why 3 grand juries

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 11:19 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Hmm, I don't think Labor organizations are prohibited either; the article doesn't state that they are.

DrewDad brings up a good point, Tico, that all the other members of TRMPAC have been indicted (or many of them, at the least). There's no way that this would have happened without proof of some wrondoing; the only problem that Earle has been having is trying to link DeLay to all the actions of his subordinates.

DeLay was, naturally, careful about this; the bosses of crime organizations always try to set things up so that they personally cannot be linked to the crime. How is this surprising?

Cycloptichorn

This is what I predict: Earle is not going to have evidence to convict. In fact, it will develop that he has an embarrassing dearth of evidence that tends to indicate DeLay is guilty of any criminal wrongdoing, and DeLay will be acquitted. But Earle will have caused damage to a political foe by obtaining the indictments, and forcing DeLay to step down from his leadership role.

And remember my good point: You can indict a ham sandwich.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 11:27 am
We'll see, we'll see. I predict that DeLay ends up cutting a deal.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 12:05 pm
Corporations and all others can contribute to administrative costs. That is the crux of this case. The corporate contributions were washed by the national Replicans and sent back supposedly as hard money.

The problem comes in the check was sent with a list of like kind contributions that were to go to candidates. Even a child should be able to understand if I give you $10 and tell you to send $10 of your money to Joe Blow claiming you gave it to him I am attempting to hide that the money came from me. It is illegal for individuals to reimburse campaign contributions or to force people to contribute to someone. Why should PACS be allowed to do such a thing?

Tico, you can indict a ham sandwich but you can't get juries and judges to give monetary awards or rulings that a case has merit if it is a ham sandwich. The charges (prior to Delay being indicted) have been tested several times in court and not thrown out yet.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 12:26 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
What I'm saying is that based on everything I'm aware of, Earle's pursuit of DeLay demonstrates a bias, and a lack of restraint and good prosecutorial judgment. The cases against the Republican PACs may be good cases, in which case the indictments are proper. My next question is when will he begin his investigation of the Democratic PAC contributions?

So far you have not shown yourself to be aware of much other than the DeLay talking points.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 07:20 pm
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9623710/

Quote:

DeGuerin alleged that Earle unlawfully participated in grand jury deliberations when he went to a second grand jury last week to seek a second indictment against the Texas Republican. He also said Earle illegally discussed grand jury information and encouraged others to do the same.

DeGuerin alleged that Earle turned to the coercion tactics to get the second grand jury to change its decision not to indict DeLay so there would be no public record of a rejection.

DeGuerin said the indictment forced DeLay to step down from his job as majority leader, the No. 2 position in the House, for a crime that did not exist in Texas law.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 03:39 am
DrewDad,
A question for you.
I dont live in Texas,and I dont know Earle or his style,but two things do strike me as questionable.

Why is he allowing a movie crew to follow him around,including into the room where discussions about this case are held?
That doesnt seem right or fair at all.

Also,why did he indict several large corporations,then drop the indictments against 4 of them AFTER they contributed six figure amounts to his pet cause about getting corporate money out of politics?

That almost sounds like extortion to me.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 04:50 am
mysteryman wrote:
DrewDad,
A question for you.
I dont live in Texas,and I dont know Earle or his style,but two things do strike me as questionable.

Why is he allowing a movie crew to follow him around,including into the room where discussions about this case are held?

Also,why did he indict several large corporations,then drop the indictments against 4 of them AFTER they contributed six figure amounts to his pet cause about getting corporate money out of politics?

"Those whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 05:21 am
Obviously, DeLay is innocent like a newborne and Earle should be lynched at onced.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 05:49 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Obviously, DeLay is innocent like a newborne and Earle should be lynched at onced.

That's about the way I see it.

Look at a few oif the things which Delay is clearly innocent of:

He hasn't sold any H bomb secrets to the chicoms for campaign cash (Chinagate)
He hasn't sealed off any trillion dollar national assets for the benefit of foreign national interests and for campaign cash (Grand Staircase)
He hasn't conducted any sort of a fire sale on presidential pardons.
He hasn't given FALN terrorists any sort of a "get out of jail free" pass to buy votes for his wife.
He hasn't appointed any sort of a psychopath like Janet Reno to be attorney general of Texas.
You don't read about his associates dying under mysterious circumstances every time you turn around...

I mean, all this crap and a whole lot more you read about the KKKlintons and nobody's ever been indicted on account of it and one assumes that's because republicans figure they'd rather beat those people at the polls than try to win the questionable game of trying to out-indict the other guy.

Dems are skating on REAL thin ice here in my estimation.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 09:30 pm
Apparently these indictments were needed before the statute of limitations ran out.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:41 am
mysteryman wrote:
DrewDad,
A question for you.

Link, please.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:51 am
I found the info on the film, all being reorted by the usual right-wing propaganda sources. This is a tempest in a teapot, there is no there there. It is refreshing, in contrast to the Bush Crime Family's need for secrecy, that Earle would let the sun shine in on the process.

I could not see any evidence that Earle did anything untoward or unfair, just spin and propaganda from freepers.
0 Replies