Survivor 11 - Guatemala - The Maya Empire

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 01:03 pm
Last night was a pretty good show. What a twist with Gary finding the immunity token. Nice trick to spy on Judd.

I never look at this thread on Thursdays because I worry about spoilers!

I was kind of sad to see Bobby Jon go but I confess to having a soft spot for doofus Texans.

Cindy and Lydia have really gone under the radar.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 01:26 pm
Gary was brilliant. Did you see him check Judd as Probst asked if anyone had found the idol? Judd is a moron and telegraphs everything. He looked right at Gary when Jeff asked, then Gary looks kind of put out, then brings out the idol.

Too bad he couldn't save it until later.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 01:28 pm
He's too obviously a serious competitor, though. I think Cindy might be flying under the radar right now, and Gary was the one that voted against her.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 02:18 pm
I'm having fun with this one.

One thing I was thinking midway through, before the immunity idol came up, was that it's been so long since there was a free-for-all with voting. Remember the first one, when the alliance was the big thing and everyone else just kind of voted willy-nilly? Since then it's been alliances alliances and nothing but alliances, and so it's usually just two people whose names are written down, the choice of each of the competing alliances. Boring.

So this was a little more interesting, though they rallied and got Bobby Jon off. (He made the jury, anyway, his lifelong dream...)

I think that Gary not only just guaranteed that he'd make it to the final four, but guaranteed that he won't win. People are going to be annoyed at him, and I bet the football thing will be coming up again. Danni was too certain, and she's at least on the jury. Plus he's too Tom-ish.

Cindy continues to look good, and I love the way she handles herself at the tribal councils (is that what they're called? whatever). For all of Steph's vaunted altheticism, Cindy's kicked her butt a few times (in the spear thing, but not the first time.) Jeff often puts her on the spot and she always knows just what to say. I think that Gary, who's smart, voted for her means something.

Lydia is a bit weak but I can easily imagine her wowing people in the last few challenges.

Rafe seems on top of things but I think he's a bit precarious, could turn on a dime if people think he's too much of a threat.

Bobby Jon managed to plant the seed that Steph is a threat and needs to go before he left.

Judd and Jamie are idiots (Jamie's smart move to give up his spot notwithstanding) but may well be brought to the final two as good opponents. (As in, people would rather vote for ___ than Judd or Jamie.)

I'd imagine that Danni would be the next to go, but who knows.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 06:21 pm
I'll be interested to see the reaction when Gary tells the tribe that he found the idol in a tree--after Judd assured everyone it was on the ground.

I wonder whether Jamie will be voted out next week when he no longer has immunity.

This is getting interesting.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 06:31 pm
It is!

Oh, one thing I don't think I ever commented on last week, when Amy confronted Gary and said she'd hunt him down and he was like "well, there is no Gary [fakelastname] in [whereverhelives], so I'm not worried." Dude, do you think she might, like watch the SHOW and figure it out??!

For a smart guy, he's dumb sometimes. I do think that big lie will bite him in the butt.

I agree that the reaction will be interesting. Wonder if they'll have a flashback or something, show his expression when he found it. (Yes, I'm a wee bit suspicious that the producers nudged him in one way or another, if only filming it when they knew he could see them...)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 07:17 pm
Football thing?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 09:32 pm
Hiya!

Gary is Gary Hogeboom, former pro football player (quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys, among other teams), but he's insisting he's just plain ol' Gary H---- (not Hogeboom, something else he made up), a landscaper. Another person on the show, named Danni, is a sportscaster and recognized him. He outright denied it, and has denied it a few times since.

He thought that if he owned up to it he'd be voted off right away as a threat. But I think Danni is too certain that he's actually Gary Hogeboom, former pro football player, and that the baldfaced lying will be his downfall.

(Do you watch this show? I love it, the dynamics are so interesting.)

(P.S., I remember watching him as a kid, everytime he was sacked my dad and I would say "Hegoboom.")
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 09:34 pm
Not just the baldfaced lying but the "How many millions do you already have, Mr. Quarterback??" factor.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 02:07 am
sozobe wrote:
Hiya!

Gary is Gary Hogeboom, former pro football player (quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys, among other teams), but he's insisting he's just plain ol' Gary H---- (not Hogeboom, something else he made up), a landscaper. Another person on the show, named Danni, is a sportscaster and recognized him. He outright denied it, and has denied it a few times since.

He thought that if he owned up to it he'd be voted off right away as a threat. But I think Danni is too certain that he's actually Gary Hogeboom, former pro football player, and that the baldfaced lying will be his downfall.

(Do you watch this show? I love it, the dynamics are so interesting.)

(P.S., I remember watching him as a kid, everytime he was sacked my dad and I would say "Hegoboom.")

Ah, so he has denied it?

Er, is that important, especially? Do not all of them lie most of the time?

(confused)

I watch it from time to time if I happen to be home on Friday night, and I turn TV on.

I watched it last night.

Hey! They have the shows here up to date with the ones you guys are seeing....must be cos it is a game, eh?

I am so hopeless at strategy that I sort of believe all of them! Lol!

Don't really have a strategic bone, I suspect it is a form of stupidity.

