My kind of town, Chicago is...

wandeljw

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 10:53 am
@JPB,
That would be great if your husband joined us!

By the way, next weekend Oak Park will have its Octoberfest. I remember that one year you and your husband went.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 11:12 am
@wandeljw,
joe took us to an octoberfest when Walter and I were in Chicago. That was a real treat.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 04:06 pm
Lunch gathering tomorrow! Don't pack your brown bags in the morning.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 04:09 pm
@JPB,
okay, i would have packed a turkey sandwich, anyway
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 10:01 pm
**** everybody, I don't think I'll make it. I've been chained to my desk this week preparing for a conference we're hosting next week--that's right, our 16th annual Mortgage Banking conference. What a party.

Anyway I've been invited to about 37 meetings for tomorrow since I RSVPd for lunch. Sorry to bail on you.
JPB

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 08:37 am
@Gargamel,
Booooooooooooooooooo

Ok, ok. They pay you and we don't. You gotta do what you gotta do, but we'll miss you.

NEXT TIME, DAMMIT!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2011 07:01 pm
The city of Chicago plays the city of Metropolis in the new Superman movie. The Chicago area location filming wrapped up last weekend.

wandeljw

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 06:57 am
President Obama sings Sweet Home Chicago.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 12:59 pm
It's 76 degrees out and sunny. The peepers are peeping and the phoebes are singing. I saw crocuses in bloom today. Amazing for mid-March!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 01:16 pm
@wandeljw,
I know that area very well with Miro's sculpture. Mr. Green
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 03:52 pm
Cubs had a frustrating end to their home opener today. Maybe Sublime or Joefromchicago can give us a report.
farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 03:54 pm
@wandeljw,
whats to report

GAme was 3 to 2

who won?

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 04:00 pm
@wandeljw,
brrrrrrrrrrrr

They would've froze out there.

Typical home opener. At least it didn't rain.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 08:07 am
http://static03.mediaite.com/sportsgrid/uploads/2012/04/bill-murray.jpg

As he has done many times before, actor Bill Murray threw the first pitch at the Cubs home opener. As the Cubs have done many times before, they lost their home opener. Sports commentators could not resist comparing this to the movie "Groundhog's Day."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 08:09 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Cubs had a frustrating end to their home opener today. Maybe Sublime or Joefromchicago can give us a report.

I had to go to court yesterday. I had a better day than the Cubs.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 08:14 am
@joefromchicago,
.... and you probably had a tougher opponent than the Washington Nationals Smile
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 09:19 am
Bill Murray at the Cubs home opener:

0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 10:12 am
I found this on the WBEZ Radio website about Sammy Sosa's Hall of Fame chances:

Quote:
This is his first year on the ballot and there appears to be no support for the former Cub slugger. Sosa finished his baseball career with 609 home runs (three seasons with 60 or more) and is eighth on the all-time list for that statistic. In the past few years, the players that are considered tainted by the steroids have been filtering into the list of possible candidates—none have made it. This year the list is peppered with several that have been implicated or are considered likely users of the performance enhancing drugs which includes the former Cub right fielder. In 2009, the New York Times reported that Sosa had a positive test in 2003. There was never an admission by him to confirm he had taken any drugs to help the Cub slugger become one of baseball's prolific home run hitters of his era—there were strong physical indicators he likely did. Couple the change of his body with his performance in front of Congress in 2005—remember he forgot he knew English, therefore sidestepping all questions—the conclusion by the media was Sosa "juiced".
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 01:35 pm
Very interesting PBS broadcast on biking the grand boulevards between the parks of the south, west, and north sides of Chicago. The architecture and history of the neighborhoods are highlighted.

http://www.wttw.com/main.taf?p=74,6
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 06:05 pm
@JPB,
Thanks, JPB, for the link to that program.
Chicago is a city that has been blessed with some of the most amazing architecture; due in no small part to the diversity of its population over the years.