The Dark Side of Faith

dlowan

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 10:48 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Intolerant absolutism comes in many forms, not all of them religious or even theistic. Soviet style "Communism" was utterly intolerant of any cultural or political challenge or even alternative viewpoint.['b] Moreover it bred a host of societal ills, ranging from mass extermination to (as we learned after its fall) to widespread corruption and gangsterism. The Chinese version under Mao was hardly different. Nazi Germany also practiced a seculasr form of absolutism, and delivered rather efficient mass exterminations in the process.

As this thread so eloquently demonstrates there are also relatively more benign forms of intolerant secular absolutism. The great irony here is the similarity of their version of close-mindedness to that of the religious absolutists they so liberally criticise, and, as well, the absurdity of the arguments they put forward to support their claims - this one being an excellent example.

Indeed, a point made at the beginning of this thread. Seems you ddn't read it?????

If you refer to me, I just think born agains are loony - I don't consign them to hell, or say they can't marry, or teach, or be in the army, or should be burned, or that they cause earthquakes and such.

Small difference?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 05:51 am
Here's the pdf of the study discussed in Blathams first post.

http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/pdf/2005-11.pdf

Just off hand, first impression, I'd say we could just as easily say the states with the highest rate of homicides, abortions, etc are also the poorest. For homocides, Alabama and Mississippi lead, while they are also at the bottom of the list for education.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:41 am
dlowan wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
Intolerant absolutism comes in many forms, not all of them religious or even theistic. Soviet style "Communism" was utterly intolerant of any cultural or political challenge or even alternative viewpoint.['b] Moreover it bred a host of societal ills, ranging from mass extermination to (as we learned after its fall) to widespread corruption and gangsterism. The Chinese version under Mao was hardly different. Nazi Germany also practiced a seculasr form of absolutism, and delivered rather efficient mass exterminations in the process.

As this thread so eloquently demonstrates there are also relatively more benign forms of intolerant secular absolutism. The great irony here is the similarity of their version of close-mindedness to that of the religious absolutists they so liberally criticise, and, as well, the absurdity of the arguments they put forward to support their claims - this one being an excellent example.

Indeed, a point made at the beginning of this thread. Seems you ddn't read it?????

If you refer to me, I just think born agains are loony - I don't consign them to hell, or say they can't marry, or teach, or be in the army, or should be burned, or that they cause earthquakes and such.

Small difference?

George has one of those unusual mouths which is considerably larger than the brain behind it. I understand there is a statistical correlation between this physical abnormality and military service. Causality unknown. He indicts 'abolutism' here???!!! Sheesh and a half. Go to the corner, george. Live the shame.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:23 am
This thread is about Muslim fanatics right?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:03 am
OK...let's do this again.

Finn said:
Quote:
Unfortunately blatham, you do not get to decide who is a respectable spokesperson for Christianity.

But indeed I do. In precisely the same manner in which I or you might properly make moral or theological judgements regarding whether Osama represents a "respectable spokesperson" for all of Islam. Later in your post, finn, you bring up "moral relativism". That term, at least in the parlance of popular modern conservativism, means precisely the opposite of any such value differentiation as I've just made above. That is, it refers to an inability or refusal to differentiate between moral claims.

Quote:
I am happy to find that you are positively inclined towards the writings of Niebuhr. I have no doubt that he would have been quite gratified knowing that you, and perhaps dlowan, considered him an acceptable fool.

I consider Niebuhr ("One doesn't have to take the bible literally to take it seriously.") to be no kind of fool. Nor the Dalai Lama. Nor Desmond Tutu. Nor Malcolm Muggeridge. Nor very many other men and women of "faith".

Quote:
Of course post-modernists will recoil in horror from anything that smacks of the absolute, and in their smug self-assurance they will assume that anyone of education, intelligence, and means will recognize that moral relativism is the way of the real world.

Whatever have you been reading? You've discerned the postmodernist tendencies in my thought from my critique of architecture? My adherence to a variety of literary theory? If I represent postmodernism here, who would you name as a representative of modernism? In which exclusive and definitive camp do you spot yourself?