Who do you think will win?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 08:28 pm
Oh, you're watching!

I know, it's silly -- they all lie. That's part of what I liked about Cindy's answer during tribal council, and what made me so mad last year when whatserface got all sobby and mad at Ian when she'd lied to him first and his lie (which I don't remember) was rather pedestrian.

But in the game, it's something that pisses people off, big-time. "You LIED to me?!" There goes the vote.

And there's a bit more tolerance for "I'm not voting you out tonight, nope *coff*"-type lies than "My grandma died!"-type lies. Necessary and unnecessary evils, or something.

I dunno who will win. Part of it is that the person who looks the strongest/ is the best strategizer is most likely to be seen as a threat and gotten rid of. So under-the-radar people are good. That's part of why I think Rafe's days may be numbered, he's not so under any more.

I do feel safe in saying it won't be Gary, though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 08:32 pm
Blimey! Now I can't recall who any of them are, except Stephanie and Lydia.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 09:43 am
So I totally misunderstood the immunity idol in the woods thing. I saw something about it expiring by the final four, but I thought it was active until then -- like, if Gary found it, he could keep it UNTIL the final four, guarantee himself a spot. Instead, it was only active for that one tribal council.

Rafe and Stephanie are letting their string-pulling show too much, and I think they just pissed off Judd. (Didn't see any of the previews for next week, can anyone tell me about them?) With winning all of those immunity challenges and the string-pulling to get Jamie out, I think Rafe has a target painted on his forehead.

Lydia has got to step up in challenges or she has no hope. Right now, this group (who will be voting for the winner) thinks she doesn't deserve it. She could change that with some really strong showings later on.

Cindy remains really strong, I like her.

Jamie was a putz, happy to see him go but not sure if it was wise, as he was one of the only clear villains (Judd's been shaping up).

I still think the football thing is going to be a problem for Gary. I kept waiting for there to be a clue in his videotape, a plaque in the background or an inspirational message from his wife ("remember when you passed for 300 yards in the fourth quarter...") or something. Maybe there was and Danni (who was there) will refer to it later.

Danni is coasting through, not sure how. She's not WEAK, but she's not the strongest, either.

Mixed feelings about Steph, seem to be rooting for her.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 09:54 am
sozobe wrote:
So I totally misunderstood the immunity idol in the woods thing. I saw something about it expiring by the final four, but I thought it was active until then -- like, if Gary found it, he could keep it UNTIL the final four, guarantee himself a spot. Instead, it was only active for that one tribal council.

I understood that the immunity idol would be available to be found until only 4 people were left. If found (which it was), it could be used only one time at tribal counsel if the user thought s/he was going to be voted out. Gary found it, knew he was a goner and used it, thus making it no longer an object in the game.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 09:55 am
Right, I agree that's what actually happened, I'd misunderstood.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 10:00 am
Why oh why didn't Gary spill the beans about Judd saying the immunity idol was somewhere on the ground?

That would put Judd on everyone's list to get rid of.

Strategy wise I probably would have tried to keep Jamie around since everyone hates him. Wouldn't you want to be up against him with the final juy?

I would love to see some behind the scenes Bobby Jon and Jamie in the jury camp out area. Seeing those two stuck together for a few days would be a riot!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 10:06 am
Ha! Totally!

I've always been curious about that -- are they allowed to hang out? How does that work?

It seems like if they were allowed to hang out, there could be a whole 'nother element to the game -- people bonding and agreeing to not vote for X or definitely vote for Y, or whatever. It seems like there is an emphasis on only what happens in the game being allowed to influence votes.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 12:52 pm
Glad to see Jamie gone, although I agree that it would be better to have him around at the end. Who wouldn't do well against him?

If I was one of these people, I'd get rid of Steph. She's wielding too much power. Too strong. I don't know that this group has the cajones for such an insurrection--unless Gary can exert some influence.

It would be interesting to see how the jury operates.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 12:55 pm
Judd might exert the influence, too, as he's in what seems to be the core alliance, and Bobby Jon planted that seed with him already.

Re: jury, do we know what happens to the other people who are voted off? Do they go straight home? It seems like EVERYONE would have to go home at the same time or else it would tip people off as to what will happen.

I'm really curious now, gonna do some quick research and see what I can turn up...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 12:58 pm
A little inconclusive -- still curious about what happens with the jury:

Quote:
A: Cast members generally tell only their family members or close friends that they've been picked for the show, although word tends to leak out about who is on the cast even before CBS' announcement. Thus, if a cast member was to return a few days after leaving, still fat and pale, it'd be pretty easy to determine that they were the loser who had the distinction of being voted off the island first. Likewise, someone who was missing for six weeks probably did pretty well.

To keep the results of the show as secret as possible, Survivor keeps all of its contestants away from their homes for the entire 39-day shoot. After their torch is snuffed and they do their post-exit interview, they head to a place that is affectionately known as "Loser Island," although it's not necessarily an island. (Jury members are presumably kept together in a separate undisclosed location.)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6285035/

Like, what if the jurists compare notes and find out stuff they hadn't known while playing the game? Really seems like they'd be kept apart or that could become a huge part of the game. (Someone has a personal vendetta and spreads lies... etc.)
0 Replies