Christian Exodus calls people here to transform state's gov.

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:38 am
Does every Christian conservative in the country now move to South Carolina?

Quote:

Christian Exodus calls people here to transform state's government
100 sign up for conservative Christian meeting

Posted Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 6:00 am

By Ron Barnett
STAFF WRITER
[email protected]

Space was limited to 210 attendees, but Christian Exodus hasn't had to turn anyone away for its fall conference this weekend in Greenville despite national attention the group has drawn.

About 100 people, more than half of them South Carolina residents, are expected for the event, said organizer Cory Burnell.

It was designed to entice people to move here from across the nation, to help push the state toward a "constitutionally limited government founded upon Christian principles."

Booths will be set up offering information on real estate, schools and jobs.

Speakers -- including a psychiatrist who researches terrorism and plans to run for president in 2008, and a GOP candidate for governor of Texas in 2006 -- are on the agenda.

The group has chosen South Carolina, already an overwhelmingly conservative state, as a place to try to concentrate the political power of Christian conservatives, which it says is too diluted across the nation to have significant impact.
Link to full report

Its initial goal is to move 2,500 members here by Sept. 30, 2006. So far, five families -- a total of about a dozen people -- have come.

Why are they doing it?

The group has chosen South Carolina, already an overwhelmingly conservative state, as a place to try to concentrate the political power of Christian conservatives, which it says is too diluted across the nation to have significant impact.

Christian Exodus homepage
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 639 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:50 am
So the goal was 2,500 new residents. About a dozen actually made the move. And, amid all the media flurry, obly about 100 showed up for the conference! In a country of more than 250 million people, that doesn't seem like even a drop in the bucket. Also a "constitutionally limited government founded upon Christian principles" would immediately run into insurmountable legal problems as that would go direct5ly against the provisions of the US Constitutions, which clearly calls for political instruments to be separated from any religious dogma of whatever kind. In order to carry out such a plan, South Carolina would have to secede from the United States. And we all know what happened the last time they tried that in 1860.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 01:00 pm
My son just bought a house, and is being transferred to, guess where??? South Carolina. He is just like me, politically, so maybe he will start a counter movement! Laughing
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 02:21 pm
Actually, Phoenix, there are some good people in South Carolina and some of them are pretty well organized. I know some folks in Columbia who manage to get large turnouts for such campaigns as civil rights legislation and who also managed to get the state legislature to remove the Confederate flag from the State House and place it in an obscure location on the lawn. They're now working to get rid of it completely. And one of them happens to be a retired Protestant university chaplain from Texas!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 02:34 pm
This sounds very much like the idea behind Jefferson State and it couterpart Cascadia.

I need to refresh my memory....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 02:53 pm
I guess I was wrong about the idea behind Jefferson State. For some reason I thought it was trying to be set up as a fundamentalist paradise.

But I do love their "Proclamation of Independence:

Quote:
You are now entering Jefferson, the 49th State of the Union.

Jefferson is now in patriotic rebellion against the States of California and Oregon.

This State has seceded from California and Oregon this Thursday, November 27, 1941.

Patriotic Jeffersonians intend to secede each Thursday until further notice.

For the next hundred miles as you drive along Highway 99, you are traveling parallel to the greatest copper belt in the far West, seventy-five miles west of here.

The United States government needs this vital mineral. But gross neglect by California and Oregon deprives us of necessary roads to bring out the copper ore.

If you don't believe this, drive down the Klamath River highway and see for yourself. Take your chains, shovel and dynamite.

Until California and Oregon build a road into the copper country, Jefferson, as a defense minded state, will be forced to rebel each Thursday and act as a separate State.

(Please carry this proclamation with you and pass them out on your way.)

State of Jefferson Citizens Committee
Temporary State Capitol, Yreka

However, Cascadia might be the counter part to South Carolina.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 03:10 pm
Haven't people like that managed to have a real influence somewhere out west? Dammit, I can't remember where....mebbe Colorado?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 03:12 pm
You're probably thinking of the fundamentalist Mormons in Colorado City, Arizona, dlowan.

They're pretty much left to their own devices.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 03:17 pm
Nope.

Dys has said a lot about it, and they aren't in Arizona, and they aren't Mormons.

They have moved in enmasse and managed to have a big effect on government. There's a branch of 'em in Australia, too. Nasty.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 03:28 pm
The Children of God aka The Family?

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh? (His group took over the city council and school board of Antelope, Oregon and made all kinds of commotion back in the 80s)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 03:33 pm
Sounds like they copied the playbook from the Free State Project.

http://www.freestateproject.org/

Different group, different goal, different state but the same process.
0 Replies