msolga

Mon 22 Sep, 2008 05:11 am
@barrythemod,
Just caught up with Clubland, Barry. (I've got a lot of catching up to do!) Brenda Blethyn was very good, I agree. Handled quite a difficult role (especially the excruciating moments - like the last audition. Agggggh, the mortification!) wonderfully well. It's a credit to her that she was so convincingly human (likeable, even) while portraying such a difficult, at times selfish & self-obsessed, character.

It really was called "The Dwights" in the US? Gosh.
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 2 Jul, 2009 08:28 am
I saw this one a few weeks ago, so it's not as fresh in my mind as it could be. My Year Without Sex, Sarah Watt's new film, could be described as a "family film", but it's definitely not purely happy family territory. Out of the blue, Natalie (the mother) suffers a brain aneurism & is cautioned to abstain from (amongst other things) sneezing, heavy lifting & orgasms. The film covers the year in which she & her family cope with & adjust to her (& their) new situation. But there's also a whole lot more going on:getting by in tough financial times, considering life & the possibility of death, the everyday dramas, humour & love that are the fabric of family life .... above all it's funny & feels very real. It's set in Melbourne's western suburbs, very familiar territory for me. I enjoyed it, though not as much as Watt's previous film, Look Both Ways. I loved that one! In a patchy year for Oz film making, the critics have almost unanimously declared My Year Without Sex to be the best local film of 2009 so far ...

http://images.theage.com.au/ftage/ffximage/2009/05/21/EGyearithoutsex_wideweb__470x300,0.jpg

At The Movies review, including trailer:
http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2547557.htm

Radio National review excerpt:
Quote:
Sarah Watt says freely that many of her films, including her earlier short animations, are really explorations of anxiety. Humour is certainly one way of keeping terror at bay, and of bonding families just dogpaddling in order to stay afloat. But Watt is also tackling some pretty important questions here, about ethics, consumerism, coping with fear and living with grace. She does so with emotional intelligence as well.

I'm going to stick my neck out here. The directors whose work I most enjoy are those who bring close tender observations to the mundane, and who put it on screen with empathy and playfulness. It's no accident so many are women: Agnes Varda, for example, Jane Campion at her best; Shirley Barret at times, Sarah Watt. To downplay the importance of such films, because of their domestic settings, is to make a grave mistake: the kind once used, for example, to downplay the importance of the paintings of Pierre Bonnard, because his subjects were domestic.

..........In a country where taking the piss is a standard defence against just about everything major, including death, God and your football team letting you down, Watt's humour cuts through. She is a a filmmaker to treasure.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/movietime/stories/2009/2583667.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 2 Jul, 2009 08:37 am
Oh & last week I finally saw Australia, though on DVD, not at the cinema. Sorry to say I didn't take a shine to it at all (!), in fact found it pretty boring & predictable. And it was so long! We thought it would never end!
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 15 Aug, 2009 07:29 pm
Yesterday I saw a recently released Oz film, Beautiful Kate. I thought it was a pretty good effort, especially as a first effort, by Rachel Ward. Engrossing, with a good sense of "place". Ben Mendelsohn & Bryan Brown were especially good as father & son with some seriously conflicts, left unresolved for too long. In a way, the atmosphere of this film reminded me of the long ago The Year My Voice Broke (an old favourite of mine). It was interesting to see the older Ben Mendelsohn, compared to his younger, reckless character in "Voice". This one's definitely worth seeing, but maybe not on a day when you need a bit of a cheer up. Wink If may leave you feeling a bit melancholy, as it did me:

Beautiful Kate
★★★★
Selected release (101 minutes)
Reviewer Jim Schembri/the AGE
August 6, 200

http://images.theage.com.au/ftage/ffximage/2009/08/06/kate_wideweb__470x357,0.jpg
Ben Mendelsohn in Beautiful Kate.

IN A banner year for Australian cinema, here comes another hands-down winner with writer/director Rachel Ward’s totally mesmerising story about family skeletons, sexual transgression and a lifelong father-son grudge in desperate need of resolution.

Quote:
With his latest short-term girlfriend in tow, long-absent son Ned (Ben Mendelsohn) returns to the troubled family homestead where his ageing father Bruce (Bryan Brown) is dying. After a warm embrace from his sister Sally (Rachel Griffiths) and a rough welcome from his grumbling, bedridden dad, tensions rise.

For Ned, the whole place is a landscape of unsettling memory triggers involving his older brother Cliff (Josh McFarlane) and his younger sister Kate (Sophie Lowe), with whom he shared a close relationship. As Ned involuntarily flashes back through a series of disturbing and tragic events, his hardened feelings towards his father become increasingly strained and spiteful.

