My kind of town, Chicago is...

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 02:48 pm
@JPB,
Just give me enough lead time so I'll be around and available.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 03:07 pm
@joefromchicago,
We're in May in Chicago.

But only for about 90 minutes Wink
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 12:28 pm
Jon Stewart and John Oliver of the Daily Show report on Rahm Emanuel:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-january-25-2011/chicago-snubs
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 05:42 pm
@wandeljw,
The IL Supreme Court put him back on the ballot! 5:21 CT - NY Times
wandeljw

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 06:23 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yes, they overwhelmingly reversed the lower court decision 7-0. The ballots have now started printing with Rahm Emanuel included.

The Daily Show clip about the temporary setback was hilarious, though.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 06:28 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Yes, they overwhelmingly reversed the lower court decision 7-0
I was reading an opinion that the lower court ruling was shoddy in every way...NOT what my home state of Illinois needed right now, as it is on everyones list of top three dysfunctional states. Even in the 80's we knew this, what with the constant skirmishes between Chicago and the rest of the state and then the subsequent patch jobs that never quite seemed to fix what ever the real problem was, but it has gotten so much worse over the years...
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:14 pm
Quote of the day in Chicago's race for mayor:
"The reason you don't know where I have been in the last 20 years is because you were strung out on crack."
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 11:42 pm
@realjohnboy,
bookmark Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 05:27 am
@wandeljw,

Not available to view in Britain. Sad
wandeljw

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 06:17 am
@McTag,
I have noticed that some video clips are blocked in the UK and Australia. It is too bad because the above clip had a lot of funny jokes about Chicago.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 11:47 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Yes, they overwhelmingly reversed the lower court decision 7-0
I was reading an opinion that the lower court ruling was shoddy in every way...NOT what my home state of Illinois needed right now, as it is on everyones list of top three dysfunctional states. Even in the 80's we knew this, what with the constant skirmishes between Chicago and the rest of the state and then the subsequent patch jobs that never quite seemed to fix what ever the real problem was, but it has gotten so much worse over the years...

I never realized how bad things had gotten in Illinois until I had to order a death certificate . It took close to 3 months to get it. I called Springfield about 5 years ago and asked why it took so long. They told me that they hadn't transfered the death certificates to their computers. In the long run, it would have been easier for me to fly to Illinois and get a death certificate in person.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 11:48 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Quote of the day in Chicago's race for mayor:
"The reason you don't know where I have been in the last 20 years is because you were strung out on crack."

Crack or no crack, each and every vote counts...in Chicago.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 04:51 pm
This tv ad for Transformers 3 shows how some of the Chicago locations were used.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 08:52 pm
They have this new show "The Chicago Code" on TV, it's quite intense
and really a good show. Has anyone seen it?

http://www.fox.com/chicagocode/
wandeljw

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 09:28 am
@CalamityJane,
Chicago Code looks like a very good drama, CJane. Actress Jennifer Beals grew up in Chicago.

The last project that Patrick Swayze worked on was a cable tv series called The Beast. I saw some of the filming of that show here in Chicago.

The 1960's Lee Marvin tv series, M Squad, also took place in Chicago, but very little of the filming was actually done in Chicago.

On the other hand, those are actual Chicago streets in Jennifer Beals' show.
JPB

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 09:30 am
@CalamityJane,
Thanks for the link. I'm watching the pilot now.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 10:20 am
@JPB,
JPB, it's aired Mondays right after "House" - I really like that show!
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 10:23 am
@wandeljw,
We've had a few movies and shows filmed in our part of town here, but it's
such a nuisance really. Entire streets are blocked off and no parking everywhere around town.
wandeljw

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 10:48 am
@CalamityJane,
Whenever I do stop to watch filming in Chicago, it turns out to be boring. A lot of time is used to set up lighting and cameras.

Once I saw Bruce Willis step out on the street shooting a gun in the air. The extras were screaming on cue, but the whole thing looked comical rather than scary.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 12:00 pm
@CalamityJane,
My daughter and her friends all watch House religiously. I liked the pilot of Chicago Code. The next two episodes are there too. I'll keep watching. Thanks.
0 Replies