barrythemod

Thu 20 Mar, 2008 02:13 am
msolga wrote:
barrythemod wrote:
Anything at all that has "floated your boat" will be welcome,and thanks for offering to do this Cool .

OK, so tell me if I'm on the right track here, Barry, or whether you've seen the lot & are looking for something a bit more obscure.

It was because I got fed up to the eye-teeth with standard Hollywood fare that I turned my attention to films from Oz and Korea,and so far,apart from a couple of duffers,I'm well happy.So,yes,I suppose I am looking for something out of the ordinary (my mates don't even know who Mike Leigh is,let alone seen any of his films) but I totally agree with you when you said that a good film is still a good film,no matter where it's made or how much (or how little) it cost to make.I hope that some of the films I've posted about on A2K are totally unknown to some and have aroused a little interest and have maybe even been added to their Netflix list.
Looking forward to future pointers from all Very Happy .
0 Replies

barrythemod

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:15 am
Slapped Gabriel into the player yesterday.It's a very enjoyable low-budget sci-fi tale,but don't be put off by that.This has joined my list of favorite independent sci-fi films alongside Cube,The Thirteenth Floor and,of course,Dark City.
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:54 am
You're way ahead of me, Barry! Haven't seen that one, either.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:18 am
Anyone have any opinions about 'The MAn who Sued God"?. I love Billy Connoly as that guy whose always slightly on the edge of losing it wherever he is in polite company.
I think this movie came out about 2002 and was a back to back (sorta) with his role in "Mrs Brown"
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:18 am
Anyone have any opinions about 'The MAn who Sued God"?. I love Billy Connoly as that guy whose always slightly on the edge of losing it wherever he is in polite company.
I think this movie came out about 2002 and was a back to back (sorta) with his role in "Mrs Brown"
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:27 am
farmerman wrote:

Haven't seen that one, either, farmer, though I've seen Mrs Brown.

(psst. It's not an Oz film, but that's OK. :wink: )
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:40 am
Anyone seen this one, from 1996? I picked it up at my video shop & other day & was quite impressed! (Mind you, it might not be everyone's cup of tea! I saw another review which described it as "turgid"! :wink: )

Review Summary:What I have Written

This intellectual, witty Australian drama offers an intriguingly sophisticated look into adultery. Too say too much about this plot would give away the secrets and surprises that gradually unfold, so what follows is the barest sketch. The story features two couples from Melbourne (both played by the same actors) whose lives and romantic troubles seem to overlap or perhaps intertwine in unexpected ways. University lecturer Christopher and his wife Sorrel comprise the main couple. A recent trip to Europe seems to have brought their marriage close to ruins. Avery and Gillian also experience marital turmoil when Avery gets involved with an older French seductress, Catherine. ~ Sandra Brennan, All Movie Guide

http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/136187/What-I-Have-Written/overview
0 Replies

barrythemod

Tue 8 Apr, 2008 04:56 am
Speaking of Phil Noyce, this one's terrific! Newsfront. Loved it! Very Happy :

Yeah,me to Smile .It combines social history,political snapshots and cinema industry news cleverly inter-cut with actual news events.Coming in at a little under 2 hours,this is a great story,well told.I even learned a bit of history along the way :wink: .
Still trying to track down a copy of Bliss.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Wed 9 Apr, 2008 01:05 am
Wahooooooooo!.
Clubland wins another trophy Very Happy .
0 Replies

barrythemod

Tue 22 Apr, 2008 03:55 am
A guy at work has just come back from a 3 week home visit to Melbourne,his first for 3 years.He can't stop talking about Underbelly.To me it sounds like an Oz version of The Sopranos,which I loved.Any of you guys and gals seen or heard of it,and waddya think of it?
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 22 Apr, 2008 04:48 am
farmerman wrote:

It was fine....but more a long sketch than a film, I think.

Still, Billy could fart the National Anthem and I'd swoon!

barrythemod wrote:
Speaking of Phil Noyce, this one's terrific! Newsfront. Loved it! Very Happy :

Yeah,me to Smile .It combines social history,political snapshots and cinema industry news cleverly inter-cut with actual news events.Coming in at a little under 2 hours,this is a great story,well told.I even learned a bit of history along the way :wink: .
Still trying to track down a copy of Bliss.

Oh my! I recall seeing it in the cinema when it was released....loved it.

Re Bliss: have you tried downloading from Bigpond.com.au.....and go to Film/TV downloads? They may have it.

barrythemod wrote:
A guy at work has just come back from a 3 week home visit to Melbourne,his first for 3 years.He can't stop talking about Underbelly.To me it sounds like an Oz version of The Sopranos,which I loved.Any of you guys and gals seen or heard of it,and waddya think of it?

I have watched a few shows, and liked it, but not enough to follow it right now. I may catch it (more conveniently) on DVD.

