Is This The Death Of America?

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 02:38 pm
8 October 2005

IS THIS THE DEATH OF AMERICA?
America's sense of itself - its pride in its power - has been profoundly damaged.

By Dermot Purgavie, Veteran US Correspondent

THIS week Karen Hughes, long-time political adviser to George Bush, began her new mission as the State Department's official defender of America's image with a tour of the Middle East.

She might have been more help to her beleaguered president had she stayed at home and used her PR skills on her neighbours. At the end of a cruel and turbulent summer, nobody is more dismayed and demoralised about America than Americans.

They have watched with growing disbelief and horror as a convergence of events - dominated by the unending war in Iraq and two hurricanes - have exposed ugly and disturbing things in the undergrowth that shame and embarrass Americans and undermine their belief in the nation and its values.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/mirror/dec2002/0/7/00000B06-F576-1DF5-A05680C328ECFE6C.jpg
UNPOPULAR: Mr Bush is failing in polls

With TV providing a ceaseless backdrop of the country's failings - a crippled and tone-deaf president, a negligent government, corruption, military atrocities, soaring debt, racial conflict, poverty, bloated bodies in floodwater, people dying on camera for want of food, water and medicine - it seemed things were falling apart in the land where happiness is promoted in the constitution.

Disillusioning news was everywhere. In the flight from Hurricane Rita, evacuees fought knife fights over cans of petrol. In storm-hit Louisiana there were long queues at gun stores as people armed themselves against looters.

AMERICA, which has the world's costliest health care, had, it turned out, higher infant mortality rates than the broke and despised Cuba.

Tom De Lay, Republican enforcer in the House of Representatives, was indicted for conspiracy and money laundering. The leader of the Republicans in the Senate was under investigation for his stock dealings. And Osama bin Laden was still on the loose.

Americans are the planet's biggest flag wavers. They are reared on the conceit that theirs is the world's best and most enviable country, born only the day before yesterday but a model society with freedom, opportunity and prosperity not found, they think, in older cultures.

They rejoice that "We are No.1", and in many ways they are.

But events have revealed a creeping mildew of pain and privation, graft and injustice and much incompetence lurking beneath the glow of star-spangled superiority.

Many here feel the country is breaking down and losing its moral and political authority.

"US in funk" say the headlines. "I am ashamed to be an American," say the letters to the editor. We are seeing, say the commentators, a crumbling - and humbling - of America.

The catalogue of afflictions is long and grisly. Hurricane Katrina revealed confusion and incompetence throughout government, from town hall to White House.

President Bush, accused of an alarming failure of leadership over the disaster, has now been to the Gulf coast seven times for carefully orchestrated photo opps.

But his approval has dropped below 40 per cent. Public doubt about his capacity to deal with pressing problems is growing.

Americans feel ashamed by the violent, predatory behaviour Katrina triggered - nothing similar happened in the tsunami-hit Third World countries - and by the deep racial and class divisions it revealed.

The press has since been giving the country a crash course on poverty and race, informing the flag wavers that an uncaring America may be No.1 on the world inequities index.

IT has 37 million living under the poverty line, largely unnoticed by the richest in a country with more than three million millionaires.

The typical white family has $80,000 in assets; the average black family about $6,000. It's a wealth gap out of the Middle Ages. Some 46 million can't afford health insurance, 18,000 of whom will die early because of it.

The US, we learn, is 43rd in the world infant mortality rankings. A baby born in Beijing has nearly three times the chance of reaching its first birthday than a baby born in Washington. Those who survive face rotten schools. On reading and maths tests for 15-year-olds, America is 24th out of 29 nations.

On the other side of the tracks, 18 corporate executives have so far been jailed for cooking the books and looting billions. The prosecution of Mr Bush's pals at Enron - the showcase trial of the greed-is-good culture - will be soon.

But the backroom deal lives on and, in an orgy of cronyism, billions of dollars are being carved up in no-bid contracts awarded to politically-connected firms for work in the hurricane-hit states and in Iraq.

The war, seen as unwinnable, is becoming a bleak burden, with nearly 2,000 American dead. Two-thirds think the invasion was a mistake.

The war costs $6billion a month, driving up a nose-bleed high $331billion budget deficit. In five years the conflict will have cost each American family $11,300, it is said.

