Rahm's Gonna Try to Succeed Daley

sozobe

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:01 am
My first response: "****." Maybe it's an opportunity too though. (I'm thinking in Obama administration terms, not Chicago terms. I think Rahm could be a good mayor though.)

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/30/emanuel-to-depart-white-house-for-chicago-mayoral-bid/

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,966 • Replies: 19
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:10 am
@sozobe,
to be replaced by Pete Rouse in the White House.
sozobe

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:22 am
@dyslexia,
Yep.

Do you know anything about Rouse?

I don't know much more than what was in the article, yet. (Busy so I haven't yet gotten to blogs and such which will probably have plenty about him...)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:25 am
@dyslexia,
Pete Rouse
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Peter M. Rouse (born 1946) is Senior Adviser to U.S. President Barack Obama, having served as a co-chairman of the Obama-Biden Transition Project.

Rouse had been chief of staff to South Dakota Senator Tom Daschle, the former majority leader, and was planning to retire after Daschle lost in 2004. However, still in 2004, Rouse was contacted by a law school friend of Obama's and chose to work for Obama as his Senate chief of staff.

On September 28, 2010, Rouse became the favorite replacement to the departing White House Chief of Staff, Rahm Emanuel.

Biography

Overall, Rouse has worked on Capitol Hill for more than 30 years, since 1971. According to Amy Sullivan (Washington Monthly), Rouse came to be known as "the 101st Senator" thanks to his knowledge and skills.

He is a 1968 graduate of Colby College, a graduate of the London School of Economics, and is a 1977 graduate of the Harvard Kennedy School, where he received a Master of Public Administration.

Rouse helped prepare a memo, "The Strategic Plan," for Obama's first year in the Senate. Helping Obama navigate Senate politics and yet remain an outsider, Rouse worked with Obama and Senator Russell Feingold on strengthening ethics reform legislation. Similarly, he suggested that Obama speak with Senators Edward M. Kennedy and Joseph I. Lieberman in the early stages of exploring his presidential candidacy. Rouse also is credited with persuading Obama to vote against the nomination of John G. Roberts, Jr., who is now Chief Justice of the United States (Bacon 2007).

As with all congressional staff, Rouse's compensation is public information. He has received salary payments above $140,000 during his years with Senator Obama.

On October 15, 2001, Rouse was the Daschle staffperson to call the police about a letter that tested positive for anthrax powder (Boyer 2001) Twenty of Daschle's staff subsequently tested positive for exposure to anthrax spores; it is not known if Rouse was exposed along with his workmates.

Rouse had worked since 1985 for Daschle, whom he met as a fellow legislative assistant for Senator James Abourezk (D-SD).

Role as Senior Adviser

Rouse is one of three White House officials with the title Senior Adviser to the President, along with David Axelrod and Valerie Jarrett. In an interview, Rouse said that he "basically does the inside, organizational stuff and strategic stuff internally," adding that he had no desire to be the "outside person" but preferred to leave external relations to Axelrod, Jarrett and Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel. Rouse said the Deputy Chiefs of Staff, Jim Messina and Mona Sutphen, "who run the place from day to day," report to him. Asked about his overall portfolio, he said "I fix things." He described himself as one of several problem fixers in a collaborative environment.

The Rolling Stone described Rouse as a low profile, calm and legislatively connected manager, quoting one "top Democratic strategist" as saying that "Rouse's the one who brought 'no drama' to Obama. His enforcement makes it work."

In September 2009, the Washington Post reported that Rouse was heading the White House's efforts to close the Guantanamo Bay prison.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:27 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
In September 2009, the Washington Post reported that Rouse was heading the White House's efforts to close the Guantanamo Bay prison.
that worked out well.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:36 am
@sozobe,
I don't think I'd vote for him as mayor - he's too political for my tastes. It would depend on who he was running against, of course. Fortunately, I don't vote in Chicago elections so my opinion is moot.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:30 am
I have mixed emotions about this. I'm glad that Emmanuel is leaving the White House, where he was the loudest voice for defeatism and caving in to the intransigent Republicans, thus derailing any sort of impulse the Obama administration may have had to move in a progressive direction. On the other hand, he's coming back here. Maybe he can fix the potholes by yelling at them.
JPB

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:32 am
@joefromchicago,
Yeah, I guess I see him more as a professional politician than a public servant.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:39 am
Rahm Emmanuel went to high school with my sister. I am still hoping that Ditka will be persuaded to run.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 09:36 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Maybe he can fix the potholes by yelling at them.

Laughing

Ditka? He was a good football coach, but why are you thinking he'd be a good mayor, wandel? (He might be even better at yelling at the potholes, but beyond that...?)
djjd62

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 10:02 am
Rahm's Gonna Try to Succeed Daley

really, one day at a time is the best recipe for success

by the way, you spelled daily wrong Razz
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 10:42 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Ditka? He was a good football coach, but why are you thinking he'd be a good mayor, wandel?