As to "absolutism" (perk up here, george), via what rationale or history do you attribute a distaste for absolutism as arising in postmodernism? Your own founders were deeply distrustful of absolutism. Or you could turn to enlightenment and renaissance writings and find it there (you could do a wonderful paper on Shakespeare's study of of political absolutism). Or even go back further, to Aristotle ..."All things in moderation". So, yes, I have an abiding distaste for absolutism.

Quote:
Your fear is of external limitations. You trust yourself to decide what is and isn't proper (all the while ignoring that bias may play a part in the decision), but not a body of thought from outside. I can understand this fear.

You may share my fear, but you fail in the naming of it. I have little problem with "external limitation" established by others, eg stop signs. I may choose to ignore them, but they do not constitute a serious or profound liberty problem.

What I do refuse to accept is any insistence by others that I ought to consider my own moral judgements and life choices as inferior to theirs; that I should or must accept that they have access to moral truths of an (here it is again) absolute nature and that I have no comparable or equal access. Any attempts to coerce my agreement or subservience to another's moral ideas and value judgements, via laws or any other means, do constitute a profound jeopardy for individual liberty.

Quote:
I certainly don't consistently abide by the absolute (and, tediously, it is necessary to point out that this is not necessarily Christian) principles in which I believe. In fact there are times when I defiantly, and with arrogance, petulantly disregard these principles, but I never attempt to dodge them by asserting they are born of ignorance, or worse...evil.

This is an odd bit of thinking, finn. Yes, you and I and Jimmy Carter lust after pretty things walking along. Moral principles often stand in conflict with other moral principles or with our desires and wishes. No news here.

But what makes a moral principle absolute? (note your use of absolute above). Can you name such a principle? You seem to discount and suggest at the same time that moral principles can arise only from religious ideas. Why use "dodging" as the verb here? You have a principle that says you shouldn't kill and another that says you should protect your family. Does violation of the first to achieve the second constitute 'dodging'? And who has claimed that principles are founded only in ignorance? Not I. Not dlowan. As to the word "evil", I don't think the term has any meaning at all other than "I have a really strong preference against x".

Quote:
I like Falwell and Robinson no more than do you, but please stop trying to assert that your arguments (and those of your secular humanist comrades) are centered solely on such idiots. If they were, you would be guilty, only, of exaggerating the importance of TV evangelists. (Let's be clear - you are clearly guilty of this offense).

First of all, I am no longer permitted to speak for my comrades because of the salty language and frequent allusions to bodily fluids. But secondly, and once again...whatever have you been reading? You seem to believe that secular humanism refers to something necessarily atheistic and absolutist. That's incorrect, if a popular usage in modern conservative thought. Secular can refer to an individual who is a member of a faith but not of any discreet order. It can refer to that which is unrelated to religious traditions (secular music). And "Humanism", from the American Heritage...
" Humanism A cultural and intellectual movement of the Renaissance that emphasized secular concerns as a result of the rediscovery and study of the literature, art, and civilization of ancient Greece and Rome."

My arguments, contrary to what seemed clear to you, ARE are not directed broadly, but discern the differences betwen religious figures and theologies such as you mention above. Falwell and Osama. Not Leonard Cohen in his buddhist retreat and not the Anglican John Hicks.

Quote:
The facile argument that bad things can be associated with religion is only remarkable to those who believe religion is perfect, and those who think everyone who adheres to religious teachings believes religion is perfect.

Sure, but such arguments are not necessarily facile at all, though many we see are. Group dynamics being what they are (eg, mob behavior, radical nationalisms, etc) and certain facts of psychology (eg, fear of death, emotional discomfort with the notions of a purposeless universe) differentiate religious phenomena and organizations from other human groupings in perhaps quite important ways.

Quote:
You and dlowan and Brooks have every right to argue that the rational trumps the irrational in each and every way. Hell, you may even be right, but it is a bit dicey to argue such a point irrationally.