Mr Bush says blithely he'll cut existing programmes to pay for the war and fund an estimated $200billion for hurricane damage. He won't, he says, rescind his tax cuts. Republican Senator Chuck Hagel says Mr Bush is "disconnected from reality".

Americans have been angered by a reports that US troops have routinely tortured Iraqi prisoners. Some 230 low-rankers have been convicted - but not one general or Pentagon overseer. Disgruntled young officers are leaving in increasing numbers.

Meanwhile, further damaging Americans' self image, there's Afghanistan. The White House says its operations there were a success, yet last year Afghanistan supplied 90 per cent of the world's heroin.

America's sense of itself - its pride in its power and authority, its faith in its institutions and its belief in its leaders - has been profoundly damaged. And now the talking heads in Washington predict dramatic political change and the death of the Republicans' hope of becoming the permanent government.

IS AMERICA FINISHED?

Mirror.co.uk
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,674 • Replies: 76
No top replies

sunlover

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 02:52 pm
Maybe it is just you who are looking through a glass darkly.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 02:52 pm
President Bush, accused of an alarming failure of leadership over the disaster, has now been to the Gulf coast seven times for carefully orchestrated photo opps.

I'm not sure why, but for some reason that bothers me more than the rest of the horrid facts in the article.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 02:55 pm
How did this happen? How did a piece of offal rise to the highest position in the country?

I think it's a reflection of the dumbing of America.

No other country on earth has a populace so ignorant and uninformed.

Yep, it is the beginning of the end.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 02:57 pm
That poll doesn't make sense, by the way. The only answer that would fit in with the question is #3.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 03:00 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
That poll doesn't make sense, by the way. The only answer that would fit in with the question is #3.

Sorry, the question was supposed to be "IS THIS THE DEATH OF AMERICA?" i got it all mixed up, and i cant edit it Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 03:02 pm
sunlover wrote:
Maybe it is just you who are looking through a glass darkly.

Please dont pick on me, i'am just postin the views of the world, i and think we should take notice.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 03:14 pm
I don't know about the end, but it sure hasn't been a great year.

In fact, it hasn't been a particularly great four and a half years.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 03:23 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
How did this happen? How did a piece of offal rise to the highest position in the country?

The question is: Why are Americans so ignorant and uninformed?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 03:33 pm
I really think that, as Mark Twain once said about a premature obituary, the reports of the death of America have been greatly exaggerated. But, that said, I think this might well be the end of the American Republic and the begining of the American Empire. We are, without a doubt, the most powerful country in the world. No country has the armed force that could begin to compete with our military strength. So, I don't think we're going under as a world power in the forseeable future. But we have seen, in recent years, the slow erosion of our civil liberties and suborning of the Constitution by an insidious right-wing movement which is now in full power in Washington. The growing power of the Chief Executive has been achieved with full collaboration and cooperation of the Legislative branch. Congress has been only too glad to give the President "special powers" which are not provided for in the Constitution. And thus the Bushes (pere et fils), as well as Ronald Reagan, have been able to wage wars without a declaration of war by Congress, as the Constitution provides.

The president now has powers which the founding fathers never intended for a president to have. Our armed forces are stationed in outposts all over the world and some of these outposts have, in effect, become no more than client states. The all-volunteer army -- so beloved by both the extreme Left and the extreme Right -- has become a mercenary force at the beck and call of whoever resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. I am personally in favor of bringing back the draft. I can trust a citizen army of grunts who are serving because they have to, not because they consider war an art form. A "professional" army is not compatible with a democracy, in my view, particularly when that army is the most powerful armed force in the world.

Does that sound like I'm scared? You bet your ass I am.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 03:35 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I'm not sure why, but for some reason that bothers me more than the rest of the horrid facts in the article.

My reaction is quite similar, gus. In great measure because of Ron Suskind's reporting on what a senior Bush aide said to him...
Quote:
The aide said that guys like me were ''in what we call the reality-based community,'' which he defined as people who ''believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.'' I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. ''That's not the way the world really works anymore,'' he continued. ''We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.''

Even if this administration continues to sink in the polls, and even if the elections in 2006 and 2008 return one or two houses and the presidency to the other party, you will still have a huge and effective propaganda machine as part of the new mix of things. And, as this site demonstrates, there is already a portion of the electorate who are primed and eager to rip out their neighbor's guts merely to repair some missing psychic equanimity.

