Atheists... Your life is pointless

spendius

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 02:12 pm
@aidan,
It's also illogical for an atheist to say " 'What majestic trees! What beautiful animals!"

spendius

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 02:42 pm
@aidan,
Rebecca--there's an Arena film of Dylan at Newport in the early 60s on the BBC i-player.

When you've seen it go to U-tube and get up Ain't Talking and see what age and experience can do to a man.
aidan

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:01 pm
@spendius,
Thanks for telling me about it -I'll try to get my son to figure it out and record it for me.
My nephew picked my name for Christmas and he got me The Bootleg Series volume 4 Bob Dylan live 1966
Quote:
'In 1965 Bob Dylan plugged in his electric guitar and unleashed a new sound that split his audience down the middle. During the world tour that followed, the new music created controversey where he traveled. Some cheered, some booed, some simply walked out. Dylan blazed a trail of confrontational performances that changed rock and roll forever. The tour concluded in Europe with a series of legendary performances captured on film and tape. The Bootleg Series Vol 4 represents the first official release of the most famous bootleg in history, the legendary 'Royal Albert Hall concert, actually recoreded in Manchester England on May 17, 1966

It's incredible - great songs- one disc is acoustic and the other is electric and it comes with a book. You should get it.

0 Replies

Advocate

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:39 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

It's also illogical for an atheist to say " 'What majestic trees! What beautiful animals!"

That is nonsense. Mother Nature produces majestic and beautiful things without the intervention of some god.
spendius

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:04 pm
@Advocate,
It's not my style to blurt assertions but that's bullshit from a scientific point of view. It's being deeply religious and denying it at the same time. Which is bullshit.

How can there be some beautiful things except from a romantic point of view.
oolongteasup

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:36 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
How can you blame a god you don't believe in for the inefficient and unfair distribution of food and resources which result in the starvation of children? Seems a little illogical.

Advocate didn't blame gods so it is your premise that is illogical.

Given that we can look the other way, I can see why gods could too.

However none of this persiflage cum fulminating folderol about the existence or otherwise of supernatural beings amounts to an angel on the head of a pin.
Eorl

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:37 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

It's not my style to blurt assertions but that's bullshit from a scientific point of view. It's being deeply religious and denying it at the same time. Which is bullshit.

How can there be some beautiful things except from a romantic point of view.

The religious own romance? That's new. Oh, wait, they also own love right? I remember now.
0 Replies

aidan

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:45 pm
@oolongteasup,
oolongteasup said:
Quote:

The way I read this is that Advocate would advocate our powerful and all knowing god putting a stop to this because s/he (sorry advocate - I don't know your gender) wrote
Quote:
Why doesn't your all-poweful and all-knowing god put a stop to this?

So logically, I ask:
How could s/he when/if s/he doesn't exist?

And if you know s/he doesn't exist - but believe you are capable of free will, how do you explain the fact that you're worried about children starving - KNOW there is no god who will intervene - but don't do anything about it except ask why a god you don't believe in doesn't intervene...

Oolongteasup -I think these are the first three clearly decipherable and complete sentence I've ever read of yours.
Quote:

Given that we can look the other way, I can see why gods could too.

However none of this persiflage cum fulminating folderol about the existence or otherwise of supernatural beings amounts to an angel on the head of a pin.

I'm honored they were in response to one of my posts.

oolongteasup

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:51 pm
@aidan,
who or what made me do it
aidan

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:53 pm
@oolongteasup,
you tell me.
oolongteasup

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:09 pm
@aidan,
i just did
0 Replies

BillRM

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:25 pm
Had anyone taken note if the evil god of the bible did exist it would be far worst of a situation when having a universe with not god?

Who would wish to live in a universe control by such an evil small minded god?
Advocate

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:45 pm
@aidan,
I can see that you are a proud literalist, as many religious people are. It is pretty fruitless to discuss religion with such a person.
JLNobody

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 08:00 pm
@JLNobody,
Spendius, remember, I did apologize in advance for exaggerating. But in broad outline I insist that my generalizations regarding Christianity's model of the world--in comparison, at least, to that of the secular humanists model--has validity.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 08:00 pm
@JLNobody,
Spendius, remember, I did apologize in advance for exaggerating. But in broad outline I insist that my generalizations regarding Christianity's model of the world--in comparison, at least, to that of the secular humanists model--has validity.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 08:58 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Had anyone taken note if the evil god of the bible did exist it would be far worst of a situation when having a universe with not god?

Who would wish to live in a universe control by such an evil small minded god?

Could you repeat that in English please?
Intrepid

Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:00 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

spendius wrote:

That is nonsense. Mother Nature produces majestic and beautiful things without the intervention of some god.

Is Mother Nature like the Tooth Fairy that Bill carries on about?
aidan

Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:50 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

The outcome seems to be the same for those starving children.

0 Replies

aidan

Fri 5 Mar, 2010 02:01 am
@Advocate,
Quote:
I can see that you are a proud literalist, as many religious people are. It is pretty fruitless to discuss religion with such a person.

You see whatever you want to see - which you did at least in this case.

I didn't mention my religious beliefs with any sort of descriptive emotion or philosophy - much less literalism or pride.

The only statement I made about anything was how free will and personal responsibility seem to play out in a world inhabited by humans- resulting in a lot of your aforementioned starving children and how we could avoid that if we wanted to.

From that you get a religious and proud literalist- whatever.

So on my side, I see an evasive assigner of labels. I think it'd be pretty fruitless to discuss religion with such a person as that. If I were discussing religion. I thought atheism is the lack of religion. And free will is free will. And starving children are starving children. That's what I thought I was discussing - but I guess you know better.

spendius

Fri 5 Mar, 2010 05:13 am
@aidan,
Quote:
Through many dark hour
I’ve been thinkin’ about this
That Jesus Christ
Was betrayed by a kiss
But I can’t think for you
You’ll have to decide
Whether Judas Iscariot
Had God on his side