That's not an argument I've ever made. It would be an absolutism, of course. Much of the human experience is pictured most 'accurately' through poetry, for example, not rational description.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:04 am
McGentrix wrote:

Yes. And your grandmother.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:11 am
blatham wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Yes. And your grandmother.

awwww... You had to go there?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:21 am
Well, I love her. You and I are in a minority on this, I know, but she's just my kind of girl what with the radical ideas and her taste for sweaty liberals.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:24 am
Ummmm...Both my grandmother's have been dead for some time...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 12:35 pm
squinney wrote:
Can I interject here?

I think there has been an assumption, promoted heavily by the Right with the help of the Moral Majority, that the "religious" are Bush's base and heavily voted for him.

I have yet to see proof of this claim.

Which came first? The support of Bush by the religious or the claim of their support that then caused those that viewed themselves as religious to jump on the wagon?

I think the Red/Blue divide is not a valid claim of one state having more Christians than another (making it Red), as much as economic and educational differences.

Considering that something like 90% of Americans identify themselves as "religious," you are right. As for whether or not his base consists of the "religious," I'd say that's a safe bet, but no he doesn't have a strangle hold on people who consider themselves religious.

Again, given the numbers involved, it is not possible that all Americans who view themselves as "religious" have jumped on Bush's wagon.

The entire Red/Blue divide is much more interesting and much more telling when viewed in terms of counties: County Map

From this we can see the divide tends to be wet urban vs dry rural.

The significance of water seems to be as an attraction for the development of urban areas.

So where the population is most dense, the politics tend to be blue.

Aren't there plenty of stories about other horrible things arising when people are packed into areas like rats?

In any case Paul's research, although welcomed by Brooks, is , at best, incomplete.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 03:12 pm
dlowan wrote:

Small difference?

Perhaps you are referring to your terse one line comment on page two to the effect that 'dogmas in any form suck'.

I don't think that, on a five page thread mostly dedicated to trashing "godism" and religion (and labelled that way as well), this constitutes addressing the point I made, and the basic contradiction it implies with respect to the proposition around which the thread was established and embellished on the subsequent pages.

Moreover the fixed ideas and dogma to which you refer often include as well the doctrines of contemporary political correctitude which you and Blatham appear to accept as revealed truth.

Hypocricy is the appropriate word.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 03:13 pm
dlowan wrote:

Small difference?

Perhaps you are referring to your terse one line comment on page two to the effect that 'dogmas in any form suck'.

I don't think that, on a five page thread mostly dedicated to trashing "godism" and religion (and labelled that way as well), this constitutes addressing the point I made, and the basic contradiction it implies with respect to the proposition around which the thread was established and embellished on the subsequent pages.

Moreover the fixed ideas and dogma to which you refer often include as well the doctrines of contemporary political correctitude which you and Blatham appear to accept as revealed truth.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 04:00 pm
blatham wrote:
OK...let's do this again.

Finn said:
Quote:
Unfortunately blatham, you do not get to decide who is a respectable spokesperson for Christianity.

But indeed I do. In precisely the same manner in which I or you might properly make moral or theological judgements regarding whether Osama represents a "respectable spokesperson" for all of Islam. Later in your post, finn, you bring up "moral relativism". That term, at least in the parlance of popular modern conservativism, means precisely the opposite of any such value differentiation as I've just made above. That is, it refers to an inability or refusal to differentiate between moral claims.

Quote:
I am happy to find that you are positively inclined towards the writings of Niebuhr. I have no doubt that he would have been quite gratified knowing that you, and perhaps dlowan, considered him an acceptable fool.

I consider Niebuhr ("One doesn't have to take the bible literally to take it seriously.") to be no kind of fool. Nor the Dalai Lama. Nor Desmond Tutu. Nor Malcolm Muggeridge. Nor very many other men and women of "faith".

Quote:
Of course post-modernists will recoil in horror from anything that smacks of the absolute, and in their smug self-assurance they will assume that anyone of education, intelligence, and means will recognize that moral relativism is the way of the real world.

