My kind of town, Chicago is...

Izzie

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 04:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
We're flying out on Wednesday morning, starting in Dallas, may be popping down to Houston (not sure yet, not organised enough), heading up to Kansas, across to St.Louis and on up to Chicago, flying back into the UK on the 25th - it's going to be amazing. So much to see and do, places to go, people to meet. How fab!

Just that excited right now Razz
McTag

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 04:15 pm
@Izzie,

That sounds like Route 66 backwards. Mighty fine.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 04:32 pm
@Izzie,
I hope you're meeting up with some a2kers in Houston. Are you planning to go up on the St Louis Arch? It's an amazing experience; feels like you're floating way up there.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:05 am
At an A2K Chicago meet-up a couple of years ago, the German contingent was happy to go to an authentic German restaurant (seems they don't get much German food in Germany). In that spirit, I wonder if Izzie and son would be interested in going to a fish-and-chips place like The Duke of Perth.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:23 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

At an A2K Chicago meet-up a couple of years ago, the German contingent was happy to go to an authentic German restaurant (seems they don't get much German food in Germany). In that spirit, I wonder if Izzie and son would be interested in going to a fish-and-chips place like The Duke of Perth.
Is that a Fish Fry I smell cooking?
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:30 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Cheeseheads Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:45 am
my only good fish and chips in england were in the olden days, wrapped in newspaper and grease dripping down my arm, nowdays I get better fish and chips at my local IHOP.
Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 06:46 pm
@joefromchicago,
Did we? I thought the last authenic German restaurant closed down shortly before we came. All I remember is a quiche restaurant, where all the quiches were labeled "deep dish pizza". (Evidently, the purpose of the mislabelling was to spare Heartlanders the embarrassment of eating something French.)
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 06:59 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
I thought the last authenic German restaurant closed down shortly before we came

Zum Deutschen Eck was the only great German place, and it is long gone (2000)
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 07:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
was sold at a high price to developers to be condo's.....is a parking lot.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 07:11 pm
@dyslexia,
I remember those newspaper wrapped fish and chips when there were more places selling those than McDonalds restaurants today. Today, you really have to hunt to find one.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
There are still a couple good German restaurants around.

http://www.chibarproject.com/Reviews/Resi's/Resi's.htm
Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:23 pm
@sublime1,
My browser throws up a "not found" error when I click that link. "Not found" -- what more is there to say about good German restaurants in Chicago? I rest my case.
mac11

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:51 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:

...may be popping down to Houston (not sure yet, not organised enough)...
I'd love to meet you Izzie, so if you're going to make it to Houston, just name the day & time and I'll try my best to be there.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 07:26 am
@cicerone imposter,
EXCELLENT!!!!

Happy to see you again, ci.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 07:29 am
@maporsche,
map -- check out Door County, WI for some good hiking. There are a number of trails that follow the cliffs/dunes. There's also a county trail at Whitefish Dunes Park that connects to the larger trail system. It's a nice walk along the ridge.

Door County Trails
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 07:30 am
@realjohnboy,
Are you coming, rjb? That would be fantastic!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 07:41 am
Cubs WIN!!! We left at the bottom of the 11th but it was a fun night at the park even if we didn't stay for the grand slam finale.

I was talking to my long-time friend ASM last night. She's a Chicago local, lurks here often, posts rarely and she's considering coming to the gathering to meet some of the folks she's been reading about and hearing about for the many years I've been here. I hope it works out and she decides to join us.

ci -- yes, we'll plan some specific outings. I don't know if you're interested in another architecture boat tour. It's a must for first time visitors and I was thinking of getting tickets for that on one of the weekdays. We can meet JW and other locals for lunch and then venture over to the docks. We'll also take a look at what's happening during those dates specifically and throw out some ideas when the timing is closer for an evening or weekend event.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:00 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

My browser throws up a "not found" error when I click that link. "Not found" -- what more is there to say about good German restaurants in Chicago? I rest my case.

MS Windows keyboard transliteration error. Replace the two "'" with apostrophes:

http://www.chibarproject.com/Reviews/Resi's/Resi's.htm
Thomas

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:13 am
@joefromchicago,
Thanks, Joe! I guess I owe Chicago an apology now. Congratulations on the Cubs' success!
0 Replies