and Judaism should have the right to exist and practice their faiths, they answer "no" with a resounding majority, serving up a large portion of evangelical hypocrisy with their whine.
jcboy
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 01:51 pm
@jcboy,
I’m an equality opportunity religious basher. This disgusting less than human brainwashed idiots AND those who support the church. They forgive rapists and murderers and tell them they can go to heaven if they repent before they die but they condemn gay people to hell.

They'll forgive this douche bag too of course. So F-d up.

CALIFORNIA: Catholic Cardinal Roger Mahony Fired Over Molestation Cover-Ups

Quote:
Just hours after a court-ordered massive release of priest personnel files revealed the extent of Mahony's role in covering up for known sexual predators, Archbishop José Gómez announced Thursday night that he has relieved Mahony of his remaining duties. A former top aide to Mahony also stepped down from his current post. This is the first time since the massive abuse scandal exploded in 2002 hen there were direct repercussions for top church officials. In December 2002, Cardinal Bernard Law resigned his post as archbishop of Boston when protesters and priests called for him to step aside. "I find these files to be brutal and painful reading," Gómez said in a statement, referring to the newly released files made public by the church Thursday night just hours after a judge's order. "The behavior described in these files is terribly sad and evil. There is no excuse, no explaining away what happened to these children."
spendius
 
  -1  
Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 02:50 pm
@jcboy,
That's not religion bashing jc. Whatever gave you the idea that it is?

There are "unfrocked" bankers all over the place. Should we close banks?

This "they" you talk about doesn't believe in hell. Even if they did why would you bother if you don't believe in it?

You're taking advantage of a few creeps to attack a world-wide institution of long standing and great power without which you would not be living as you do.

There's a sex abuse scandal here involving close to 500 cases involving the BBC, a knight of the Realm, (now deceased) and the National Health Service. The US had a football coach. The Boy Scouts used to be notorious. Any occupation here which involves contact with children requires stringent background checks. That wasn't brought in because of priests. It was brought in because the problem exists everywhere. It is a recruitment problem.

We all know they should not have done those things or covered up for them. There's no need to get hysterical about it.

Why don't you make the case for homosexuality properly? Like T.S. Eliot. Women are beneath a man's dignity sort of thing. Or two male wages get more goodies. Reducing the birth rate. No nagging. No 5 yards of frocks in the wardrobe. No witchcraft with the pots and pans and the lingerie. Having a respectable washing line.

After all, sex is not all that time consuming.
0 Replies
 
spendius
 
  0  
Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 03:54 pm
@jcboy,
The atheists of ancient Greece and Rome, the Stoics and Epicurians, the upper classes generally, had catamites as a matter of course. In public. It was a possible route to fame and fortune for young lads of a delicate hue. Emperors had catamites.

It was the Church that condemed it. Had it not done you would have nothing to get excited about.

jcboy
 
  2  
Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 05:14 pm
@spendius,
Who said I was getting excited? So far only you. I pay no attention to the rambling of a religious imbecile. My final word to you.
spendius
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 06:05 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
This disgusting less than human brainwashed idiots AND those who support the church.


That's not just excited. It's ranting raving lunacy of a high order.

In the UK we have 36 TV channels devoted to encouraging people to phone in, at £2 or £3 a minute, or buy packages promising more revealing shots, using females clad, mostly, in lingerie and writhing about on beds, sofas and office furniture. A 37th channel is for male homosexuals and shows nothing at all except a message to sign in.

Don't blame the Church. Blame the public. These channels only respond to cash flow.
0 Replies
 
tenderfoot
 
  1  
Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 10:39 pm
@spendius,
Quote ....It was the Church that condemned it. Had it not done you would have nothing to get excited about.Unquote.
All that proves is that Catholic priests couldn't afford the going price for willing participants... So they arranged for the unwilling children to supply the sex starved pedophile priests.
0 Replies
 
Zardoz
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2013 10:37 am
@izzythepush,
Izzy many people are simply afraid to tell the truth and others simply want to avoid confrontations. When it comes to religious cults most people are intimidated by the sheer number of people who belong to them. The term of cult is commonly used to describe other religious organization than the one you belong to. Do you believe that belongs to the Unification Church believes that they belong to cult? By the way the members of the Unification Church are called Moonies. I am sure they believe that the Catholic Church is a cult. In the last presidential election 10% of the electorate refused to vote for Romney because they believed he was a cult member because he was a Mormon.
____________________________________________________
The definition of a cult is: a particular system of religious worship especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

Dictionary.com
The Catholic Church meets all the criteria of that definition as do all other religious organizations. Because some have used the definition of cult more narrowly than the actual definition does not in any way invalidate the actual definition.

Izzy when I said that in Ireland they believed that the unmolested children were in a minority. I was simply printing something from a source. Reliable statistics on molestation are very hard to come by as the vast majority of victims are young and do not report the crime.

Did you see the National News from Los Angles this week this week? A cardinal has been stripped of his power to do public ceremonies over his role in not handling the sexual molestation problem. The church released the secret personal files of a 122 priests “The behavior described in these files is terrible and evil,” said Archbishop Jose Gomez.

And these paragons of morality go on spreading and spreading the evils of child molestation. A study showed that 4,392 priests in America had molested children while in the general population most victims of molestation are female the priests molest boys 81% of the time they prefer boys between the age of 11 and 17. The priests are technically not pedophiles because they prefer older children and are considered hebephiles.
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2013 12:10 pm
@Zardoz,
Zardoz wrote:
Izzy when I said that in Ireland they believed that the unmolested children were in a minority. I was simply printing something from a source. Reliable statistics on molestation are very hard to come by as the vast majority of victims are young and do not report the crime.


You should post links to that source, there's lots of crazy stuff on the internet. Ask RL about David Icke, he posts loads of stuff, I wouldn't call any of it credible.

Zardoz wrote:
Did you see the National News from Los Angles this week this week?


Did I ****. What's National News in LA, ain't National over here.


Wizard of Oz wrote:
A cardinal has been stripped of his power to do public ceremonies over his role in not handling the sexual molestation problem. The church released the secret personal files of a 122 priests “The behavior described in these files is terrible and evil,” said Archbishop Jose Gomez.


Nobody's disputing terrible things went on in the Catholic Church, I just prefer to listen to reliable sources like News organisations, Wikipedia and the like, not websites of dubious provenance.

SeanConnery in a posing pouch wrote:
A study showed that 4,392 priests in America had molested children while in the general population


There you go again. What study? By whom? Everything you say is backed up by a 'source,' which we're supposed to take your word for. If this study really happened you need to say who carried out the study and post links. If you don't know how to post links, quote etc. ask someone, there's probably a thread about it somewhere.

This is important. If you don't acknowledge your sources and post links you won't be taken seriously. I take it you want to be taken seriously?

Btw, I consider the Monnies a cult, and I'm not particularly bothered what individual members think re cult status. I don't consider Anglicans, Catholics, Methodists, Presbyterians, Baptists, Unitarians, Mormons Jw's and Old Uncle Tom Cobley and all cults. I propose drawing a line under this because we're clearly not going to agree, and I'm not going to waste any more time arguing the definition of a word with you.
cutsdocsheadoff
 
  0  
Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2013 12:55 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Zardoz wrote:

Izzy when I said that in Ireland they believed that the unmolested children were in a minority. I was simply printing something from a source. Reliable statistics on molestation are very hard to come by as the vast majority of victims are young and do not report the crime.


If that is remotely true, my humble opinion is that technology is being negated by the abusers, the spoon fed many are surely helping to have their kids abused.

Then my not so humble opinion is.. Accept tags, let more cameras in or meet the new invisible lobotomy, techno wipe!.

Angels scream "stop now"
Demons reply "we have stopped them, your area is unclean".



Quote:
SeanConnery in a posing pouch wrote:

A study showed that 4,392 priests in America had molested children while in the general population


Those who hunger, forget their manners more probably. Its a game of checkers where chess is everything else, how dull.
0 Replies
 
Zardoz
 
  1  
Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 11:14 am
@izzythepush,
Izzy I found my source for the remark on unmolested children being in the minority in Irish religious schools. It comes from the book “God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything” by Christopher Hitchens, page 51.

“The Vatican and its vast network of dioceses, has in the past decade alone forced to admit complicity in a huge racket of child rape and child torture, mainly but by no means exclusively homosexual, in which known pederasts and sadists were shielded from the law and reassigned to parishes where the pickings of the innocent and defenseless were often richer. In Ireland alone—once an unquestioning disciple of Holy Mother Church---it is now estimated that the unmolested children of religious schools were very probably the minority.”
_________________________________________________________
Izzy I don’t know whether you ever had one of the big satellite dishes when it was free but you could watch the national news being put together from each region of the country. You of course can access NBC news on the web and they covered the story. My web site for the information on molesters was The Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights. The internet is full of sources about the molestations in Los Angles diocese including Wikipedia.

The source for the 4,392 priests who molested children was the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights. Posting links is a little beyond my present skill level. I can however give you the search criteria I used to locate it on goggle “Child molestation by clergy greater or lesser than general population.”

In an argument about the meaning of words the dictionary has the last word. The world cannot improve until all can admit that all religions are cults. Religious superstition will drag the whole world into a premature grave. The World Trade Center crumbled into a pile of dust because of a religious cult but we cannot point to ignorance of others and cling to ours. The playing field must be level.
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 11:48 am
@Zardoz,
Here; (all you do is copy and paste from the URL) http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2010/04/07/mean-men.html
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 12:09 pm
@Zardoz,
You seem to be under the impression I live in America, I don't. I'm not an American, I'm English.

As for Christopher Hitchens, I wouldn't trust anything a skate says.
reasoning logic
 
  0  
Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 04:51 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
As for Christopher Hitchens, I wouldn't trust anything a skate says.


I am just curious. do you find Christoper Hitchens on the same playing field as David Icke?
izzythepush
 
  0  
Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:30 am
@reasoning logic,
No, he's not barking mad like Icke, but he's a preachy son of a bitch with an agenda. He supported the illegal war in Iraq, and is not on speaking terms with his brother Jonathan, who's another opinionated arsehole.

I know Christopher Hitchens is dead, but I can't be arsed to change everything to past tense. Whether or not atheism is a religion is a moot point, but Hitchens was definitely evangelical, he's hardly an impartial source.

And let's not forget, he was a ******* skate.
0 Replies
 
mrfright
 
  1  
Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:30 am
@John Creasy,
There are consequences for what I do, to people I care about. I just don't think there is anything like an eternal award or punishment, that doesn't mean I don't care about what happens now.

I don't just do whatever and not care about others because I have empathy. Emotions are a result of evolution, but they do have meaning to me. I don't do things so they'll be remembered forever.

Do you really want to murder and steal but don't because of an eternal reward, or because you think they'll be rememered forever? Or do you have a sense of empathy and care about people?
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Atheism - Discussion by littlek
American Atheists Barred from holding Office - Discussion by edgarblythe
Richard Dawkins doesn't exist! - Question by Jay2know
The New State Religion: Atheism - Question by Expert2
Is Atheism the New Age Religion? - Question by Expert2
Critical thinking on the existence of God - Discussion by Susmariosep
Are evolution and the big bang true? - Discussion by Johnjohnjohn
To the people .. - Question by Johnjohnjohn
 
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 07/03/2020 at 08:19:02