It can be compared to The Sopranoes, but it is VERY Australian. I'd go for it. I can recall it really hitting the spot when I remembered my Corrections days.....there is something black but wonderful about true crime stories that reflect the weird wackiness but terrible blackness of people outside the law, and this was how I remember the world of the professional crim.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Tue 22 Apr, 2008 05:46 am
^
Thanks for that.Downloading via Bigpond only works within Australia.It was worth a try Cool .As soon as Ezy or DVDcrave gets Underbelly,I'll slap in an order.Still can't understand why I can't get a copy of Bliss on DVD Shocked .
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 22 Apr, 2008 07:16 am
barrythemod wrote:
^
Thanks for that.Downloading via Bigpond only works within Australia.It was worth a try Cool .As soon as Ezy or DVDcrave gets Underbelly,I'll slap in an order.Still can't understand why I can't get a copy of Bliss on DVD Shocked .

Hmmmm...it's even unavailable in Oz.

Hopefully it will be re-issued.
0 Replies

dadpad

Tue 22 Apr, 2008 03:58 pm
Barry, Underbelly is banned from being shown in Victoria due to court action involving some of the real life characters portrayed in the film, so I havnt seen it.

There are a number of (some are possibly illegal) download sites. None of which I am familiar with of course.

This is a legal download site associated with Cannel 9 but I think you can only get the last 4 episodes.

http://www.underbellytv.com/
0 Replies

CoriCori

Thu 24 Apr, 2008 11:33 am
Re: New (& fairly recent) Oz films
msolga wrote:
I'm on holiday right now & catching up with lots of films! At theatres & also on DVD. This is just great! Very Happy

Anyway, today I saw an Australian film that I really, really, really (!) loved!: Look Both Ways.

It's a wonderful film, about attitudes to life, death & just carrying on.... One sad event triggers a number of different folk to examine their own lives: like how death (or the very real possibility impending death, in one case) affects them. This may sound morbid or ponderous, but surprise! ... It's quite the opposite! Very Happy I loved how animation was used to convey the thoughts of the characters. Very clever & it worked so well.
I'm a rather picky film viewer & normally find a flaw or two to detract from the film, but in this case everything seemed to work & mesh beautifully: the cast, the animations, the script, the music ... Just very good!

If it comes your way, check it out I doubt you'll be disappointed. Very Happy

http://www.lookbothways.com.au/main.html

Looking forward to seeing it. Thanks!
0 Replies

barrythemod

Tue 29 Apr, 2008 01:43 am
dadpad wrote:
Barry, Underbelly is banned from being shown in Victoria due to court action involving some of the real life characters portrayed in the film, so I havnt seen it.

There are a number of (some are possibly illegal) download sites. None of which I am familiar with of course.

This is a legal download site associated with Cannel 9 but I think you can only get the last 4 episodes.

Saw the first 8 episodes over the weekend.I can definatly see The Soprano's "family" theme running through the stories but the violence in Underbelly is much more graphic.And talking about graphic,strewth,what about those sex scenes (at least 2 in each episode).I'm no prude,but some of them are a little "over the top".Question............what time of day is this shown? For UK broadcast,even on the very liberal Channel 4,these would be heavily cut.
All in all,I'm enjoying this series.Very good character development,and the overall story rolls along at a fair pace.
0 Replies

dadpad

Tue 29 Apr, 2008 02:21 am
barrythemod wrote:
dadpad wrote:

Saw the first 8 episodes over the weekend.I can definatly see The Soprano's "family" theme running through the stories but the violence in Underbelly is much more graphic.And talking about graphic,strewth,what about those sex scenes (at least 2 in each episode).I'm no prude,but some of them are a little "over the top".Question............what time of day is this shown? .

8.30 - 930 pm: UNDERBELLY

6.00 pm: NATIONAL NINE NEWS
6.30 pm: A CURRENT AFFAIR
7.00 pm: TWO AND A HALF MEN
7.30 pm: TWO AND A HALF MEN
8.00 pm: TWO AND A HALF MEN
8.30 pm: UNDERBELLY
9.30 pm: HELL'S KITCHEN
10.30 pm: CANAL ROAD
11.30 pm: NIGHTLINE
0 Replies

barrythemod

Wed 30 Apr, 2008 04:05 am
Thanks for that Dadpad.
Just seen episodes 9 and 10.Very enjoyable.They've woken up to the fact that a good story doesn't need embellishment :wink: .These two episodes are well up to the Soprano's standard.
0 Replies

dadpad

Wed 30 Apr, 2008 05:41 am
By the way Barry, Tony Mokbel (real life) one of the crims supposedly featured in underbelly had a hide out near (20 mins away) from my home at Bonnie Doon. He spent some time holed up there before being spirited away to Greece where he was subsequently discovered and is now in custody awaiting extradition.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Thu 8 May, 2008 04:10 am
Up to Episode 12 now and still enjoying it.Also reading The Gangland War by Silvester and Rule,which contains loadsa background info that the TV series hasn't got time to elaborate on.Will watch the final episode on Friday.The DVD box set sold out on pre-orders alone (60,000 units) and is being released the day after ep 13 is shown in Oz but is not being made available for internet ordering.Only over-the-counter sales are available.See HERE. Mad Mad Mad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies