Seven Years in New York City

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:11 am
u were at the Larry Johnson buzzer-beater game?? cool!
never saw MSG erupt quite like that...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:03 pm
Ha! Region, I didn't say I was actually at the game...I was at a bar on 33rd street, right next door to MSG...hehehe, sorry about the confusion there. But when that game ended, the streets just filled up with dancing, screaming, singing people...car horns blaring...and at the entrance outside MSG--and thanks for reminding me, because this is one of the funniest things I've ever seen--there were these two huge fat guys with no shirts on just running and slamming into each other and their big fat bellies and chanting "REGGIE SUCKS! REGGIE SUCKS!"...it was hilarious, I tell ya! I loved it.

Panzade and Soz, thanks for the compliments on the writing. By the way, Panzade, might that bar have been the Rodeo Bar? That's the name of one of the only real bars in Manhattan that has live country-ish kind of music.

Shewolf, that really is a BEAUTIFUL idea! I love it! I don't have too many different kinds of shoes, but I think maybe I'll do that anyway.

ehbeth, I will keep squeezing, of course! I'm iffy about whether I will be at the get-together on saturday, but I am definitely planning on being there at the Frying Pan this Thursday. I'll see you there.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:36 pm
i dont think you need alot of shoes.
If I were doing it, what I would do is -
my regular day to day shoes would be used in the pictures that are about travel- grand central station for example, at the NYC airport if you have traveled, the terminal in wich you came home from Italy.. places like that.
Outside I would be barefoot, toes in the grass at central park, mater to your ankles in the duck pond. layon your back and put your bare feet in the air to get a city line shot with the empire state building between your toes.. That kinda stuff.
And dont TELL ME you worry about what people would think of some goffy man on his back barefoot taking pictures.. NY is home to people like the naked coyboy.. get over it. Laughing
Get some 'dressy -er' shoes for things that are more important to you.. like a restuarant that holds a great memory . If there is a certain block that you frequest for bus stops, take a bin of water with you and with your bare feet make footprints on the concrete and take a picture angling away from your toes to encorporate the prints..

Spend your last days in your past on your feet and photograph it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:48 pm
the foot/shoe thing is a great idea

i've got a small album of shots of myfeet/shoes in all kinds of places - like a small mountain none of my other friends wanted to climb - i went up - and then lay down so that my boots framed the elevation sign - and snapped a shot. i wanted PROOF!

my blog has a page of shots of feet from the company summer boat cruise.

