Root canal fillings causing health problems...quackery?

sozobe

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:26 am
Quote:
The end of a tooth root can be very, very complex and sometimes there can be unfilled spaces in this area after a root canal. The unfilled spaces can harbor bacteria and cause a dental abscess. Fortunately, this is becoming less common with new modern techniques, however, there are many older root canals previously performed with older more irritating root canal filling materials.

http://www.atlantadentist.com/Soft_guard.html

I'll stop.

What does the fella who started this train of thought think should be done about a problem tooth?

That's still where I am -- it ain't perfect, but pretty good (especially if done correctly -- a lot of the stuff I'm coming across indicates that dental skill is a real factor here) is there a better alternative?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:28 am
It was eeeek.

The whole amagalgam filling thing is a puzzle too.

On the one hand, there seems a prima facie case that having a mouth full of mercury is not a great idea.

On the other hand, they have been around for ages, and the people who decry them sniff of quackery to me.

Most dentists say that once in amalgam, the mercury is safe, and they could make a mint taking them out.

Then again, stuff has proven not to be good, that we were told was harmless.

But I have not seen evidence that convinces me that they are doing harm.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:31 am
Ha.

The rip em outers say that you have to do it carefully, with dental dams and all, irrigate the cvity with saline a LOT, and take some jaw bone with the tooth!!!!

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHH!

I have never had an ordinary extraction, much less that!!!!

Damn tooth hurts though.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:31 am
Yep, me too, pretty much word for word. (This part was covered in my previous thorough research.)

I had the composite ones put in sozlet's mouth, which insurance didn't cover, and cost a pretty penny. So felt strongly enough to do that (also the color, white vs. gray/ silver). But haven't had the amalgam ones I have taken out of my own mouth.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:34 am
Indeed.

And, it turns out, the amalgam phobes say that has to be done in a special way......quadrant by quadrant and much palaver.....and money.

(Goddess, I miss my dash!)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:38 am
OK, jawbone taken out doesn't sound good at ALL!!!

Especially given the link up there somewhere <gestures vaguely> about how extraction actually releases way MORE bacteria into the body.

---------------------------------------------

Some dashes for ya.

I'd be lost without 'em!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:41 am
Now you are rubbing it in, she said icily.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:42 am
It's enough to make a Wabbit smoke....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:54 am
I wouldn't call my dentist an amalgalm-phobe, but the minute there's a crack in an old amalgalm filling - he wants it out/replaced - and pronto.

The whole bacteria/root canal thing - where's hamburger? He had a lot of problems with years of infection following a root canal which missed the third root. grrrrrrrrrrrrr Twisted Evil
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 03:12 pm
That is what happened to me!

Grrrrrrrrrr......
0 Replies