On the other hand, I find it immensely encouraging that the wheels are falling off this administration now and that this is increasingly apparent, as polls show.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 04:10 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

The question is: Why are Americans so ignorant and uninformed?

What's more worrying CJ, is that many Americans don't KNOW that they are ignorant and uninformed.

What's even MORE worrying is the fact that they probably wouldn't care.

This isn't the death of America. America is too powerful.
It may be the turning point for the better, though. It won't happen soon, but it will happen eventually, when the American economy goes into a massive nosedive because of the governments blinkered attitude regarding the USA's borrowing nightmare.

This will FORCE change, but a lot of hardship will have to be endured in the process. I just hope that it makes them all regroup and start caring about one another.

One thing that has struck me since being on A2K is, when reading up on the American way of life, it appears that they have a massive divide between rich and poor. Corporate America seems to rule, and there does not seem to be much compassion when it comes to looking after its people.
If you can't afford to pay for your medical expenses out there, it appears that you stay sick or get worse.
This is alien to me.

Another obsession seems to be with taxes. The "I'm alright, jack" philosophy, with those that are earning good money.
They seem to not care whether fellow Americans are doing without basic treatment due to lack of money. As long as the Government do not take an extra cent out of their pay packets, they will carry on living in comfy suburbia, ignoring all the inequality that surrounds them.

In a nutshell, it would seem that America is a great place to be if you are in a job and are earning good money. If you are NOT, then you are in deep doo do.

Americans would be AMAZED at what life is like in most of Europe. Taxes may be higher, but our needs are looked after without thought of financial ruin because of a stay in hospital.
The thought of medical expense doesn't even enter my head, because it doesn't exist here in the UK...... Zilch. Zippo.
You can have as many scans, xrays, consultants and tests as you require in hospital, and stay for months until you are able to leave, and it will not cost one penny.

Just a shame we couldn't do something about the weather, really......

Start caring about your fellow Americans, you U.S. Politicians.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 04:43 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:

One thing that has struck me since being on A2K is, when reading up on the American way of life, it appears that they have a massive divide between rich and poor. Corporate America seems to rule, and there does not seem to be much compassion when it comes to looking after its people.
If you can't afford to pay for your medical expenses out there, it appears that you stay sick or get worse.
This is alien to me.

Another obsession seems to be with taxes. The "I'm alright, jack" philosophy, with those that are earning good money.
They seem to not care whether fellow Americans are doing without basic treatment due to lack of money. As long as the Government do not take an extra cent out of their pay packets, they will carry on living in comfy suburbia, ignoring all the inequality that surrounds them..

WE may be extremely powerful at the moment but much of it is an illusion. The economy of this country is rapidly hollowing out. This is the latest example, Dlephi, a manufacture of auto parts.. Another is Polaroid. That used to be a proud New England research and manufacturing company. Now it is a shell maintained for marketing purposes. All the manufacturing is done by off shore contractors

Auto Supplier Delphi Files for Bankruptcy

By Danny Hakim
Published: October 9, 2005 New York Times

Delphi the nation's largest auto supplier, filed for bankruptcy-court protection on Saturday, the largest filing ever in the domestic auto industry.

Three months ago, Delphi's board hired Mr. Miller, an executive with a history of turnarounds. Mr. Miller said he would file for bankruptcy before a major change in the laws on Oct. 17, unless G.M. agreed to a multibillion-dollar bailout and its labor unions, the largest of which is the United Auto Workers, agreed to steep wage and benefit cuts.

Delphi wanted workers to accept wages of $10 to $12 an hour, compared with the $26 to $30 an hour most make today.

From Mr. Miller's perspective, and in the view of many financial analysts, Delphi cannot continue to support its United States work force when workers in China and Mexico receive a fraction of the wages and benefits earned by Americans.

