dadpad

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:16 pm
Mumpad and I went to see this little gem last night. I liked it a lot.
Well worth a look. Fantactic cinematography.

The Boys are Back.

In The Boys Are Back, a film based on the memoir by Simon Carr of the British newspaper the Independent, is about a character named Joe, a sportswriter who has a five year old boy living with his mother in southern Australia. Joe is away from home often and mostly sees the boy, Artie (Nicholas McAnulty) on holidays or the few times he can get away. He loves his wife (Laura Fraser) and kid a great deal, and his life, as they say in the movies, is turned upside down by his wife's passing from cancer. Suddenly he finds himself with Artie 24/7, a boy who doesn't grasp what has happened fully with his mother's death (Artie, rambunctious but not annoying, asks Joe at one point if he can die so he can be with his mother again). On top of this for Joe is his teenaged son Harry, (MacKay) from a previous marriage, who comes to visit and adds another to his juggling of being a single-father-widower and top sports writer.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0926380/

http://www.the-mac.com.au/images/boys.jpg
dadpad

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:17 pm
Even i thought he's a seriously good looking man
Ionus

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:47 pm
@dadpad,
Thank you.
dadpad

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:56 pm
@Ionus,
You wish!
Ionus

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:58 pm
@dadpad,
You werent talking about me ? It is an understandable mistake on my part.
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 6 Dec, 2009 06:54 pm
@dadpad,
Hi dadpad

Had a bit of trouble locating a trailer, so checked out the At the Movies site.
It's a Scott Hicks film! With Julia Bake, even! Smile
I love seeing Oz landscape on film. Perfect for filming!

OK, you've convinced me. I'll go see it soon.
Margaret & David obviously think it's pretty good, too. (See review in the link - plus trailer)

One question, dp: do I need to take lots of tissues with me when I go see it? Wink

Quote:
Director, Scott Hicks has created a really lovely film with THE BOYS ARE BACK. He’s managed, with a screenplay by Allan Cubitt, to explore the world of this man Joe who grapples with the emotional and practical challenges of being a single father in difficult circumstances.

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2725416.htm

`
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:58 pm
Anyone see Mao's Last Dancer?
0 Replies

dadpad

Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:30 am
Quote:
One question, dp: do I need to take lots of tissues with me when I go see it?

I dont think so. Perhaps a few.
I kinda felt the storyline was a bit predictable, but still worth seeing.
msolga

Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:34 am
@dadpad,
OK. And a few extra, too.
Just in case! Smile

Looking forward to seeing it.
dadpad

Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:50 am
@msolga,
The best bit was we had the whole cinema to ourselves.
Mansfield armchair cineama has enourmouse beanbags suitable for two, as well as armchair seating . My wife and i made good use and it was lovely to snuggle up like a couple of teenagers.
(giggle)
msolga

Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:53 am
@dadpad,
Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 13 Dec, 2009 07:02 am
Quote:
List of winners of the 2009 AFI Awards
December 13, 2009

BEST FILM: Samson & Delilah. Kath Shelper

BEST DIRECTION: Samson & Delilah. Warwick Thornton

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Samson & Delilah. Warwick Thornton

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Balibo. David Williamson, Robert Connolly

AFI AWARD FOR BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC SCORE: Mao's Last Dancer. Christopher Gordon

AFI AWARD FOR BEST LEAD ACTOR: Anthony LaPaglia. Balibo

AFI AWARD FOR BEST LEAD ACTRESS: Frances O'Connor. Blessed

AFI AWARD FOR BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Oscar Isaac. Balibo

AFI AWARD FOR BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Rachel Griffiths. Beautiful Kate

AFI AWARD FOR BEST TELEVISION DRAMA SERIES: East West 101, Season 2. Kristine Wyld, Steve Knapman. SBS

AFI AWARD FOR BEST TELEFEATURE, MINI SERIES OR SHORT RUN SERIES: False Witness. Greg Haddrick, Peter Andrikidis. UKTV

AFI AWARD FOR BEST DIRECTION IN TELEVISION: East West 101, Season 2 (Episode 13, Atonement). Peter Andrikidis. SBS

AFI AWARD FOR BEST SCREENPLAY IN TELEVISION: Underbelly: A Tale of Two Cities (Episode 11, The Brotherhood). Kris Mrksa. Nine Network

AFI AWARD FOR BEST LEAD ACTOR IN A TELEVISION DRAMA: Roy Billing. Underbelly: A Tale of Two Cities. Nine Network

AFI AWARD FOR BEST LEAD ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION DRAMA: Susie Porter. East West 101, Season 2. SBS

AFI AWARD FOR BEST GUEST OR SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A TELEVISION DRAMA: Damian de Montemas. Underbelly: A Tale of Two Cities (Episode 11, The Brotherhood). Nine Network

AFI AWARD FOR BEST GUEST OR SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION DRAMA: Anni Finsterer. 3 Acts of Murder. ABC1

AFI AWARD FOR BEST FEATURE LENGTH DOCUMENTARY: Glass: a portrait of Philip in twelve parts. Scott Hicks, Susanne Preissler

AFI YOUNG ACTOR AWARD: Marissa Gibson & Rowan McNamara. Samson & Delilah

BYRON KENNEDY AWARD: Ray Brown

NEWS LIMITED READERS' CHOICE AWARD: Mao's Last Dancer. Jane Scott

AFI INTERNATIONAL AWARD FOR BEST ACTOR: Russell Crowe. State of Play

AFI INTERNATIONAL AWARD FOR BEST ACTRESS: Toni Collette. United States of Tara. ABC1

AFI HIGHEST GROSSING FILM AWARD: Australia. Marc Wooldridge, Baz Luhrmann, G. Mac Brown, Catherine Knapman, Stuart Beattie, Ronald Harwood, Richard Flanagan

AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/film/list-of-winners-of-the-2009-afi-awards/2009/12/12/1260034391718.html
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 5 Nov, 2011 07:07 pm
Oh no.
This is terribly sad news.
Far too early to die, with so many more good films still in her.
What a loss.
Condolences to her family, friends & those who worked with her in the Oz film industry.

