Lets say no to drugging our kids!

Montana

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 05:06 am
In one breath the schools are teaching our children not to do drugs, yet half the children in school these days are lined up at the nurses office to take their daily dose of Ritalin (or similar drug), which is being pushed by the schools.
The parents are pushed to drug their kids with these very dangerous and addictive drugs and if they don't, they're accused of medical neglect and are told they could lose their children if they do not cooperate.

Does anyone else see something seriously wrong with this picture?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 759 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 05:31 am
But without drugs, how will they sit still and shut up? You are so naive -- next thing you'll tell us teachers ought to give interesting classes or something!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 05:34 am
Oh goodness no, Thomas! I would never go that far!
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:15 pm
Re: Lets say no to drugging our kids!
Montana wrote:
In one breath the schools are teaching our children not to do drugs, yet half the children in school these days are lined up at the nurses office to take their daily dose of Ritalin (or similar drug), which is being pushed by the schools.
The parents are pushed to drug their kids with these very dangerous and addictive drugs and if they don't, they're accused of medical neglect and are told they could lose their children if they do not cooperate.

Does anyone else see something seriously wrong with this picture?

We decry the use of opium and largactil forced on kids in the last century, yet promote similar in this century. People go along with drugging kids because they are told they have a 'condition' - as if doctors can tell which brain chemicals are socially right and which are socially wrong. There is no theory to support the use of these drugs.
We will be deeply ashamed in years to come of what we do now.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:19 pm
This is what you get when drug companies get to decide what should and shouldn't be classified as a "disease", or a "condition."
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:54 pm
ya im 17 and was raised by immigrant italians...you wanna know what my ritalin was? "Keep quiet or go to your room"

Yea i was a very very energetic and mischevious child...im putting $ on it that says doctors probably wouldve told my parents i was ADD, however, my parents didnt believe in ADD or drugs of that sort.

So here I am today, a 17 year old, top of his class, energetic male, attending Wake Forest.

I will never ever put my children on drugs that will keep the quiet and basically make them numb. Im glad my parents did what they did, all you need are strict, tough parents, and rules.

ADD is a term developed my drugs companies in my opinion.

I may be young but heres how i see today's society, this is based on my experiences as a camp counselor for two years.

Parents today arent like how they were when i was in elementary school. It seems as if the younger generation parents will do just about anything to keep kids quiet and out of their hair. Because of this, they resort to perscription medication, because the moment they see a child run around for long periods of time....its ADHD OMG!!! Yea, kids are energetic, some more then others...why? Maybe one reason is because the food today is garbage and full of sugar. Cut out the sugary foods, and your kid wont be hyper, if your kid isnt hyper, theres no need to put him on drugs to calm him down.

As a pre-med student who has had thousands of hours experience working side by side with researches and doctors, i have come up with my own opinions about the matter and here it is.

I believe that kids should be put on medications altering their behavior as a very very very last resort, and this is only if they become a danger to themselves, others, or are having a very difficult time functioning or carrying out a daily routine. Far too many children today have devloped mental dependencies on depression medications/ritalin/etc and it needs to stop. Kids havent evolved into a new species over the last 10 years since i was in grade school, so why are things different??

Because as drug companies come out with new medications, they pay doctors more to prescribe them, which obviously doctors do. And why not? Many MD's are in it for the money anyway, these drugs arent harmful to anyones health, so why not right?

This is where parents need to draw the line, just because its an easy fix and not harmful, doesnt mean your child should be put on it to make your life easy. If you wanted life to be easy, then dont have children.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 04:07 am
Good, thoughtful comments, houzer911. Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 03:15 am
excellent responses! I have to get ready for work, but I will respond to everyone as soon as I get the chance.
0 Replies