Fattest City in the US and the Winner is………….

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:38 am
Houston. Why - because:

More than 23% of Houstonians are clinically obese (per CDC) and almost 62% are overweight. In Texas - More than 1 out of 4 adults is clinically obese and almost 3 out of 10 haven't been physically active at all for the past 30 days.

Houston's TV-watching rate is the third-highest (per Nielsen Media Research data).

In a measure of doughnut shops per capita, Houston boasts more than twice the national average.

Houston's EPA air quality rating is worse than any other city in our survey except Philadelphia and Fresno, with which it tied for last place.

Others in the top ten: Philadelphia, Detroit, Memphis, Chicago, Dallas, New Orleans, New York, Las Vegas and San Antonio.

Top fittest: Seattle, Honolulu, Colorado Springs, San Francisco, Denver, Portland, Sacramento, Tucson, San Diego, Albuquerque - Boston 11th.

http://www.mensfitness.com/rankings/304 or http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2003-01-01-cities-usat_x.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 752 • Replies: 9
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:42 am
How the hell could New York be #8? Everybody walks all over the place here. I guess they are including those fat bastards in Brooklyn.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:42 am
One could speculate that some of this may have to do with cities where the weather is temperate enough to make walking comfortable vs. those where it's so warm and muggy that folks just go from one indoor, AC environment to the next.

There's also the fact that some cities are ped-friendly and others aren't..
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:50 am
Hard to believe that Atlanta isn't included on the fat list. A friend and I were just commenting yesterday on the number of heavy people you see these days compared to when we were younger. She thinks it's something in the food. I think it's a combo of the many hours spent in front of a tv/computer and the lack of exercise that children get today, mainly the elimination of daily gym classes. Fat children more than likely become fat adults.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:51 am
Portland is very pedestrian and bicycle friendly.

Plus, our strict urban growth boundries ensure that most goods and services can be found within walking distance of any home -- even in the 'burbs.

We also have great mass transit and limited space to build new roads so driving everywhere is less practical.

And yes -- the weather in great for outdoor activities year round.

I think city planning and weather are the two greatest factor in the fitness of Portland.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:56 am
Atlanta is number 23 for fattest.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 05:24 pm
As I clicked to open this thread I thought it was going to be Dallas.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 05:27 pm
D'Art, Boston is 11th, and not a very weather-friendly city. But, we do have a very young population.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 05:34 pm
littlek wrote:
D'Art, Boston is 11th, and not a very weather-friendly city. But, we do have a very young population.

Right. And, in spite of the fact that we all swear at it daily, the public transit system really runs quite well and makes most places very accessible. I take the T to a lot of places (including work) in preference to driving. The dearth of affordable parking facilities also encourages walking. I suspect that Bostonians would be a lot higher on that list if it were not for the fact that you cite, li'l k -- the not very weather-friendly atmosphere. One doesn't walk any more than necessary in the Winter, and, in fact, one tries to build up a layer of fat against the inclement elements.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 05:42 pm
I had know about Houston from Supersize-Me
the healthy cities are interesting - rainy Seattle
0 Replies