<hmmmmm, maybe not feet - just remembered that kicky doesn't like toes>

~~~~~~~~

hey - kicky - any good adult beverage places around East 75 - 85 - walking distance from Central Park?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 02:16 pm
I'll let you know if I do the feet thing. It could be very cool.

If you consider walking distance to be less than ten minutes, then yeah, you should be able to just walk up 2nd avenue and take your pick. There are probably at least fifteen good places in that ten-block area. Anything specific in mind? Are you thinking of an afternoon cocktail during a museum day? Something like that? Or maybe an Irish Pub where you can just stop in and hang out?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 02:19 pm
<note to self, photo kixster's shoes on Thursday>

I'm thinking Friday evening, after the Guggenheim - something that's walking distance for Noddy.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 02:28 pm
Have you ever been to Scores?

Spill beer on some Yankee fans. Since they're not real people, they won't feel a thing.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 02:50 pm
ehBeth,

That might be a tough one. The Guggenheim is at 89th and Fifth avenue...I really don't know that there is much in the way of bars very closeby...the only place I know that is actually on Fifth Avenue is the Stanhope, which I haven't been to since it used to be Cafe Metropolitan. It is right across from the Metropolitan Museum at 81st and Fifth (eight short blocks, and it really is a nice walk through the heart of the museum mile), but it's a very expensive hotel bar...I also know a place on 90th and 3rd, called the Big City Bar and Grill which is a decent, less expensive typical upper east side kind of place, and that's just four blocks away from the Guggenheim (four long blocks though--it's actually probably just as long a walk as the Stanhope. If she can handle about a half-mile walk, then you're fine, because there are some places on Third Avenue, but if not, I think you'll have to cab it over to 2nd Avenue.

But I will think about it and get back to you if I come up with anymore ideas.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 02:53 pm
Slappy, nope, I haven't been to Score's, and I doubt I will. That stripper **** is just waaaaaaay too expensive with no payoff.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 02:57 pm
Cool. Thank you, Mr. Can.

Enjoy these last few days in New York.

<get a pedicure before you take those foot pix>
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 03:04 pm
Remember Kicky, no one locks any doors when you leave. You can always return. I went back often when I first left because all my social connections were there. I had no urge to live in "The City" again, but I always liked the idea that I could return if I wanted to.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:52 pm
You are so right, Green Witch. I still do have a couple friends here, and I will definitely want to come back for a visit.

Tonight is a really beautiful crisp autumn night, by the way. I think I'm going out to take a walk.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:51 pm
I know you're coming back to New York as I came back to Venice (LA), kicky. But.. I'm glad you pay attention to the change since the change startles.

I'm for photos but not tricking them up, sorry folks. Good if you'll be back soon and it is all with a routine deal, but if it is a major life change, geez, don't put your foot in every photo. Some, sure. But not a perscribed foot tour. That's a photo essay assignment.

When I left Venice, I took photos of the house I was leaving in an hour or four hours, and had tears down my face most of the time I photo'd. They turned out well, and I'll post them if I ever scan them... fixed up rooms (by us) in lambent colors in afternoon sunlight, empty and no longer ours or mine.

If you photo with love for a kind of last time, don't jerk it up.

Not that you shouldn't jerk it up, just don't make that a thirty year foot memory, with no other snaps.

On the other side of that plea, I think you'll be back in NY, but you'll be a visitor, like I am a visitor to LA.
Last time I was there I rented a car close to my bro in law's and also close to my old house. I could segment minutes from when I didn't recognize something and I was home again, over and over, with a few years' changes, creepy and good at the same time. They call it continuity.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:04 pm
Aw, kicky, this is sad! Why are you leaving mid-month?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:07 pm
Kicky--

Looking forward to seeing you this week. I'll bring my Tarot deck and we'll read the real cards.

Meanwhile--and possibly forever after--you'll be haunted by your numbers.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:44 pm
OK, backing off, you're surely ok to do a foot tour.

You may like that in 2030 more than just snaps of favorite places, and I'm not being obsequious.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:12 am
Yep, littlek, it is pretty sad, but not totally. I think I need to leave this life for a while, to regroup. My mind is alternating between bouts of deep sadness, waves of hopefulness, and premonitions of good things in my future. I feel good about it, overall, even though I'll miss the NYC lifestyle.

I'm leaving a little bit early because I'm going for a vacation off the west coast of Florida on the 27th, so I decided to just leave one weekend early, get settled in Rochester, and then go for my trip.

Noddy, I also look forward to the pleasure of seeing you again. I am very anxious to see what those tarot cards are going to say this time, although I already know that my future's so bright I have to wear shades. :cool:

Osso, thanks for your input too. I know I'll be back here someday as a visitor. That is a definite. How could I not come back here?

Although I love the feet idea, I might end up just going with pictures I already have, only because I seem to have a lot of things piled up that I have to get done this week, and not a whole lot of time to do them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:16 am
<ya shoulda rented your apartment to me for the weekend, a la craigslist - the women we're renting from is getting a nice handful of big U.S. $$>
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:18 am
Damn, that's a good idea. I wish I'd've thought of it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 11:55 pm
I went to Central Park today and took pictures, and ended up watching the sunset over the reservoir (The JACKIE ONASSIS reservoir--I never knew it was named after her, I just called it the Reservoir) where Dustin Hoffman jogged in that movie Marathon Man. It was such a perfect day, and a nice early fall sunset. Went to the Bitter End later. Saw some excellent jazz fusion-ish type band, along with some generic-sounding acoustic girl who I really didn't like, and these three acoustic-singer-songwriter guys who were VERY good. They did a song called "Louisiana" which was a stinging, insulting, vicious attack on Bush and Cheney and the response to Katrina. Funny and sad at the same time.

I took some good pictures too. I got sad though, thinking about the inevitable. Leaving all this is going to be soooo hard.

Five more days to get through...
0 Replies