Is it dialect?

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 03:25 am
Ebonics is the dialect of economically disadvantaged African-Americans. Educated blacks, as a general rule, disdain speaking Ebonics because they realize it will put them at a disadvantage in a white-dominated society. You don't want to be speaking a street dialect during a job interview. But, that said, it is a vigorous, vibrant and colorful dialect, well-suited to the street, if not the board-room. Most white people don't quite understand the subtelties of the grammar, the fact that a particular word can mean something other in Ebonics than it does in standard English. It is also the source of much white teenager slang.
0 Replies

wordworker

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 05:01 am
Interesting topic. My reply was lost in technical translation. Exclamation

ww
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 05:18 pm
CarbonSystem wrote:
What is the right word to use? (accent, dialect, ethnoflect, inflection)

My vote goes down on the side of "ethnoflect",but strongly influenced by the music listned to,together with music,fashion and sports "icons"
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:26 pm
NOwadays its becoming more than something used by select groups, some terms are cathign on among with more and more people because of how much they're used on television.

Even middle-aged mothers are strating to use some ebonics without even knowing it!
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 02:16 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Ebonics is the dialect of economically disadvantaged African-Americans. Most white people don't quite understand the subtelties of the grammar, the fact that a particular word can mean something other in Ebonics than it does in standard English. It is also the source of much white teenager slang.

As I found,to my embarresment,two days ago Embarrassed
0 Replies