Looking for rule model of Spoken British English

mfhboy

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 07:11 am
I want to improve my spoken English and I prefer British English but I found even reporters from BBC have big difference in their accents. I'm looking for a rule model of spoken British English which is considered as standard MODERN British English. I prefer sources like documentary series in DVD except those about Science. Any input would be helpful, thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,048 • Replies: 25
No top replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 09:44 am
Your English,as posted,is good.How long did it take to type?.
BTW,it's roll,not rule
Smile
0 Replies

mfhboy

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 09:57 am
Thank you for your comment and correction. I didn't count but that took 2 to 3 mins I think.

Barry you're from London! Any proper studying material for me? hehe
0 Replies

mfhboy

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:52 am
I checked up dictionary after I had replied. Hum.... that's not funny at all.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:00 am
Re: Looking for rule model of Spoken British English
mfhboy wrote:
I want to improve my spoken English, thanks.

Don'y know where you're from but tune into/listen to/record BBC Radio broadcasts to get the basics."Street" english is another lesson.
Learn the basics first from the BBC."English as it should be spoken"
It's a long hard road,but enjoy :wink:
0 Replies

mfhboy

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:36 am
mfhboy wrote:
I checked up dictionary after I had replied. Hum.... that's not funny at all.

I meant the ROLL model one. Was that a joke?
0 Replies

mfhboy

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:45 am
It's time to go to bed(GMT+8). You two have a good day.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 12:04 pm
Righty O!

um,

Pip pip, uh,..... cheerio! and all that rot.

(psst barry, how'm I doin'? Bet I sounded like a "right bloke" huh)?

BTW, Now that mboy is off to bed, I have a question.....

Off the top of your head, what American expressions, slang, what have you, is so typically "american" that it would never be used in England.

Sometimes when watching a british sitcom, I think to myself, "do they REALLY say that"?

Also, there are British actors who do terrific american accents. There have been times I didn't even realize they were British until I'd see them in an interview.
On the flip side, I've heard some pretty bad impersonations of an american accent.
When you hear an american trying to do a British accent, what are some of the things we do that make you want to scream...."that's terrible, shut up"!

Oh, some of my relative that live in "new Joisey" have tried to speak with a texas accent, like they think they are fooling someone....pathetic. They think they're being really clever.
moving around accents just come to be over time.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 12:22 pm
Just started a plate of Fish and Chips ( REALLY )
Get back in 15 mins Cool
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 12:37 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

BTW, Now that mboy is off to bed, I have a question.....

Off the top of your head, what American expressions, slang, what have you, is so typically "american" that it would never be used in England.

"We believe everything George Bush tells us" :wink:
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 12:41 pm
mfhboy wrote:
It's time to go to bed(GMT+8). You two have a good day.

Good-night,sleep tight.Catch you later Smile
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 12:57 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Also, there are British actors who do terrific american accents. There have been times I didn't even realize they were British until I'd see them in an interview.
On the flip side, I've heard some pretty bad impersonations of an american accent..

Yeah,the best "yank" accent I`ve heard for ages comes fron the mouth of Christian Bale ( Batman Begins ),compare it to his true accent in Empire Of The Sun.Granted he was a few years younger and,as yet,not corrupted by you guys.A true British accent of the time.
As for the worst American accent,well that's gotta Michael Cane ( The Cider House Rules ).
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 04:11 pm
barry, "you're" means you+are Razz
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 05:15 pm
mfhboy wrote:
I want to improve my spoken English and I prefer British English but I found even reporters from BBC have big difference in their accents. I'm looking for a rule model of spoken British English which is considered as standard MODERN British English. I prefer sources like documentary series in DVD except those about Science. Any input would be helpful, thanks.

I think you might find that the BBC is no longer the artbiter of modern standard English. In fact I don't know if one exists anywhere. Regional accents, which used to be banned, are now acceptable and really that can't be a bad thing. I think that perhaps standard English is dying out. The most common accepted accent these days tends to be what has been called Estuarine English, a relatively recent phenomenon. Anyway this link may be of interest as it contains some resources you might want to follow up resource
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 05:50 pm
Perhaps the closest you will get would be to monitor the proceedings of The British Parliament's House of Lords. Live streaming of Parliament debates and discussions is available HERE. I suggest The House of Lords in particular, as while there are exceptions, its members trend more toward the "Upper Crust", with typically more traditional formal education than do the members of The House of Commons.

If you can get past her incredibly irritating voice, the diction, phrasing, and useage employed by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth is pretty close to what you're looking for, too.
0 Replies

mfhboy

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:07 pm
to goodfielder
Thanks for introducing the term Estuary English to me. I found a quite helpful SITE from Google.

to timberlandko
The site you recommended is great! I have tried out all 4 groups of meetings and the House of Lords one is really the group with the closest accents I'm looking for. I will practise with it but there is no script for the debate and I might have problem following some advanced topics. That's why I perfer documentary series because DVD for my region usually including English subtitles.

to ALL
Actaully I'm not seeking the ultimate English accent. I just want to improve my spoken English towards the style I like. It's diffcult for members here to give me specific suggestion because I can't provide any sample of the accent I like.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 04:45 pm
Hi,me again.Tune your radio to BBC World Service.After listening for a week to English as it is usually spoken in England,no slang,jive,etc,you should get some idea how to speak it Cool
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 04:48 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Perhaps the closest you will get would be to monitor the proceedings of The British Parliament's House of Lords. Live streaming of Parliament debates and discussions is available HERE. I suggest The House of Lords in particular, as while there are exceptions, its members trend more toward the "Upper Crust", with typically more traditional formal education than do the members of The House of Commons.

If you can get past her incredibly irritating voice, the diction, phrasing, and useage employed by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth is pretty close to what you're looking for, too.

What a croc...............
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 04:56 pm
barrythemod wrote:

What a croc...............

Care to detail just to what you take exception?
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 05:01 pm
I think you might find that the BBC is no longer the artbiter of modern standard English. In fact I don't know if one exists anywhere. Regional accents, which used to be banned, are now acceptable and really that can't be a bad thing. I think that perhaps standard English is dying out. The most common accepted accent these days tends to be what has been called Estuarine English, a relatively recent phenomenon. Anyway this link may be of interest as it contains some resources you might want to follow up resource[/quote]
...............................................................................................................................................
The BBC is a good starting place to hear how English is spoken today,as was your first request.It has many regional stations with reporters from all over the country.
How can Estuarine,a relatively recent phenomenon be the most common accent.This is the first time I have heard of this "accent"
0 Replies