Whatever have you been reading? You've discerned the postmodernist tendencies in my thought from my critique of architecture? My adherence to a variety of literary theory? If I represent postmodernism here, who would you name as a representative of modernism? In which exclusive and definitive camp do you spot yourself?

As to "absolutism" (perk up here, george), via what rationale or history do you attribute a distaste for absolutism as arising in postmodernism? Your own founders were deeply distrustful of absolutism. Or you could turn to enlightenment and renaissance writings and find it there (you could do a wonderful paper on Shakespeare's study of of political absolutism). Or even go back further, to Aristotle ..."All things in moderation". So, yes, I have an abiding distaste for absolutism.

Quote:
Your fear is of external limitations. You trust yourself to decide what is and isn't proper (all the while ignoring that bias may play a part in the decision), but not a body of thought from outside. I can understand this fear.

You may share my fear, but you fail in the naming of it. I have little problem with "external limitation" established by others, eg stop signs. I may choose to ignore them, but they do not constitute a serious or profound liberty problem.

What I do refuse to accept is any insistence by others that I ought to consider my own moral judgements and life choices as inferior to theirs; that I should or must accept that they have access to moral truths of an (here it is again) absolute nature and that I have no comparable or equal access. Any attempts to coerce my agreement or subservience to another's moral ideas and value judgements, via laws or any other means, do constitute a profound jeopardy for individual liberty.

Quote:
I certainly don't consistently abide by the absolute (and, tediously, it is necessary to point out that this is not necessarily Christian) principles in which I believe. In fact there are times when I defiantly, and with arrogance, petulantly disregard these principles, but I never attempt to dodge them by asserting they are born of ignorance, or worse...evil.

This is an odd bit of thinking, finn. Yes, you and I and Jimmy Carter lust after pretty things walking along. Moral principles often stand in conflict with other moral principles or with our desires and wishes. No news here.

But what makes a moral principle absolute? (note your use of absolute above). Can you name such a principle? You seem to discount and suggest at the same time that moral principles can arise only from religious ideas. Why use "dodging" as the verb here? You have a principle that says you shouldn't kill and another that says you should protect your family. Does violation of the first to achieve the second constitute 'dodging'? And who has claimed that principles are founded only in ignorance? Not I. Not dlowan. As to the word "evil", I don't think the term has any meaning at all other than "I have a really strong preference against x".

Quote:
I like Falwell and Robinson no more than do you, but please stop trying to assert that your arguments (and those of your secular humanist comrades) are centered solely on such idiots. If they were, you would be guilty, only, of exaggerating the importance of TV evangelists. (Let's be clear - you are clearly guilty of this offense).

First of all, I am no longer permitted to speak for my comrades because of the salty language and frequent allusions to bodily fluids. But secondly, and once again...whatever have you been reading? You seem to believe that secular humanism refers to something necessarily atheistic and absolutist. That's incorrect, if a popular usage in modern conservative thought. Secular can refer to an individual who is a member of a faith but not of any discreet order. It can refer to that which is unrelated to religious traditions (secular music). And "Humanism", from the American Heritage...
" Humanism A cultural and intellectual movement of the Renaissance that emphasized secular concerns as a result of the rediscovery and study of the literature, art, and civilization of ancient Greece and Rome."

My arguments, contrary to what seemed clear to you, ARE are not directed broadly, but discern the differences betwen religious figures and theologies such as you mention above. Falwell and Osama. Not Leonard Cohen in his buddhist retreat and not the Anglican John Hicks.

Quote:
The facile argument that bad things can be associated with religion is only remarkable to those who believe religion is perfect, and those who think everyone who adheres to religious teachings believes religion is perfect.

Sure, but such arguments are not necessarily facile at all, though many we see are. Group dynamics being what they are (eg, mob behavior, radical nationalisms, etc) and certain facts of psychology (eg, fear of death, emotional discomfort with the notions of a purposeless universe) differentiate religious phenomena and organizations from other human groupings in perhaps quite important ways.

