My kind of town, Chicago is...

George

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 10:36 am
@wandeljw,
Don't give it away just yet, though . . .
wandeljw

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 10:42 am
@George,
Good one, George!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 01:49 pm
Rahm is out according to the appellate court!

Quote:
An Illinois appellate court on Monday threw former White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel off the ballot for Chicago mayor because he didn't live in the city in the year before the election.

The decision put Emanuel's candidacy into doubt a month before the election. He had been considered the front-runner and had raised more money than any other candidate.

The court voted 2-1 to overturn a judge's ruling to keep Emanuel's name on the Feb. 22 ballot.

snip

Emanuel's lawyer said he is hopeful the state Supreme Court will take up the case, especially since the appeals court decision was not unanimous.

"I think the fact that there's a dispute within the appellate court certainly makes the case more enticing to the Supreme Court, but I don't speak for them," lawyer Mike Kasper said. Source
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 04:37 pm
@JPB,
Quite a shocker.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 04:40 pm
@joefromchicago,
Hi joe, Anything interesting going on in the windy city this spring or summer?
JPB

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 04:42 pm
@joefromchicago,
I imagine there's some smiling going on in the south and west sides.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 04:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Hi joe, Anything interesting going on in the windy city this spring or summer?

There's always something interesting going on in Chicago. Planning a visit?
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 04:45 pm
This is a bit of shock to me and will go next to the IL Supreme Court. But they have to hurry as the primary is a month away with early voting starting sooner.
It does not seem to me unusual to have people take temporary jobs out of state. They keep their home state's drivers license; they pay state income tax and, in the case of Rahm, own a home.
I have no dog in this fight, by the way.
JPB

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 04:48 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yeah, my personal opinion is that it should count the same as military service. Serving in a public service capacity, while paying taxes locally shouldn't preclude him from running for mayor. But, it's not up to me (and, I'm not a Rahm Emanuel fan).
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 08:42 pm
@joefromchicago,
joe, do you have any thoughts on whether or not the IL Supreme Court will agree to hear the case?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 08:45 pm
@joefromchicago,
When would be a good time for a visit? I'm open except for May.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 09:27 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

joe, do you have any thoughts on whether or not the IL Supreme Court will agree to hear the case?

I think there's about a 99% chance that the Illinois Supreme Court will hear the case on an expedited basis. As I understand it, the appellate court did not indicate that the opinion could be subject to an expedited appeal (which is somewhat odd in this circumstance), but Emmanuel's lawyers are planning on filing a petition for an injunction, so that will move things along at a brisk pace.

I haven't read the opinion, but, as I understand it, the majority distinguished between the residency qualifications for a voter and those of a candidate. The majority concluded that Emmanuel is qualified to vote in the mayoral election, he just can't run in it.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 09:29 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Any time is good. Coordinate it with the Cubs schedule and I'm sure I can get tickets to a game (unless the Cubs are playing the White Sox or the Yankees).
wandeljw

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 10:05 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

Any time is good. Coordinate it with the Cubs schedule and I'm sure I can get tickets to a game (unless the Cubs are playing the White Sox or the Yankees).

I would be happy to join you guys!
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 10:24 am
@wandeljw,
I said Cubs game, not Sox game.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 12:46 pm
@joefromchicago,
I'll even go to a Cubs game. This time I will pay you for the ticket in advance. As you know, it took me about 5 years to pay JPB for the Cubs ticket she got for me.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 12:53 pm
@wandeljw,
5 years? I'm sure JPB wrote it off long before then. LOL

I'm waiting for JPB to visit Northern California to show her around this part of the world. he he he....
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 01:11 pm
@joefromchicago,
joe & wandel, Looking at the Cub's schedule, and will decide later on. Thanks for the offer to getting the tickets. I want to visit the French restaurant who's owned by a guy my wife and I met in Philly. It's located on Broadway, and named after a wine. T.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 01:59 pm
@joefromchicago,
And you were right.

Quote:
CHICAGO – Illinois' highest court agreed Tuesday to take Rahm Emanuel's appeal of a decision that threw him off the ballot for Chicago mayor and ordered election officials not to print any mayoral ballots without Emanuel's name.

State Supreme Court justices agreed to expedite the case, but they gave no specific time frame. They planned to review legal briefs only and would not hold oral arguments.

Emanuel has asked the court to overturn a lower ruling that pulled his name off the ballot because he had not lived in the city for a year. His attorneys called Monday's decision "squarely inconsistent" with previous rulings on the issue. Source
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 02:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That would be wonderful, ci. I haven't been anywhere other than New Orleans since.... a very long time.