Chat With Reyn

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:17 pm
I was born in a tent in a cotton patch. You?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:18 pm
Coming late to the conversation....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:21 pm
I was born, luckily as I was apparently blue, and maybe that is now obvious, in St. Vincent's in Los Angeles and my father wasn't there because he was at key union meeting, as I heard it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:22 pm
I was nearly born in the car. I wanted out THAT bad.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:23 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I'm curious why you wouldn't want to go back to Holland. Other than the sort of mmmm cheesy scent of the milk, I think it's one of the more wonderful places to visit. I have very fond memories of my visits there in my teens.

Well, of course I was 5 when I left the country. I do have some memories, but moreso my sister who is 3 years older than myself.

I don't have any real close family to visit. Just cousins.

My closest relative would be a 1st cousin. An only son of my father's sister. He appears to be fairly wacko. Sad story about his mother.

England really appeals to me.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:24 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
<pulls in barcalounger, and cracks open a beer...>

<hands LTX a coaster>

Hiya there! Is this bud for you? Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:27 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Pancho is really named Pacco, which is italian for PACKAGE, as to be distinguished from spanish nickname, Paco, for (I never remember, is it Enrique?

I think Pancho is nickname for Francisco (in ital, francesco).

I named pacco as package, after giving up naming him 'bocce', since bocce turned out to be feminine and he isn't .

His full nonkennel club name since he isn't a member is Pacco Dono, my coining for the words, gift package in italian.

However, since I am only an italian language learner, late in life at that, I will cheerfully admit that italians probably don't say gift package as 'pacco dono'.

But, I don't care.

Oh, sorry. Pacco. How old is he?

We've got to black and white cats. One, Kira, a female who is 8. the second one is, Kory, a male who is coming up on 7.

One of these days when I get a digital camera, I will post some pics.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:30 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I was born in a tent in a cotton patch. You?

Well, I was born in Alkmaar, The Netherlands, 17 April 1951. I assume in a hospital. Not sure on the time.

Born in a tent? Well, that's certainly makes for an interesting start in life. What's the story behind that (if you want to talk about it)?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:32 pm
littlek wrote:
Coming late to the conversation....

Hi 'littlek'! Grab a chair and the coffee over there.
<Reyn gestures to the far side of the room>

If ya need something cold, the fridge is through the kitchen behind ya. :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:33 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I was born, luckily as I was apparently blue, and maybe that is now obvious, in St. Vincent's in Los Angeles and my father wasn't there because he was at key union meeting, as I heard it.

Blue? What causes that?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:34 pm
littlek wrote:
I was nearly born in the car. I wanted out THAT bad.

I've heard of stories of babies born in cars. Now, I get to meet someone who did. Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:48 pm
My family were what Woody Guthrie called "dustbowl refugees." They followed the crops. It so happened they were camped in a cotton patch when it happened. They called an old doctor out of retirement for the delivery. He wrote both my and my mother's names wrong on the birth certificate. Example: my mother's name was Sylvia. He put "Silvie." Oddly, I survived.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:53 pm
I looked it up once, placenta praevia or some other condition. I'm just glad to be here.

On Pacco, I have no firm clue how old he is.

He was found trekking down highway 101, and put in a long stay at the humane society before I nabbed him, sadly the first person who inquired, after he had been there a month. That was about five years ago, and he was taken to be older then, by the vet.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:01 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
My family were what Woody Guthrie called "dustbowl refugees." They followed the crops. It so happened they were camped in a cotton patch when it happened. They called an old doctor out of retirement for the delivery. He wrote both my and my mother's names wrong on the birth certificate. Example: my mother's name was Sylvia. He put "Silvie." Oddly, I survived.

Edgar, that must have been a hard life for them, and being born into that situation I'm sure was difficult for you.

Re: wrong names on certificates.
Both my wife and I have have an interest in genealogy (my wife moreso). During our various family researches, it absolutely amazed me how many times names were incorrect.

You could see it everywhere. Birth and death certificates, church records, census records, etc.

Within my own family line, there were examples of the surname different in the same family group!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:04 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I looked it up once, placenta praevia or some other condition. I'm just glad to be here.

On Pacco, I have no firm clue how old he is.

He was found trekking down highway 101, and put in a long stay at the humane society before I nabbed him, sadly the first person who inquired, after he had been there a month. That was about five years ago, and he was taken to be older then, by the vet.

We're glad you made it, too! You're one-of-a-kind. :wink:

That's such a sad story about your dog. Can't the vet usually tell the age fairly accurately by examining the teeth?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:05 pm
I've been trying for years to find a death certificate on my father. We are pretty sure he died in 1948, but whether it was in Texas or California we can't be sure. He may not have had a social security card, since there appears to be no record.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:06 pm
On my blueness, or not, I dunno. There are conditions that cause that, and they surely involve lack of oxygen to the brain. And is this why I yam what I yam? somehow I think it was hyperbole, I'm fine enough, lucky enough. Oxygen at birth sounds pretty important to me, if not for me - oh, did that cause my eye stuff? - let's just say a lot of people have oxygen deprovation at birth.

Let's hope that can all be ameliorated over time.
Sorry I brought it up.

No commentary has meant more to me here than Edgar's.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:25 pm
Hi, Reyn.

I too am coming late to the conversation. I've enjoyed reading the first pages of your chat room thread.

My father was born on a train. His father was a Canadian citizen living in Massachusettes. He and my grandmother were returning to Mass. from visiting relatives in New Brunswick when she began her labour. They were never exactly sure whether he was born in Maine or Massachusettes but the birth certificate said Massachusettes because that's where the trip ended.

He was born on August 14, 1914 ~ the day World War I began.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:25 pm
I'm interested re edgar's father,,, on Pacco, he is probably by now eleven or twelve. Long may he abide with us, as they say.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:29 pm
Aside for all interested in trains and how they work...

John McPhee does a number on trains in this week's New Yorker. - I am still mid read.
0 Replies