Potty Training 18 months

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:02 pm
should I do that?
The only thing i see with Bean having it onthe floor all the time is that she will want to play with it. Take it apart..
hmm..

well.. i cant think of a good reason not to leave it on the floor..
hmm..

good point. she can wander over to it when ever..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:10 pm
You can teach her not to play with it, but we put it out and then left it out. Seemed to help a lot with comfort level, autonomy (sozlet's always preferred to do something because it's HER idea), etc., etc.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:13 pm
she is sitting on it now, right next to me
slapping her knees and ' blurbing at me'
;-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:14 pm
Awwww...

OK so wait a minute, where are YOU?

:-D
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:32 pm
in her play room.

i have the computer set up where i can access it from the couch.
the monitor is turned to face out twords the couch and the keyboard can rest on the back of the couch.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:35 pm
Toilet training is one reason both little girls and little boys wore little dresses.

One function of pekingese dogs in royal households was to clean up the inevitable childish accidents.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 04:00 pm
Very Happy
this can NOT be this easy..
I had to come back to this thread to check exactly what date I got her potty on.

Well..
the very first day, almost right out of the box, I caught her in time and she peed in it.
Well HORRAH!!!! Luck of the draw, this mother was begining HER training on Beans ' gotta pee' cues.
Next day.. err,, ahh.. nope.
Day after.. YEAAAHHHHHEEE Pee
Sick 3-4 days.

Saturday, back on the potty we go.
HORRAAHHH!! pee again
Shocked poop too?
So on we go.. day after day.. a little pee.. never poop though, i got really lucky that time I think ;-)
Yesterday- standing next to the potty, bean pulls her pants down. Shocked

taking that cue I remove her diaper and VOILA-
pee..... Shocked

OK, OK, ok.. im lucky.. she IS into disrobing now anyways.. there cant be a connection there yet. No way

today-
stands next to potty..
pulls down pants..... Shocked pee...
> chicken dance done by me with Bean in my arms , her pants still at her ankles, until I am done prancing around the room <
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 05:02 pm
Yaaayy!

Looks like she's having fun with it.

The occasional use thing can certainly happen quickly, it's the exclusive use -- with no accidents -- that takes longer/ is trickier. But looks like you guys are off to a great start!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 08:03 pm
Shewolf--

You and Bean are on the same wavelength. Great!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 09:35 pm
Im not so sure that she is using the potty for the sake of using it..

i think it has to do with the silly mommy responce she gets.
The dancing with her in my arms while her pants are still around her legs
the squealing giggly silly faces I make
the big deal about cleaning it out and letting her turn on the water to do it
:-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 10:27 pm
SheWolf--

You're right--she isn't potty trained yet. But if she can train Mommie to Wild and Festive Jubilation....

Ms. Bean, Female Executive.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 08:54 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Im not so sure that she is using the potty for the sake of using it..

i think it has to do with the silly mommy responce she gets.
The dancing with her in my arms while her pants are still around her legs
the squealing giggly silly faces I make
the big deal about cleaning it out and letting her turn on the water to do it
:-)

We're having the same issue. We give her a sticker when she uses the potty, clap, dance, etc. Now she pees out two drops (OK, a little more than that) and is ready to pee again the 30 minutes. Nice way to accumulate stickers, and keep Mama dancing to her tune....

I suppose one upside is that she's learning to control her actions.

Any advice on convincing her to just let go?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 10:50 am
How about, "You can't leave the house in Big Girl panties until you can wait for three hours between potty trips?

Then you start the concepts of "big hand on clock" and "little hand on clock" (and how important the Little Hand is).....

A kitchen timer is also useful.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 12:40 pm
Hmmm.... I'll run it past Mama. I'm a little worried about mixed messages, but it's a possibility.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 12:54 pm
maybe... encorporate something diffrent as a reward for BIG pee..

go to the dollar store and get a bunch of 25 cent toys.
When she realllllllyyy pees and it isnt the quick squat, she gets a toy. Once a day.. ?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 01:05 pm
We never dealt with exactly that, trying to think how we would've dealt with it...

One general principle is that we kept raising the bar according to what we thought she could handle. As in, we gave the Big Reaction until she got that it was a good thing -- then saved the Big Reaction for the next step in accomplishment. We'd still give more standard praise -- "hey, good job, you're really getting the hang of this!" -- but not the over-the-top stuff.

So if we were faced with that one, what we might do is:

- When she squeezes out a few drops, just keep it to what was indeed praiseworthy -- "you figured out that you needed to pee, good for you!". Perfectly sincere and even enthusiastic, but not too terribly exciting.

- When she *pees*, give the big reaction. "WOWEE, now you won't need to go again for a long time and we can do [fun activity that doesn't mix well with needing to use the potty], you are doing so great, I'm so proud of you!!!!", dancing, big smiles, etc.

We never used objects for positive reinforcement, just varieties of praise. Later on, when the goal was complete potty training, the currency was stories -- if she peed, she'd get one, if she pooped, she'd get two. :-D
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 02:40 pm
Currently: One sticker for peeing, two for pooping. Eight stickers earns a special treat.

We're starting to tone down reactions; good idea to base reaction on size of result. Also good idea to give examples of what happens when she empties her bladder.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 05:33 pm
Drew Dad--

I'd guess that a kid old enough to potty train is starting to absorb the Western notion of time-by-a-clock.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 10:18 pm
She knows what a clock is, but we haven't started teaching time yet.

We have modified the reward system again; seems to me this will be a steady progression of modifying the rewards.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 08:21 am
Yep, we've definitely done a lot of modification of any reward system we've had (two times we've done it). I'm not sure if I recommend the story-reward system, she STILL asks and sometimes I'm plain storied out.
0 Replies