farmerman

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 02:28 pm
@farmerman,
SHIEEEE' IT. I tried putiing Balibo and My YEar Without Sex on our NEtflix que and theres a "long wait" note behind each one. (Im still waiting for Gray Fox-a western)

SO, What are some good outback movies ? maybe they are on NETFLIX.

(We watched "The Dish", it was good, but, like many movies in the "Waking Ned Devine genre, it was slow)
msolga

Tue 6 Oct, 2009 07:27 am
@farmerman,
Were you serious about wanting a list of outback films, farmer? If so, here's a link with a list for you to check out.:

http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/australian_outback_movies.html

I'd also recommend Wake in Fright (an oldie that's just been re-released) if you want to be put off Oz for life! Wink
msolga

Tue 6 Oct, 2009 07:28 am
@dlowan,
No, I haven't heard anything about that one at all, Deb.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 6 Oct, 2009 08:01 am
@msolga,
Thank you, <rs F is searching on Netflix to see if those movies (other than Hogans) are on their catalog
msolga

Tue 6 Oct, 2009 08:03 am
@farmerman,
Mind you, I am hardly an expert on outback films!

Idea I guess you could call Priscilla Queen of the Desert an outback film, too?
msolga

Tue 6 Oct, 2009 08:12 am
@farmerman,
<a thought before I head off to bed> Not remotely an outback film, farmer, but one I think you might like is Look Both Ways. It's a few years old now, so shouldn't be too hard to borrow from your rental place. (I wrote a "review" of it some pages back on this thread, but am too tired to look right now. Tomorrow perhaps, if you're interested.)

Night night.
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 6 Oct, 2009 08:22 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Idea I guess you could call Priscilla Queen of the Desert an outback film, too?

Indubitably.
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 6 Oct, 2009 08:39 am
@msolga,
There's some other oldies:

We of the Never Never

The Overlanders

Jedda

Ten Canoes, of course....way more recent...did that get mentioned? It's fabulous.

0 Replies

margo

Tue 6 Oct, 2009 08:01 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I was hearing something on the radio about a new indigenous comedy...heard the director talking.

Stone Brothers???
msolga

Tue 6 Oct, 2009 08:12 pm
@margo,
I confess I don't know of the Stone Brothers, margo. Could you tell us a bit about them?
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 6 Oct, 2009 09:04 pm
@margo,
I don't know.
0 Replies

margo

Wed 7 Oct, 2009 08:07 pm
http://www.stonebrosmovie.com.au/

I've not seen the movie, but saw something about it in the paper last week - but can't recall what!
dlowan

Wed 7 Oct, 2009 10:03 pm
@margo,
I'm looking forward to it.
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 20 Nov, 2009 09:14 pm
If (like me) any of you meant to see Samson & Delilah, but missed it, it'll be shown on Sunday night on the ABC (1) at 8:30.

Here's David & Margaret's review, plus a trailer :

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2542612.htm

dlowan

Fri 20 Nov, 2009 09:18 pm
@msolga,
I am so staying in that night.

Mind you, I am afraid that it's likely to be a lot like going to work.
msolga

Fri 20 Nov, 2009 09:20 pm
@dlowan,
Could be!
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 05:24 am
@msolga,
Good film. Totally convincing. Relentlessly grim, though.
God I feel so depressed! Sad
dlowan

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 05:51 am
@msolga,
Yes.

Um.....all the communities I have visited in the APY lands have a lot more going on that that, though!!!

Not saying the spirit isn't real and all.

I mean...that was such a tiny community, it looked like a homeland, not an actual community...but it had a store and clinic, which homelands don't have.

The violence looked bloody real though.

Interesting to have aboriginal people speaking out about that aspect of culture.

Though there was no mention of the men on women and children violence that is endemic! Nor the sexual violence.
msolga

Mon 23 Nov, 2009 06:45 am
@dlowan,
Not having been to any of these communities, like you,I can't really comment on the accuracy of the depiction of life there. It just seemed rather strange that Samson & Delilah were the only two young people living there.

I don't know if the ending was meant to be taken as optimistic or not, but I found it pretty sad. There she was, looking after him, just like she'd looked after her grandmother. Almost the same deal, really. As though looking after people was somehow her designated role in life. And as for Samson, I just felt he most likely wouldn't be ok, once he was anywhere near glue & petrol again. He looked so old, so gutted, for someone so young.
dlowan

Mon 23 Nov, 2009 07:42 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Not having been to any of these communities, like you,I can't really comment on the accuracy of the depiction of life there. It just seemed rather strange that Samson & Delilah were the only two young people living there.

I don't know if the ending was meant to be taken as optimistic or not, but I found it pretty sad. There she was, looking after him, just like she'd looked after her grandmother. Almost the same deal, really. As though looking after people was somehow her designated role in life. And as for Samson, I just felt he most likely wouldn't be ok, once he was anywhere near glue & petrol again. He looked so old, so gutted, for someone so young.

Yes....she DID, indeed, seem doomed to a life of looking after.

At least nana was lively and productive!!

And he just moved in on her and took and took.
0 Replies