Looking for rule model of Spoken British English

barrythemod

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 05:15 pm
timberlandko wrote:
barrythemod wrote:

What a croc...............

Care to detail just to what you take exception?

Do you speak the same as the guys in your House of Representatives or The Senate ?
The members House of Lords use a "legal" based language.
In both cases,it is not reprasentative of "normal" talk.

I humbally beg your request to leave :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 06:11 pm
barrythemod wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
barrythemod wrote:

Do you speak the same as the guys in your House of Representatives or The Senate ?

Now, that respone strikes me as at once non sequitur and irrelevant. "Normal talk" was nowhere indicated as the subject of the topic author's query. Inferring the target was "Proper" British English, I directed the questioner to a resource which would offer a sampling of the diction, pronunciation, usage, and grammar of essentially formally educated native British English speakers.

The point of the topic author's question was addressed by my comment, which comment the topic's author specifically endorsed as most closely approximating the aim he wished to meet:
[quote="mfhboy"" ... ]to timberlandko
The site you recommended is great! I have tried out all 4 groups of meetings and the House of Lords one is really the group with the closest accents I'm looking for ... [/quote]

That's good enough for me, and evidently for the topic's author. Your input and criticism are welcome, of course, however that my response to the original query might have failed to meet your standards is wholly beside the point.

Oh, BTW - Whether "humbally" or humbly, or even arrogantly, no one here ever need ask anyone's leave to leave; all here are free to do pretty much as each may see fit according to individual personal preference. Suit yourself.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 06:34 pm
timberlandko wrote:
barrythemod wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
barrythemod wrote:

Now, that respone strikes me as at once non sequitur and irrelevant. "Normal talk" was nowhere indicated as the subject of the topic author's query. Inferring the target was "Proper" British English, I directed the questioner to a resource which would offer a sampling of the diction, pronunciation, usage, and grammar of essentially formally educated native British English speakers.

The point of the topic author's question was addressed by my comment, which comment the topic's author specifically endorsed as most closely approximating the aim he wished to meet:
[quote="mfhboy"" ... ]to timberlandko
The site you recommended is great! I have tried out all 4 groups of meetings and the House of Lords one is really the group with the closest accents I'm looking for ...

That's good enough for me, and evidently for the topic's author. Your input and criticism are welcome, of course, however that my response to the original query might have failed to meet your standards is wholly beside the point.

Oh, BTW - Whether "humbally" or humbly, or even arrogantly, no one here ever need ask anyone's leave to leave; all here are free to do pretty much as each may see fit according to individual personal preference. Suit yourself.[/quote]
............................................................................................................................................................................
Cool Cool No probs Smile
If he wants to end up saying "Pip pip,cheerio old bean" then that's fine by me.I was just pointing him in the direction of "hearing" English in every-day speak.
The choice is,as always,his. Smile
P.S. too polite to pick you up on youre spelling :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 07:12 pm
Oh, my spelling is fine - my typing, however, and my editing and proofreading diligence (or lack thereof), are atrocious - to the point of some local renown Laughing
0 Replies

mfhboy

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:45 pm
barrythemod wrote:

Cool Cool No probs Smile
If he wants to end up saying "Pip pip,cheerio old bean" then that's fine by me.I was just pointing him in the direction of "hearing" English in every-day speak.
The choice is,as always,his. Smile
P.S. too polite to pick you up on youre spelling :wink:

Hi Barry, I enjoy listening to BBC and I will keep doing so. It's a great source of information and music. I don't approach media just for learning the Language.

Being able to sound like a local British is amazing. But obviously I'm not a native English speaker. If I must speak in English in my homeland, most likely I'm participating certain formal situation and street talk is not appropriate.

So to me, I have better understanding and command to spoken/written English used in news reports/newspapers rather than movies/forums. I do want to be able to understand and exchange with native speakers in their local Language but I have to take it step by step. May be you don't have to or care to speak like the way I'm trying to learn. But I have needs to improve my spoken English for formal situations and this will be the starting point. I found you have a street talk thread and I will check it out regularly. Razz

edit: hey wait a minute~~ my original request was ACCENTS, now it became the content. No matter what contents I speak, I don't want to sound like David Beckham. I'm by no means to look down Beckham and people who have similar accent okay. Just my personal perference.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 01:16 am
Hi Barry, I enjoy listening to BBC and I will keep doing so. It's a great source of information and music. I don't approach media just for learning the Language.

Being able to sound like a local British is amazing. But obviously I'm not a native English speaker. If I must speak in English in my homeland, most likely I'm participating certain formal situation and street talk is not appropriate.

So to me, I have better understanding and command to spoken/written English used in news reports/newspapers rather than movies/forums. I do want to be able to understand and exchange with native speakers in their local Language but I have to take it step by step. May be you don't have to or care to speak like the way I'm trying to learn. But I have needs to improve my spoken English for formal situations and this will be the starting point. I found you have a street talk thread and I will check it out regularly. Razz

edit: hey wait a minute~~ my original request was ACCENTS, now it became the content. No matter what contents I speak, I don't want to sound like David Beckham. I'm by no means to look down Beckham and people who have similar accent okay. Just my personal perference.[/quote]
............................................................................................................
Nice one,glad to hear that you enjoy listening to the BBC.It's the easiest and cheapest way of hearing the English language as it should be/and is,spoken.Enjoy :wink:
Good luck
Barry
0 Replies