In traversing a dramatic terrain fraught with taboo topics and moral tripwires, Ward, in an impressive feature debut, proves a master of tact and understatement by side-stepping sensationalism as she delicately explores the conflicted soul of a middle-aged man forced to face the demons of his past.... <cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/film/film-reviews/beautiful-kate/2009/08/05/1249350589692.html
msolga

Sat 15 Aug, 2009 08:37 pm
@msolga,
If you're interested: Some footage from Beautiful Kate, plus Margaret & David's review of the film:

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2631067.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:00 pm
Here's the next Oz film I plan to see. Balibo. Actually it was a toss-up between this one & Beautiful Kate, yesterday. So many good films around at the moment! But I'm really looking forward to this one! The (never satisfactorily resolved) issue of the "Balibo five" is a very big deal to many Australians, including me. Here's David & Margaret's review, including some film excerpts:

Quote:
.... BALIBO is one of the most highly anticipated Australian films in a vintage year for our cinema, and Robert Connolly’s film, co-scripted with David Williamson, has the great advantage of being filmed on the locations where the events actually took place. There’s an immediacy to the scenes in which the adventurous newsmen take enormous risks to bring to Australian living-rooms the hot news story of the moment " and paid a terrible price for their audacity.

Performances here are excellent, with ANTHONY LAPAGLIA, as the older, more experienced, Roger East and Oscar Isaac as the young Ramos Horta also very good indeed. I’m not sure that splitting the narrative in two and flashing backwards and forwards between the story of the five newsmen and that of East, which took place a short time later, is very helpful; this structure tends to diminish the tension. And the faux documentary, hand-held-style, while appropriate for some sequences, gets annoying when used inappropriately for others.

I’d also have liked more background detail into the actions of the Whitlam government while all this was going on. Despite these drawbacks, BALIBO still tells a very powerful story, one that needed to be told......

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2642574.htm
dlowan

Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:00 pm
@msolga,
Thankee for that...I love ben!

Haven't felt up to Samson and Delilah, that's for sure!
dlowan

Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:01 pm
@msolga,
Been thinking about that one.

msolga

Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:03 pm
@dlowan,
Oh I can understand that, Deb.
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:11 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Haven't felt up to Samson and Delilah, that's for sure!

No, I haven't felt up to it either. Feeling rather guilty about this, too.

Ben is wonderful in Beautiful Kate. Trust me on this! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 06:06 am
http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/custom/22/10011622.jpg

This afternoon I saw Balibo, one of the many of this year's offering of Australian films, which I've been meaning to see for ages. As it was down to two daily sessions at my regular cinema, I thought I'd better get in quickly, before it disappeared from the big screen altogether.

This film is about the death of 5 Australian journalists in 1975 at Balibo (on the border of East Timor & Indonesia) but it is as much the story of East Timor's struggle for independence. (which was finally achieved in 1999, after much bloodshed & loss of life). It's hard to know whether this film has had such a big impact on Australians because of the close East Timor connection & what's widely believed to be a cover-up of the death of the journalists by our own government & the government of Indonesia. The UN, the rest of the world, just let this tragic take-over by Indonesia happen. Interestingly, the Australian government has recently reopened an inquiry into the deaths of "the Balibo five", motivated into action (at last) by this film.

Anthony Paglia is perfect in the role of Anthony East, aged & jaded journo, who has seen much better days, but somehow rises to the occasion just one last time :

At the Movies review, including trailer:

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2642574.htm

Julie Rigg's (RN) review:

Quote:
Storytelling in this film becomes tense and, at times, shocking. We've seen war footage, we have even seen massacres on film. But the deaths of the five; and the sequences on the wharf at Dili two months later, are gut-wrenching.

It's a film deliberately designed to provoke debate. Should they have pulled out earlier? The young journalists, as portrayed hy Damien Gameau, Gyton Grantley, Mark Winter, Nathan Phillips and Thomas Wright, are innocent to the point of naivety, driven by a sense of competitiveness and perhaps adventure but, gradually, as the reality of the imminent invasion sinks home, by something more.

There is a scene, described by Greg Shackleton in a famous piece to camera, which Connolly recreates beautifully, as the group sit awkwardly in a hut the night before they arrive in Balibo, and try to answer the questions of the Timorese who have taken them in.

This really ratchets up the emotional stakes. As do the preparations and the responses of the five as the Fretilin troops withdraw, and the crew insist they will stay to get their story.

