Seven Years in New York City

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:46 am
Well, it's almost that time. In one week, I'll be leaving New York City. It's been quite a ride, but next sunday, I'll be packing up and moving on. I'll never forget this place though. Man, do I love this city.

These past seven years have been filled with good and bad, but I will choose to remember the good. I've eaten the best food, seen the best jazz, walked the best streets, lived through some of my life's most interesting moments.

I have been tricked into paying forty dollars for a baggie of dirt in Washington Square Park. I have seen Derek Jeter hit a single to beat the Red Sox in the bottom of the ninth inning from a seat right behind the Yankee dugout, eight rows behind Donald Trump. I have seen Al Pacino walking down Fifth Avenue. I have played and sung my songs at open mic nights in downtown bars. I have seen a very large woman do an hour-long off-broadway show, completely naked (her, not me). I have seen terror attacks and buildings fall. I have been a part of mass celebrations in the street after watching the Knicks beat the Pacers to go the NBA finals. I have sat on my window ledge with my girlfriend watching the traffic below us on Third Avenue on a misty spring morning. I have seen The Brandenburg Concertos at Alice Tully Hall and Bill Joel at Madison Square Garden in the same night.

And then there's the city itself...the millions of people walking outside my window everyday at all hours, Grand Central Station (with and without armed military personnel), the lights, the buildings of mid-town and downtown, the high rises on the upper east side, the brownstones on the upper west, museum mile, Central Park in the summertime, the street musicians in Washington Square Park, the cool dive bars of the lower east side and the East Village, Arthur's Tavern, The Village Vanguard, The Bitter End, Bleecker Street, Park Avenue, Broadway, Wall Street, The Canyon of Heroes...

Only one week left. What should I do with it?

I will probably go see some live jazz somewhere at least once or twice...a trip to a comedy club, probably the Comedy Cellar on MacDougal, is a must...one last visit to Central park, and Washington Square Park...maybe I'll even stop in and admit to that cute, dark-haired waitress at the Bitter End that for the past seven years everytime I've gone in there and seen her I've wanted to ask her out, but never had the guts...I'm definitely going out drinking for happy hour next friday...and I might even try to see Letterman again, or Conan O'Brien, even though I already saw Letterman last week...if you have any other suggestions, feel free to suggest away.

Seven years in New York City.

I'm a lucky man.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,939 • Replies: 68
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:52 am
I have never been to New York City. But, I think I like it. Thanks for the tour. Oh, and best of continued luck.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:59 am
OH MY GOD STAY THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reading that almost bought a tear to my eye.
I went to NY about 11 years ago and loved it,what a place.

Give it a big hug from me.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:04 am
where are you going kicky?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:12 am
I'm going back to where I grew up. Rochester, NY. After the new year, I may be moving again, but I'm not sure where. Possibly somewhere warm. California seems to be floating around in my head lately. We'll see.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:14 am
My sister lives in Sara Toga Springs, I myself never been to NY and I love not to far away in MA.... I should go and check it out.... the way u talk about it makes it seem awesome
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:14 am
Thanks, Intrepid.

And Material Girl, I can't stay. Maybe someday I'll come back. And by the way, I will be hugging the **** out of it all week. I'll give it one good squeeze for you too.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:15 am
Crazielady420 wrote:
My sister lives in Sara Toga Springs, I myself never been to NY and I love not to far away in MA.... I should go and check it out.... the way u talk about it makes it seem awesome

Does that mean that you don't hate men anymore? :wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:16 am
Crazielady, I cannot put into words how strongly I recommend this place, now how much I love it. There is nowhere like it. Go, hop on a bus, or a train, or whatever...just get here.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:20 am
Intrepid wrote:
Crazielady420 wrote:

Does that mean that you don't hate men anymore? :wink:

hahaha oops typo Embarrassed

Sure but only you intrepid
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:20 am
kickycan wrote:
Crazielady, I cannot put into words how strongly I recommend this place, now how much I love it. There is nowhere like it. Go, hop on a bus, or a train, or whatever...just get here.

I could drive... but I don't have the time... but I have always wanted to go.. it really does sound amazing... how far will you be from the city??
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:05 am
It's about a six-hour drive from Rochester to NYC.

Just an idea...do you live near Boston, by any chance? If you do, they have buses that go back and forth from Boston to Chinatown (lower manhattan) for like thirty bucks, round trip. I forget how long the ride is...maybe six hours? I can't remember now, but whatever, thirty bucks round trip is probably cheaper than driving.

Of course, then you'd have to find a place to stay and all, which would cost a small fortune, and going out is another small fortune, and if you don't have the time I guess you can't do it...but still, you should visit someday. It's the best place ever!!!
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:09 am
Yea I live 10 minutes away from Boston.... I think I will make a road trip out of it.. take a long weekend.. go with the girls.... that is what I will do with my remaining vacation days.. cool... thanks kicky :-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:09 am
Did bring an honest-to-god tear to my eye.

Beautifully written. I've moved away from places I loved dearly, ain't fun.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:24 am
Nice prose Kicky. In my yute I used to play a country bar, a pretty well known place though the name escapes me. I always looked forward to getting paid to spend a week in NY city.

And as a 9 year old immigrant I'll never forget my first sight of dirty snow on the city streets. I share your love for the place
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:28 am
Kicky,
grab a camera, and stand in all the places you have described and take a photo of your feet
Go to central park, remove your shoes, and take a picture of your feet in the exact spot you have been in before
Stand barefoot on the sidewalk where you waited for a bus
Stand in front of the entry way for grand central station you have always used, and take a picture of your feet.
Spend all day just revisiting these places, bring many shoes and write memories.
On your last day, photograph your bare feet at the doorway of the apt you have lived in .
Scrap book it and save it for your family/kids/ new friends.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:35 am
classy idea
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:46 am
Very nice idea!!!

I did something similar for Madison, a "virtual tour" sort of thing, just took a camera along on an archetypical (long) walk and shot something like 3 rolls. I look at it and am transported back immediately.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:31 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Kicky,
grab a camera, and stand in all the places you have described and take a photo of your feet
Go to central park, remove your shoes, and take a picture of your feet in the exact spot you have been in before

i never imagined that kicky wore shoes in the first place
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:36 am
djjd, the lad is urban. He's got shoes.

Squeeze the town, kicky.
Just leave a lil for us tourist types.

<I still can't imagine leaving New York if you've got a foothold there, but you're going to Rochester ...>

Are you going to have time to have a drink with us later this week? Let JoeNation get you doing the weather one more time?
0 Replies