Quote:
You and dlowan and Brooks have every right to argue that the rational trumps the irrational in each and every way. Hell, you may even be right, but it is a bit dicey to argue such a point irrationally.

That's not an argument I've ever made. It would be an absolutism, of course. Much of the human experience is pictured most 'accurately' through poetry, for example, not rational description.

My response is going to take some time. Be patient.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 05:02 pm
finn

Soytenlee.

george

Read more carefully, you big fat schmuck.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 06:30 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Small difference?

I assumed you would think consigning to hell and the promotion of disgusting discrimination in work opportunities etc. were of no import.

Shrugs.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 06:59 pm
Is discrimination in work opportunities really "disguisting"? Quite the contrary. I (and many others) do it all the time. I work hard to see to it that our folks discriminate adequately between the competent and incompetent, the alert, intelligent prospects and the complacent placeholders, the energetic, ambitious and creative and the self-satisfied followers. Discrimination is a necessary part of achievement in any field of endeavor - we may argue only about just what constitutes useful, suitable or acceptable criteria for such discrimination. Only the true believers in PC dogma blindly decry "discrimination" as though it were an objective evil in itself. I find it remarkable that an adherant of such mindless cant could find a position from which to look down on religion in all its forms.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:22 pm
Blatham,

I'm about a third of the way through Hofstadter's book. Nice read. We agree about many of his conclusions, particularly the pernicious influence of Dewey on American education. However I find the theoretical parts of his arguments rather contrived and full of semantical evasions. He defines "Intellectual" quite narrowly - doctors, lawyers, professors, engineers, even physicists are excluded unless they are focused on how society should be constructed and the "critical life of the mind" as he terms it. Who then is included? If we are down to the J.P. Sartre types, who wish to tell lesser mortals how to live and experience existence then I am an anti intellectual myself. He then moves on to numerous anecdotes about American society which implicitly call on a much broader definition of "intellectual".

I have yet to see an illustration of a society that is not anti intellectual as he defines it. Was the Soviet Union "anti-intellectual"? How about post revolutionary France? Canada for that matter? What does it mean to assert that the United States is anti intellectual in the absence of any general consideration of more or less universal human traits?

I'll suspend judgement on all of this until I have finished and had time to reflect on it. First impressions though are that his world view is remarkably similar to that of George Kennan (the former State Department luminary - whose four volume autobiography I have recently finished). Kennen also harbored a strong loathing of what he saw as American vulgarity and materialism, and though he abhored Stalinism, I suspect he had a certain fondness for the theoretical appeal of Communism (in the abstract) - a Platonic view of the world which I happen to find most abhorrent. With respect to Kennan at least, I believe his "intellectualism" was of a particularly sterile kind, one which well merits the scorn of ordinary minds engaged in real life.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:28 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Is discrimination in work opportunities really "disguisting"? Quite the contrary. I (and many others) do it all the time. I work hard to see to it that our folks discriminate adequately between the competent and incompetent, the alert, intelligent prospects and the complacent placeholders, the energetic, ambitious and creative and the self-satisfied followers. Discrimination is a necessary part of achievement in any field of endeavor - we may argue only about just what constitutes useful, suitable or acceptable criteria for such discrimination. Only the true believers in PC dogma blindly decry "discrimination" as though it were an objective evil in itself. I find it remarkable that an adherant of such mindless cant could find a position from which to look down on religion in all its forms.

Sigh.

Ok, to dot the i's and cross the t's, since it seems you are playing a game of feigned misunderstanding.

Discrimination, in the example I used (which you well knew, but hey) was on the basis of gender and sexual preference.

You approve of that?

So gays would make less efficient soldiers, or women be inferior ministers of religion?

Aha.

And, if you actually bothered to read, I look down mostly on rabid fundamentalists in religion.

Just as you look down on me. So?

Where exactly have your rabidly hated "liberals" advocated that christians and righties not be allowed to be ministers, or join the army, or that they will burn in hell?

You actually equate the excesses of fundamentalism with the views of those having different political views from you, who do not push any such baseless discrimination?

