Dept of Homeboy Security - Illegal Immigration UP!!!

old europe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 01:24 pm
Darn, how could I have forgotten....? Thanks, ebrown!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 01:45 pm
I happen to live in Albuquerque New Mexico which is celebrating its 300 hundreth birthday this year. There are many families here speaking their spanish language only (although almost all are bilingual) as they have been for over 300 years. It really pisses of the yankees who have moved here in the past 30 years from Norte America and are in a definite minority here. They are surrounded by spanish speaking/ Amerind speaking natives and they really don't like it (especially being a minority) There is even a movement among them to demand "texas only spoken in the schools" Fortunately most of them live in semi-gated communites like North East Heights and Rio Rancho where we are, for the most part, able to keep them contained.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:48 pm
You can be glad that don't bother to be containered .... oops, misread that, sorry. :wink:
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:49 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
old, you forgot "their country". These are Americans you are talking about (especially in the case of Miami).

okay, okay, okay. the thread is moving off of topic. which is, illegal immigration.

which means by definition that the people that we should be discussing are those that have entered the country without permission.

to eb;

just wanted to clear something up with you. i get the feeling that you want to take the conversation into a direction of, maybe not racism, but perhaps you feel that i'm prejudiced or one of the "real american" brigade.

let me tell you a little about our neighborhood. or at least our little street where we have lived for 15 years.

the city recently released numbers that stated that the makeup was 40% armenian, 20% hispanic and around 10% asian with black americans coming in at about 1-2%. immigrants make up more than 50% of the city's population.

not a lot of jueros here.

most of the culturals are clustered in their enclaves. without much in the way of diversity.

on the otherhand, our street is one of the most culturally diverse in our city of glendale. it is a couple blocks long and dead ends at the top of the hill. so it really is it's own little neighborhood.

until just a few years ago we were not only the only white family on the street, but were also the only native born americans. the apartment building we lived in previously was much the same. in fact, in the 30 years i've lived in the l.a. area, and the year or so in nyc, i have never lived in an all white or even all native born american neighborhood.

our new neighbor next door on the left is an anglo. our new neighbor on the right is filipino. my neighbor across the street is mexicano. she's single, has 2 nice kids and i try to keep an eye on them because they are both very young. i hang out with both of her brothers when they come around. her neighbors on both sides are armenian. one is a very nice fellow from yrevan, armenia. nobody knows where the other guy is from. he's a total ass and won't speak to anyone that's not armenian. and they have to be the right kind of armenian, i guess, because he won't talk to the guy from yrevan. go figure...

we also have new neighbors a couple of doors down. a quiet jewish fella and his korean wife. across the street from them is a korean family. very nice folks. farther down the block, the story is much the same. japanese, chinese, korean, mexican, guatemalan, armenian, italian, indonesian, a very pretty dark skinned girl from new zealand, and a couple of white, gay new wavers that blast Skinny Puppy cds on a regular basis. they get pretty interested when my posse shows up for the monthly, big ass jams. we blast away at the great volume that us rockers love to punish ourselves with. i mention it because not once have the neighbors called in the bulls to break up our noise fests. we all have a live and let live attitude, it seems.

we all get along just fine. we look out for each other. walk our dogs together. the dogs get along just fine as well. Laughing

some of our immigrant neighbors speak very good english, some speak only a little. but most try.

that's all i really expect from immigrants; what you called, "a little human decency".

okay. how 'bout those mets ??
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:40 pm
jueros?

I think you mean güeros.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 01:38 am
InfraBlue wrote:
jueros?

I think you mean güeros.

never said i could spell in spanish. hooked on phonics, i guess.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 03:50 am
DTOM,
Having spent the first 30 years of my life in San Diego County (born and raised there),I can understand your frustration with languages.
It especially galls me that ballots must be printed in 30 different languages in SoCal,just so everyone can vote.

My solution is to make english the official language of the US.
If you choose to speak another language in your home,place of worship,community,or anyplace else,thats perfectly fine.
But,ALL official business,such as voting,the DMV,street signs,welfare agencies,job applications,etc. will only be printed in english or only speak english.

If someone CHOOSES not to learn english,then they CHOOSE to cut themselves off from any community or govt services.

The CHOICE is theirs.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 06:44 am
Your idea, man, would elininate quite a lot - or wouldn't it include writing English as well?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:44 pm
mysteryman wrote:
ballots must be printed in 30 different languages in SoCal, just so everyone can vote.

yup. and that's pretty much what i'm gettin' at. i find it difficult to understand why people are so annoyed by my belief that if you come to live in america, you should learn, at least, enough english to interact with me. it gets painted as some kind of redneck, racist nationalist rant.

sittin' here, within a 100 miles of the border with mexico, it makes sense that spanish culture has had a noticable historical impact. i just take it as a similar thing to the french influence around quebec. no big deal.

the southwest is going bilingual. english and spanish. okay, time marches on...

but it's beyond me why anyone in their right mind thinks it's a good thing to bypass the commonality of speaking english.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 09:51 am

Report Finds U.S. Failing on Overstays of Visas
By ERIC LIPTON
The Department of Homeland Security far too frequently
fails to follow up on leads that foreign visitors have
overstayed their visas, according to a new report.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/22/politics/22immig.html?th&emc=th

Homeland insecurity strikes again.
0 Replies