Mayor Daley Not to Run Again

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 07:42 pm
What? The mayor for life decides to quit? What's going on here?

roger

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 08:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Is he under indictment for something?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 08:40 pm
I forgot to get a link -
Perhaps the very definition of a strong mayor with almost absolute command, Mr. Daley leaves no apparent political heirs. He was widely expected to seek a seventh term without serious opposition. Few have been willing to challenge him. But now that he is stepping down, some political experts expect to see a flood of contenders.

In the recent past, several potentially strong candidates have said they would be interested in running for mayor should Mr. Daley decide not to. “One day I would like to run for mayor of the City of Chicago,” Mr. Emanuel, a former mayoral campaign aide, said during an April interview on “The Charlie Rose Show.”

Thomas J. Dart, the Cook County sheriff, is also a possible candidate.

Representative Jesse L. Jackson Jr., who serves the South Side of Chicago and its suburbs, is known to have his eye on the post-Daley era of city politics, though Mr. Jackson has remained largely quiet since becoming entangled in the corruption trial of former Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich.

Mr. Jackson did issue a statement on Tuesday. He said Mr. Daley was leaving the city in poor fiscal shape. “Regarding potential successors, I expect there will be numerous candidates, but only a few can mount a serious bid for mayor,” Mr. Jackson said, not noting whether he would. Other possible contenders have said they were biding their time.

“I can’t remember the last time we had a truly open seat like this,” said State Representative John Fritchey, a Democrat who said he was considering whether to run. “Right now, not knowing who’s running, it’s difficult to make the determination.”

Mr. Daley said at his news conference that although the news media and others might seek some hidden reason for his decision not to run, there was none.

“In the end, this is a personal decision,” he said. “No more, no less.”

Chicagoans in political circles said they believed him.

Mr. Daley’s wife, Maggie, has been suffering from breast cancer since 2002. She is a well-known and respected figure here, having done much to help beautify the city.

“In the end, family trumped politics, and we shouldn’t be surprised, because that’s who he is," said Andy Shaw, executive director of the Better Government Association, a local watchdog group.

"I think he visualized a tough re-election campaign interrupted frequently and unexpectedly by new complications in his wife’s cancer fight, and that’s a scenario he wanted to avoid," he added.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 09:55 pm
@roger,
He was polling pretty low. Close to 30% I think.
roger

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 10:21 pm
@Irishk,
That would be 30% of voters. Counters are what counts in Chicago.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 08:30 am
@roger,
If Obama decides not to run for a second term, do you think he would want to be mayor of Chicago?

BBB
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 09:24 am
@edgarblythe,
No wonder JoefromChicago changed his avatar. Sorry, edgar, I know nothing about politics but couldn't resist that comment. Smile

http://www.chicagoclout.com/weblog/archives/Mayor%20Daley%20crook.jpg
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 09:47 am
Daley's poll numbers were, for a variety of reasons, in the toilet. But he still would have won handily if he had decided to run for reelection in February. That's because there's no organized political opposition in Chicago, and so no one who is an obvious candidate to replace him. Now, with the wicked witch dead, we have a bunch of midgets running around thinking that they should be mayor of Munchkinland.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:7zV1tJmbOQo7EM:http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj370/blueberry62/Wizard-of-Oz-w16munchkinland.jpg&t=1
This is what happens when the king doesn't insure an orderly line of succession.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 09:53 am
@joefromchicago,
The solution is obvious: Ditka should be our mayor!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 01:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

What? The mayor for life decides to quit? What's going on here?

Mrs Daley is in poor health and I suspect that his son just might be a potential candidate. Remember, the son joined the Marine corp...so it's no Mama's ass.

Good for Daley...Good for all the Daleys....Good for the SouthSide! Razz
Miller

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 01:03 pm
@Miller,
http://able2know.org/topic/161082-1
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 07:30 am
Richard M. Daley's announcement that he won't seek reelection creates an opening for a post long sought by White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel. For now, Emanuel is not discussing his plans.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 11:18 am
@joefromchicago,
As current Treasurer of the Lollipop Guild, I resent your metaphor.
Gargamel

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 11:20 am
The Lollipop Guild will end the **** out of Chicago's rampant police brutality.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 12:07 pm
@Gargamel,
I've said it before and I'll say it again: you are one angry pre-sweetened children's fruit drink mix. OH YEAH!
0 Replies