So, am I also not allowed to criticise fundamentalist Islam? Is it ok to call those who will not allow women to drive, or leave the country without male permission, or work etc loonies? Am I allowed to express my very dark views of a caste system which dooms millions to social exclusion?

Or am I only to to be sneered at by you for criticising as loonies those you do not also sneer at as loonies?

(Not to mention the hilarity of a sneerer of your impeccable credentials sneerring at anyone for sneering being laughable, but I digress)

I take it your sneering references to "liberals" will stop since you find the practice so reprehensible?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:39 am
george

When time allows, why not open a thread on the book. Anything you find particularly interesting or debatable we can slog about (just let me know the relevant passages and pages).

You frame a question above in a decidedly unproductive manner...to paraphrase, if America is an anti-intellectual locale/culture, then who the heck is not? Canada?

The more productive framing is...in what ways does America manifest this tendency, what might be the historical explanation for this, and what are the important consequences?

If you frame it as something like an arm-wrestling contest comparing America versus some other opponent, I don't think your reading will be well served. Cheerleaders probably don't make good historians.

I envy you the Kennan read. And yes, doesn't Hofstadter write well (and think well) on Dewey.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 01:40 pm
dlowan wrote:

Ok, to dot the i's and cross the t's, since it seems you are playing a game of feigned misunderstanding.

Discrimination, in the example I used (which you well knew, but hey) was on the basis of gender and sexual preference.

So gays would make less efficient soldiers, or women be inferior ministers of religion?

Aha.

I'm not fieigning anything - rather pointing out the flawed sweeping generalities you fling about so carelessly. I don't exclude the appropriateness of discrimination based on sex or sexual preference under certain circumstances. The real issue is what circumstances are appropriate for each. I believe jobs that put employees in positions of solo direction of young girls, for example, can appropriately be restricted to women. Same goes for boys and men - and perhaps with an exclusion for gays as well. I have a good deal of experience with the military - the Navy in my case. I don't think that knowingly putting large numbers of homosexual men in the crews of ships at sea is a good idea. It may work for some, but overall I believe it is a risk and a complication that is better kept out of an already crowded and stressful environment. Military operations are serious business and there seems little reason to use them as a social laboratory. You may think otherwise, but in this instance I would want to know just what are your qualifications for me accepting your opinion as worthy of attention.

Quote:
And, if you actually bothered to read, I look down mostly on rabid fundamentalists in religion.

Just as you look down on me. So?

I agree that your focus was mostly on "fundamentalists", however it seems to me that you should at least acknowledge that the general commentary on the thread, yours included, addressed religion rather indiscriminately.

I don't look down on you at all. I do believe you lask the stature to so sweepingly look down on those who practice various aspects of religion. That is what I said.

Quote:
Where exactly have your rabidly hated "liberals" advocated that christians and righties not be allowed to be ministers, or join the army, or that they will burn in hell?

You actually equate the excesses of fundamentalism with the views of those having different political views from you, who do not push any such baseless discrimination?

I don't "rabidly hate" liberals and I have never suggested that liberals would exclude folks like me from becoming ministers or joining the Army. Perhaps I miss your point here.

I don't know what are the "excesses of fundamentalism" to which you refer, but I do note the hypocricy in your sweeping condemnation of religious people who merely do the same thing with respect to other groups.

Quote:
So, am I also not allowed to criticise fundamentalist Islam? Is it ok to call those who will not allow women to drive, or leave the country without male permission, or work etc loonies? Am I allowed to express my very dark views of a caste system which dooms millions to social exclusion?

Criticize them all you wish and call them anything you want, but take care that you do not end up behaving just as those you criticize - only with a different set of loonies in mind.

Quote:
I take it your sneering references to "liberals" will stop since you find the practice so reprehensible?
I hope I am not guilty of such excesses and focus more on the ideas themselves than the people who advocate them. However I am sure that I have on occasion fallen into similar behavior. To that extent I acknowledge the fault.
0 Replies