As Roger East " overweight, out of condition, dogged, dogmatic, floundering through rugged terrain " LaPaglia gives a performance without vanity.

But he is more than matched by Oscar Isaac, a young Cuban-American actor who plays a complex man, Jose Ramos Horta, with both lightness and substance. He doesn't look like the youthful Ramos Horta. But he has captured the man's arrogance, his charm, his manipulativeness, and his idealism. He materialises and dematerialises throughout the film like a genie in jungle fatigues. It's an impressive performance and provides the necessary counterweight to East's dogged bluster.

The film is bracketed by a prologue and an epilogue in which Bea Viega, as fictional character Juliana, gives evidence to a United Nations Truth and Reconciliation Commission after the liberation in 1999. How do you weigh the deaths of six journalists against the deaths of between 100,000 and 183,000 Timorese who died in the 34 years of Indonesian occupation? As Ramos Horta said at the film's premiere, who will remember their names?

Balibo is a strong film, and Connolly's best to date. Despite the plaudits of many of my fellow critics, it's not a perfect film. There are some moments, such as a fight in a swimming pool, and Horta's farewell speech, which felt to me unnecessarily melodramatic, or declamatory. But it's a bloody good one.

It doesn't pursue too far the questions posed in Jill Joliffe's book Cover Up, about Australian government complicity in covering up the journalists' murders. Or indeed the issue of whether the Whitlam Government, with its listening posts, could have got the journalists out.

But the questions are there, and unavoidable. Despite declarations in opposition, Kevin Rudd's government has been slow to act on the findings of the NSW Deputy Coroner two years ago that the five were murdered and not, as the Indonesian and Australian governments insisted, caught in crossfire.

Finally, Australian feature films have got up off the couch this year and begun to ask important questions. You owe it to yourself to see this film.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/movietime/stories/2009/2655318.htm

msolga

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 06:37 am
(Doing a bit of catching up tonight..)

I saw Blessed about three weeks ago, so it's not as fresh in my mind as Balibo. This one (like director Ana Kokkinos' previous films) is quite gut-wrenching & pulls absolutely no punches. Set in Melbourne, it's about troubled children & the stories of their seven troubled mothers. I can't find much to fault with this film. Tightly scripted, beautiful cinematography & wonderful acting, including Frances O’Connor, Miranda Otto, Deborra-Lee Furness, William M'Cinness & Victoria Haralabidou. (What a cast!)
But be prepared, if you're planning on going to see this film, it's not easy viewing. I felt rather like I'd been run over by a train by the end!

http://www.filmink.com.au/images/reviews/8d220cdfbcf33b6a52a9.jpg

David & Margaret's review & trailer:
http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2658172.htm

Rotten tomatoes reviews of Blessed:
http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/blessed_2009/
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 06:38 am
@msolga,
Watchingwith interest. Ive enjoyed most Oz films as they dont get caught up in hyper production and mechanical editing like US films do.

PS anything with Billy Connoly in the pipes?
msolga

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 06:54 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Watching with interest.

I'm pleased about that, farmer. This has been a terrific year for Oz film making (heaps of them! I can't keep up.) ... though there's been some complaint from the critics that the themes have been rather "bleak". Still, a nice change from the endless "outback" period dramas!
Nah, nothing with Billy C in the pipeline, I'm sad to say. Probably because he lives in the UK! Wink
djjd62

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 06:59 am
@msolga,
Sad , i like a nice outback period drama

will have to check out some of you recommendations
msolga

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 07:03 am
@djjd62,
I can give you a big list of outback dramas, if you'd prefer, djjd! Wink

It's just good to see our film makers dealing so well with contemporary issues. Obviously I'm biased, though. It's a tough industry in such a little country.
dlowan

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 07:35 am
@msolga,
I was hearing something on the radio about a new indigenous comedy...heard the director talking.

Heard of it Msolga????
djjd62

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 07:37 am
@msolga,
it's tough here in canada too

most canadian pictures don't even make it out of the large cities (toronto, montreal and vancouver)

apart from some art house places near me (and those are mostly one showing and gone), almost no canadian film has opened within about a 4 hour drive
msolga

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 07:41 am
@djjd62,
Little countries, djjd. And films require such big budgets. A risky business attempting to be an innovative film maker.
farmerman

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:50 am
@msolga,
Netflix, which has just about demolished the video stores and the cable movies, carries a nice and growing selection of indy and foreign films , as well as specials by the BBC and Bostons PBS studio. I rather like movies that dont depend on inserting CGI cartoons into the plot .