I am not being serious. However, in 2004, Ditka was almost persuaded to run as U.S. Senator for Illinois when the Republican nominee was forced out because of a divorce scandal.

(Anway, Ditka's manner of speaking is similar to both Daley Sr. and Jr.)
sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 10:44 am
@wandeljw,
A-ha! That makes more sense.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 03:07 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

I have mixed emotions about this. I'm glad that Emmanuel is leaving the White House, where he was the loudest voice for defeatism and caving in to the intransigent Republicans, thus derailing any sort of impulse the Obama administration may have had to move in a progressive direction. On the other hand, he's coming back here. Maybe he can fix the potholes by yelling at them.

Joe said what I was going to say. I think the Obama administration and President Obama will be much better served without Rahm. Peter has been and will be a definite asset to the administration.

In the book I'm currently reading, The Bridge by David Remnick, there are quite a few pages written about Peter Rouse's involvement. He was Obama's first choice for his chief of staff of his senate office. Here are some summaries:

"When he was chief of staff for Daschle, Rouse was so influential in the Senate that he was known around the Capitol as "the hundred-and-first senator."

"Obama asked Rouse to help him assemble a staff that was made up of both Washington insiders and independent experts who could bring some intellectual heft to the office...He told his staff that he would rather have 'some extraordinary people for a shorter time than ordinary people for a long time.'"

Rouse is the architect of "The Plan" that guided Obama through his first couple of introductory years in the Senate and would prepare him for a presidential run in 2016. In 2006, he is the one that foresaw the perfect storm of events that would allow Obama to move up the time frame to 2008.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 03:33 pm
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/42994.html#ixzz117ftUFH0
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 03:51 pm
Rouse is owned by 2 cats.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 07:07 am
I don't know anything about the guy picked to take Rahm's place, but like others have expressed, I am glad Rahm is going. In fact I wish a lot of the "Clinton Crowd" would leave the administration.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 08:14 am
@joefromchicago,
Hey, joe.... what are your thoughts on the residency requirements for a mayoral candidate? Rahm's people are saying it won't be an issue, but... why shouldn't it be an issue?
JPB

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 08:34 am
@JPB,
Here's the context for my question to joe

Quote:
Rahm Emanuel's eligibility to run for mayor of Chicago has become the subject of scrutiny, even before the soon-to-be-former White House Chief of Staff officially announces his candidacy.

At issue is Emanuel's residency. Illinois election laws dictate that a candidate is only eligible to run for city office if he or she has been a legal resident of that city for a year prior to the election. For the Chicago mayoral election, this means Emanuel would need to have been a Chicago resident since February 22, 2010.

Critics say that because he decided to lease his North Chicago home last year, Emanuel forfeited his Chicago residency and thus can't run.

In an ironic twist, Mayor Richard Daley announced he would not seek reelection, thus opening the door for a possible Emanuel run, just days after the couple to whom Emanuel rented his house reportedly renewed their lease. And the couple apparently refuses to terminate their lease early to allow Emanuel to move back in.

Election attorney Burt Odelson told Chicago radio show hosts Thursday that "the law is clear" in this case. "He rented his house out in September ‘09 and has not been back since, and has no residency in Chicago," Odelson said on WLS's Roe Conn Show. Odelson reportedly has ties to two probable Emanuel opponents in the mayoral race: state Senator James Meeks, a prominent pastor in the city's black community, and Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart.

Indeed, had Emanuel sold his Chicago home and registered to vote in Washington, he would be ineligible to run for mayor. But that's not the case. Emanuel is still registered to vote under his Chicago address, and in fact voted absentee in the February 2 Illinois Democratic primary.

Board of Elections spokesman Jim Allen likened Emanuel's situation to a soldier serving abroad. Military servicemen don't forfeit the right to vote in their home state just because they're not home to vote. Emanuel moved to Washington to serve under President Obama in a position that is intrinsically temporary, and so he is equally entitled to vote-and run for office-in his hometown.

Read more: http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/10/01/birthers-chicago-style-some-question-rahms-residency#ixzz11DDICGID
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 09:02 am
@JPB,
I agree with the board of elections guy -- Emmanuel is like a soldier or a college student who is away from home for an extended period of time but who nevertheless maintains an address and intends to return. He owns property in the city, he votes in the elections here. He's as much a resident as Barack Obama (who probably has no intention of returning to Chicago after his term ends).

The people who are most vocal about questioning Emmanuel's residency are affiliated with rivals' campaigns, so there will likely be a formal challenge. The elections board, however, doesn't have a strong track record for knocking candidates off the ballot because of residency challenges. If Alan Keyes can establish residency in Illinois for his senate campaign, I don't see any problems for Rahm Emmanuel in his quest for the Chicago mayor's office.
0 Replies