Quote:

Tributes flow for the director who gave her all
Garry Maddox and Rebecca Richardson
November 6, 2011/SMH

http://images.smh.com.au/2011/11/05/2754447/ipad-art-wide-obit-420x0.jpg
Sad loss ... William McInnes and Sarah Watt last month. Photo: Simon Schluter

THE much-loved Australian writer, director and artist Sarah Watt - the wife of the actor William McInnes - has died of cancer.

Watt, 53, was recognised as a rare talent through a series of heartfelt animated shorts before triumphing with the 2005 film Look Both Ways, which starred McInnes as a photographer dealing with cancer.

It won her the best film, director and original screenplay awards at the Australian Film Institute Awards as well as the Discovery award at the Toronto International Film Festival.

But by the time of the film's release, she was dealing with her own diagnosis of breast cancer, and she chronicled the experience of illness with humour and heart in her 2009 film My Year without Sex, which starred Sacha Horler and Matt Day.

A death notice in The Age said Watts ''died peacefully at home filled with the love she gave to those who adored her - her family. A life of courage, humour, intelligence, generosity, honesty and grace.''

More than most directors, her films drew on her personal experiences.

''When I go to see films or look at paintings, I want to be moved and that usually comes from something personal in the artist,'' she once said. ''So that's why I raid my own life a bit to make films.''

Even after being diagnosed with secondary bone cancer two years ago, Watt continued her creative work.

Late last month, when she spoke to The Age from hospital, she said her way of coping with illness was ''to throw every thought or picture into my work. In a way, I've just kept doing what I've always done.''

Watt's friend Bridget Ikin, who produced Look Both Ways and My Year without Sex, said: ''Every ounce of her being was creative, she couldn't stop.

''She was a truly original, creative person, always quick to see the funny side and full of compassion.

''I loved how she always could open up fresh ways of looking at the imperfections of our families and ourselves.''

This year, Watt was on the jury at the Sydney Film Festival, released the memoir Worse Things Happen at Sea, which she wrote with McInnes, and opened a photography exhibition, 3012, in Melbourne late last month.

The gallery owner, Mary Long, said Watt was ''a super special woman. It's beautiful that she reminded us all to look at the simple things in life to find happiness.''

Watt said last month she delighted in finding beauty in the most unlikely surrounds, such as a hospital ward. ''I'll often look at things and see weird faces and animals. I used to see them in clouds; now I see them in the drape of a cloth - a ghost or a happy face.''

She is survived by McInnes and her two children Clem, 18, and Stella, 13.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/tributes-flow-for-the-director-who-gave-her-all-20111105-1n1d7.html
msolga

Sat 5 Nov, 2011 07:12 pm
@msolga,
Look Both Ways.
Wonderful film!
Loved it.

msolga

Sat 5 Nov, 2011 07:14 pm
@msolga,
My Year Without Sex:

0 Replies

msolga

Sat 5 Nov, 2011 09:00 pm
But back to recent Oz productions ...

This one's not a film, but an ABC mini-series.
The Slap.
Has anyone else been watching it on Thursday nights on the ABC?
Last episode coming up this week.
I've enjoyed it (if "enjoyed" is the right word for a harrowing drama).
Congratulations to Auntie for tackling relevant contemporary issues in such cash-strapped times & for doing it so well. A risky proposition, given the subject matter.

I loved the book. Couldn't put it down till I'd finished reading:

The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas
Jane Smiley enjoys an energetic exposé of the tensions in multicultural Australia:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/may/08/the-slap-christos-tsiolkas-review
dlowan

Sat 12 Nov, 2011 01:17 am
@msolga,
Came to it in the middle but caught up via iView.

Really enjoying it.....though it's a bit melodramatic.

Just watched "Manolis"........interesting final scene!
msolga

Sat 12 Nov, 2011 01:49 am
@dlowan,
It was.
Manolis wasn't nearly as outspoken about his wife in the book, though she was pretty objectionable <shudder> , mainly toward Aisha. She couldn't bring herself to utter her name!
I loved the book. Thoroughly engrossing. The mini series was a wee bit of a let-down, because the plot was already such familiar territory. Not too many surprises.
All the same, it's terrific that Aunty risked producing The Slap.
I really miss good Australian drama on the ABC in these cash-strapped times.
Builder

Sat 12 Nov, 2011 01:56 am
@msolga,
Met some of the huge extended family involved in the making of the movie Mad Bastards. Also one of the cinematographers. Interesting bunch, and a cutting-edge video, for mine. Trailer at the link below.

http://www.madbastards.com.au/
msolga

Sat 12 Nov, 2011 02:06 am
@Builder,
I haven't caught up with Mad Bastards yet, Builder.
Looks good.
You've seen the film?
Can you tell us a bit more?

Margaret & David's review:
http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s3198263.htm