New York Times
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 05:12 pm
i also just read about delphi filing for bankruptcy - truly awful. about once a month i obtain a copy of "business week" - probably the most reliable u.s. business magazine - and the reports about companies having serious problems are on the increase. the issue of september 26 reports about the many large u.s. airlines filing filing for bankrupcy - and settling the federal pension relief fund with more and more liabilities, since the bankrupt companies no longer have the money to pay their pension obligations.

an article on energy is headed : "open season on big oil - an angry public wants quick relief from high prices. here's why none is in sight".

happy days are here again . hbg
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 05:51 pm
Nah, it's just your wet dream. Bush is doing what he has to in the world. Many people know that. Many of those who do have negative ideas about us, have them because you're cheerleading them. If you call someone "embattled," "beleaguered," etc. long enough, eventually some of it sticks. You could do it to anybody who was taking a stand on something important.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:23 pm
Nobody, but nobody HAS TO send their fellow countrymen to a far away land and fight people that have nothing to do with the attack on the Twin Towers.
He CHOSE to do it. It was his CHOICE!

This trumped up war is costing billions of dollars that the USA cannot afford, and more importantly, it is costing the lives of thousands of human beings, including the aforementioned fellow countrymen.

The reward for this massive national debt that he is running up, is to make Iraq the focal point for injustice in the moslem world, and is acting as the best recruitment propaganda for AQ, since the Guantanamo prisoners film footage was broadcast over the world, showing them in orange boiler suits, being carried on stretchers to their "interrogations".

GWB has the foresight of a moth heading towards a flame. He also has the obstinacy of a mule, therefore he will not admit that he was wrong about Iraq, and will keep this farce going until he, or the poor bastard that suceeds him, is FORCED to withdraw because of public pressure from the U.S. citizens.

The first warning light that the U.S.A. is heading for an economic crash is already flicking on and off in the form of your Interest rates. They are now on the rise, and will continue in this fashion for some time to come.

It will probably be the U.S. economic catastrophe that will finally put an end to this wicked and corrupt spell of government, as America only seems to listen to money.

Unfortunately, this rise in rates will probably bounce around the world.

Thanks George. The proper English word for you is "Pillock".
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:30 pm
I thought it was "shite-for-brains." Oh wait, maybe that's Scottish.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:40 pm
You might read chapter two of Citizens by Simon Schama. The similarities give one pause.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:47 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Nah, it's just your wet dream. Bush is doing what he has to in the world. Many people know that. Many of those who do have negative ideas about us, have them because you're cheerleading them. If you call someone "embattled," "beleaguered," etc. long enough, eventually some of it sticks. You could do it to anybody who was taking a stand on something important.

ass kisser. Laughing
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 11:09 pm
Re: Is This The Death Of America?
We are #1 and we've been #1 for quite some time.

I know this galls so many foreigners and embarrasses so many Americans, but it remains a fact.

What's more, I strongly suspect that we will remain #1 for many years to come. Long after the white hot hatred of George Bush cools to indifference, long after New Orleans is rebuilt, and long after the War in Iraq is concluded.

I know this galls so many foreigners and embarrasses so many Americans, but it's just something they'll have to get used to.

Since the end of WWII, there have been natural disasters and popular and unpopular wars. There have been political scandals and incompetent leaders. There has been much fear and envy directed at America from outside, and much hand wringing and predictions of doom from within. Throughout, America has been #1.

Of course America has never been #1 in all things, and there are some areas (such as Purgavie has helpfully pointed out) where we are much further down the list than we should be, and we need to lift our position accordingly.

However, we have the #1 military in the world and our lead is so great that it is unlikely that any nation or even group of nations will be able to achieve parity without help from us - our abandoning the desire to be #1.

We have the #1 economy in the world, and rumors of it's demise are greatly exaggerated. China and India are certainly potential rivals, and if they can get their acts together they may, someday, overtake us, but it is amusing how the heralds of the coming Asian economic giants so easily dismiss the very same problems in these nations which they assure us will drag down America:

Environmental degradation
Loss of personal liberties
Political cronyism and corruption
Extreme disparities between the haves and have nots
Militarism

We have, in terms of pervasiveness and influence, the #1 culture in the world. I know this fact really horrifies quite a few people, but there you go. I guess there's no accounting for taste.

Envious snipers, and embarrassed hand-wringers take heart, America is not likely to be #1 forever. I'm rather certain that I will not live to see America fall from its perch, which is comforting not only because I like being #1, but because I'm not at all sure that the next #1 will be half as positive a force for the world as is America...warts and all.
0 Replies