2010 Chicago Marathon

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 08:25 pm
I know we have a bunch of posters from Chicago here on A2K. I currently plan to visit Chicago for the 2010 Chicago Marathon on October. I'm not running in the event, but I'll be there in support of others. Perhaps, I can finally meet some of you!

Too far to run...
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,314 • Replies: 8
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 08:28 pm
I'll be running the 2010 Marathon...my brother's flying out from Seattle to run it too. His 1st, my 2nd.

It'd be cool to meet and get lunch/beer or something.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 08:39 pm
When in October?
maporsche

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 08:39 pm
@realjohnboy,
10.10.10 is race day.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:04 pm
@maporsche,
hmm. I attended an A2K gathering in Chicago a few years ago. The Chicago gang plus others from Milw and even NM plus me from VA. It was my 1st A2K meet-up.
As you know, MaP, from the sports games, I am a chronic organizer.
I would really enjoy meeting you. We disagree, perhaps, politically, but I admire your thoughtfulness. And Diest, I like that you have, over the last year or two, tempered your writing a bit.
Forgive me for stepping on your thread re the marathon. Would you mind if a sent up a trial balloon about an A2K meet in Chicago that would occur over that same weekend, consisting of, perhaps, one get-together for dinner?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:09 pm
I think this thread was more about a trip to Chicago than it was the marathon RJB..so no worries (unless you think it'd be more clear for other people to find the thread...then I'd agree).

And I don't think we'd disagree as much as it may appear from my posts on this site (some things, sure) but from what I've read of your stuff, I remember agreeing with most of it (usually to varying degrees though). I'm just usually not the type of poster who will post things like "I agree." unless I have something to add.

It would be very cool to meet you chaps. Please feel free to organize away, I'm much more of a 'let me know what's going on' type of guy.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:10 pm
Oh, but guys, be careful. There will probably be a few handguns in Chicago if the USSC overturns the ban in the next few months. The place is going to turn into a warzone; I'm thinking a lot like Iraq.

Laughing - sorry, I probably shouldn't have gone there.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:33 pm
RJB - You and I haven't conversed much here on A2K. I read many of your posts and we are both in Virginia. My posts are more tempered. This comes from a number of things. The first, perhaps unrelated, is that I switched to a browser with a spellcheck. I still type like ****, and often misspell things, but I imagine it makes my posts about 100% more tolerable. Ha! Other than that, I'd say I still spit venom with the best of them (or the worst...). I also think graduating and coming to DC has offered me a lot of real life experience to help me articulate my feelings and thoughts on many topics. I've just been so fortunate to meet so many fascinating people.

Meet people is good and that is the point of the thread. So if you'd like to start a Chicago A2K meet-up thread, I think migrating the conversation there might be the best way for others to join in.

Map - Cool. Drinks it is, but let's not mess up your training regiment. Well save the booze for after the race... after you've rehydrated of course. Good luck on your training by the way. Maybe this thread can stay active and you can share your process. My girlfriend is an endurence athlete and I keep meeting more and more of them through her. They keep encouraging me to start running. Perhaps you can share your experience?

T
Keep your shoes tied tight!
O
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:34 pm
I might start working on the notion of a meet in Chicago. If I do, I will start new thread. Amusingly, I laid the groundwork for the one in Albuquerque a few years ago...all the way from VA. That was a battle, mostly involving the setting of a date. We couldn't pick one that worked for everyone and, when I had to finally decree what it would be, I bruised some egos.
This one, 10-10-10, is a piece of cake. No option.
I assure you that, in the various gatherings I have been to, politics etc is off the table.

Back to the Chicago marathon. A full marathon? My niece and her husband are into the "50 by 50" thing. They are on target to run a full marathon in all 50 states by the age of 50. I don't know if they have IL yet. They budget 5 a year.
0 Replies