Releasing Test Results

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 07:32 am
I was just put on Antithyroid meds and will have to monitor my progress on these drugs. I wanted to get a copy of my first test results to have in a folder, in case I end up going to another doctor (high possibility). I just called to have them faxed to me and the lady there said she couldn't send them until the doctor released them. Aren't they MY results? Why can't she release them to me, the patient?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 545 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:24 pm
bump
No one versed in medical law?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:27 pm
Only thing I can think is that the doc wants to look at them first to make sure all the correct tests were done, no errors, etc.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:35 pm
They were already discussed with me. I just want them for my records so if I should leave him, I have them to take with me and dont have to pay to have them released to another doctor.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:44 pm
Well then in that case that lady in the office is just some big old douche bag.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:52 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Well then in that case that lady in the office is just some big old douche bag.

Laughing You are probably right!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:16 pm
On the other hand, maybe she's doing exactly what she was told to do. My doctor will make copies of test while I'm in the office. He probably thinks he's good enough I don't want to go elsewhere. Not sure your doctor has the same level of confidence.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:27 pm
You are entitled to copies of your tests. Some doctors give a person a hard time, in the hope that he will go away. I had one that insisted on charging a dollar a page. Keep after him. It is YOUR information.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:30 pm
With the new privacy laws in effect, you may have to go on site to pick them up.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:56 pm
Hm. My other doctor had no problem sending them to me. Thanks guys!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:03 pm
They might insist on sending them to you by mail, or giving them to you in person. Each office has determined how they will comply with HIPAA regs. Some docs will still fax results but many no longer do so. You are entitled to your results, but you might not be able to get them by fax.
0 Replies