My kind of town, Chicago is...

maporsche

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:17 am
@JPB,
Yeah, I'm looking forward to meeting some folk as well. Unless something happens at work, I should be in town that weekend.
JPB

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:38 am
@maporsche,
me you too, map.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 09:57 am
@JPB,
JPB, Sounds good to me! I always enjoy those architectural tours. I've probably seen most of the important sites and museums of Chicago, and your taking us to the Chicago Botanical Garden on our last Chicago meet just about completes the whole package!~ joe and I will also be going to the Art Institute, so anyone wishing to join us for that outing are welcome.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 10:00 am
@joefromchicago,
This from the link won me over!
Quote:
Jägerschnitzel (pork schnitzel with a brown mushroom gravy), bratwurst, and knackwurst.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 10:08 am
@cicerone imposter,
I'm always up for a good schnitzel.
Izzie

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 11:06 pm
@joefromchicago,
Yep ci " hoping to do the Arch... not sure how long we’re going to be able to spend there but whatever we do, it will be an experience and with some great company.

Joe " love fish and chips!

Hey Mac " not sure yet if or when we will get to Houston. My niece may come up to Dallas to visit " it’s her wedding shower this weekend so we have to see what plans she has after that. Will give you a bell if we come down that way. " would love to see you Very Happy

Happy to be Stateside....... lovin' it.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 07:26 am
Quote:
Cops warn of beatings, holdups in Lincoln Park
August 3, 2009 7:09 AM

A group of attackers are preying on men in their 20s walking alone after dusk in Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood, police said.

The robbers aren't armed but they beat their victims with their fists. At least one of four men recently attacked was taken to the hospital with a broken jaw, police said.

"The first (victims) see is the fist that hits them," Chicago Police Sgt. Timothy Kusinski said Sunday. "It's a very surprise attack."

The motive is robbery, and the attackers have stolen the victims' wallets and cell phones, Kusinski said.

The incidents happened at 2 a.m. Thursday in the 600 block of West Fullerton Avenue; at 2:05 a.m. Thursday in the 2100 block of North Stockton Drive; at 3 a.m. Saturday in the 2000 block of North Cleveland Avenue; and at 3:36 a.m. Saturday in the 300 block of West Webster Avenue, police said.

The attackers -- police said they believe the incidents are connected -- have been described as men in their early 20s, police said. They haven't used any weapons other than their fists, and the injuries they've caused include facial fractures and head and throat trauma, Kusinski said.

The one man who remains hospitalized suffered a broken jaw and throat injuries in the 2100 block of North Stockton Avenue, Kusinski said. The man is in stable condition, Kusinski said, declining to say where the man is receiving care.

Of the attacks, one man was beat up and robbed only by one other man, but the other three incidents involved a group of three to four men pouncing on a man who was by himself, Kusinski said. A victim in one incident thought the attackers fled the scene in an older model small maroon car, police said.

A few of the victims were coming home from bars, but Kusinski said he couldn't say if they had been drinking.

The robberies happened in a densely populated area near Lincoln Park Zoo, where on Sunday afternoon families were pushing babies in strollers, runners were enjoying a jog and young women masked their bikini tops with sundresses on their way home from a day at the beach.

Zach Bornemeier, 28, who lives a few blocks west of the zoo, had just finished a cell phone call with family when he learned his lakefront community might not be that safe. It didn't faze him. He still plans to jog alone late at night along Stockton Drive.

"It just sounds like to me just one group of punks," Bornemeier said, adding that he's not going to let a "few bad seeds" change his lifestyle.

But Casey Fictum, 21, a senior at DePaul University who hails from Green Bay, said he would heed advice from police: Travel in groups.

"Plus, when you're drinking, people can beat the living crap out of (you)," Fictum said.

Anyone with information about the robberies should call police at (312) 744-8263.
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/08/beatings-robberies-in-lincoln-park-1.html

A comment by Frank Hienz on August 2, 2009 12:49 PM :
Quote:
Why doesn't the newspaper include a description of these offenders? I know that the descriptions were given out by the police because I called that phone number in the news story and the police gave me the descriptions so I know what to look out for. The description is a group of young male blacks, between 15-20 years of age, walking in groups and they approach their victims from behind.
What a shame that when ever the offender(s) are black the newspapers are afraid to release this information.

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 08:14 am
@Pamela Rosa,
Miller, is that you?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:17 am
@Pamela Rosa,
Thanks, Neighborhood Watchdog!

Chicago is such a frightening place, so beware, visitors. Especially Lincoln Park (and the north side in general). By frightening I of course mean there only a half-dozen Panera Bread locations and a paltry four Banana Republic stores. Per square mile.

And, as evidenced by the article above, almost everyone in Lincoln Park carries a pair of unregistered fists. In fact I take care to wear a knuckle-proof vest whenever I'm there.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:30 am
@Gargamel,
At my age, I'm in bed by 10pm - most nites.
devriesj

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 12:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Woot! I made it (thanks to JPB)!! I have not read this entire thread, but I will endeavor to get caught up.
Where will you all be exactly? I ask because I have a sister in Lincoln Square that I might be able to stay with. I also need to work out transportation logistics. Idk if we can drive or if I can take the train. So ... if someone could fill me in, I'll make necessary arrangements from here to get there, okay?! Very Happy
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 12:55 pm
@devriesj,
devries, Good! We're waiting for the Chicago contingent to establish venues, dates, and times. I'm afraid my arrival into Chicago will be after midnight on the 21st (catching a red-eye), but should be ready for almost anything after 7ish in the morning.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 01:00 pm
@devriesj,
I just wrote out a long post describing the free trolley system but then discovered that it's been discontinued. That's a shame. I used it all the time when I was wandering around downtown in the summertime.

Depending on where she is in Lincoln Square, you could take either the red line or the brown line downtown. I know we plan on meeting downtown at least a couple times over the course of her visit. So far, ci is the only other person I know of from out of town who will be here over that weekend. O'Bill, Swimpy, and others are considering a trip in but haven't yet committed. It's all kinda fluid at this point but will firm up over the next week, or so.

So, so glad you're looking seriously at coming over, dev. I hope it works out for you.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 01:09 pm
@JPB,
Has izzie canceled?
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 01:14 pm
@devriesj,
I lived in the Lincoln Square neighborhood for six years. It's very accessible by public transportation -- no need to get a car. I'm sure most of the A2K events will be in the city, but if anything happens in the suburbs I'm sure we can make transportation arrangements.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 01:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No, I meant the only "other" person from out of town who will be here over that weekend for sure.
Izzie

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 02:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Who moi! Oh no no no.... we're not cancelling anything - will definitely be there and can't wait to meet everyone. Not sure how much walking I'm gonna be able to do - it changes each day Very Happy Little fella is just so excited too.

Hot Hot Hot in Dallas right now - we're in the 'burbs here and just did our first driving for this visit - ha - we were on the 'right' side of the road - so that was a bit of a result!!!!!!!!!!!!! Razz

So looking forward to seeing everyone - can't tell you how much it means for this all to be organised. Thanku JPB - we wanna do as much as Izzily possible.

Happy happy days Very Happy
Izzie

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 02:44 pm
@Gargamel,
Hey Garg - you gonna be around love? Be good to see ya!
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 02:49 pm
@Izzie,
Whew!@ That eased my temporal.
Izzie

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 02:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
HA! No chance of us not being there - got the road trip planning coming along nicely and just looking forward to seeing you. Smiling big right now. x
0 Replies