Judge: School Pledge Is Unconstitutional

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:47 am
Baldimo wrote:

Feel free to work it how you wish, I just hope it doesn't go away for those of us in the MAJORITY who like it the way it is.

Yeah...many of our fellow citizens from southern states felt that same way about slavery back in the mid-19th century.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 06:44 am
I would have no problem going back to the pledge without the UNDER GOD phrase as it was initially developed.

Yet, I can see that at some point, some non-US citizen whose child attends public school will take this to another level and attempt to have the Pledge eliminated altogether.

How can we force a non-US citizen child to recite a pledge to a Flag of a country they are not a citizen of.

There are already public schools that have removed the English language, so removing the pledge might not be far behind.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 06:47 am
[quote="Baldimo Feel free to work it how you wish, I just hope it doesn't go away for those of us in the MAJORITY who like it the way it is.[/quote]

To borrow a neo con catch phrase (hope you don't mind) unsubstantiated opinion.....
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:09 am
woiyo wrote:
I would have no problem going back to the pledge without the UNDER GOD phrase as it was initially developed.

Yet, I can see that at some point, some non-US citizen whose child attends public school will take this to another level and attempt to have the Pledge eliminated altogether.

How can we force a non-US citizen child to recite a pledge to a Flag of a country they are not a citizen of.

There are already public schools that have removed the English language, so removing the pledge might not be far behind.

Woiyo.

How can we force a US citizen to recite a pledge to a Flag?

It´s a free country woiyo.

(mabe the solution is that only foreigners have to recite it...)
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:39 am
woiyo wrote:

for real, dude. god doesn't seem to have taken any more, or less, interest in the united states with or without calling him down here every 5 minutes.

i wouldn't expect a non-citizen to voice loyalty to our country, really. also wouldn't agree that non-citizens are due the perks of american citizenship either.

can't. and shouldn't want to.

technically 2 different issues, but i agree with you on this. but then, i'm not real keen on non-english speaking schools.

we hear so much rhetoric about respecting other cultures that it seems more than a little hypocritical that the same voices want to insist that america is nothing more than a nation of immigrants. hence, no organic american culture.

what they don't say, is that every country began as a nation of immigrants.

but america is the only one that shouldn't enjoy it's unique cultural identity ? that's totally bogus.

so, when folks come to america and seem to stubbornly refuse to learn english, as is the case with a huge number of people in my town, i take it as a sign of disrespect. and in our case, they don't even want to share their native language with us.

guess communication isn't big with them unless it has a dollar sign attached...

the two groups where i've found this to be otherwise is with hispanics and persians. go figure. i frequently bring this up to my german friends when they get too tight lipped. hah!

what i do forsee, is a two language situation similar to canada, only instead of french, it will be mexican spanish.

i hope... 'cause if it's puerto ricano spanish, i'm totally hosed.

0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 12:54 pm
Why should those who don't believe in God win? Seriously. I have just as much right to say it with the "under God" part as you do to say it without. You want to talk about hypocrisy...why is it that when you want it out it's "constitutional" but when we want it in, we are religious fanatics?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 12:57 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Why should those who don't believe in God win? Seriously. I have just as much right to say it with the "under God" part as you do to say it without. You want to talk about hypocrisy...why is it that when you want it out it's "constitutional" but when we want it in, we are religious fanatics?

because.....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 12:57 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

because.....

Laughing

Even in total disagreement you still crack me up. Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 12:58 pm
nothin' but love for ya baby......
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:00 pm
Yeah I know. :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:01 pm
Ps- Not to hijack the thread but how ya feeling BPB?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:14 pm
Bella Dea wrote:

Bella...

...no one here is suggesting that you cannot grovel in front of your god as much as you want.

But the purpose of the pledge is to declare loyalty and allegience to our country...not to suck up to any gods. It makes no more sense to include an "under god" in the pledge than it does in a recipe for lamb stew.

Why can't you people see that?

We are NOT trying to limit your rights to deal with your gods whatever way you want...so long as you do not intude them into the public sphere.

We (what you refer to as) non-believers have as much right to pledge our allegience to our country...and we should not have to put up with references to your gods in the official pledge.

All said with the utmost of respect and caring for you and your beliefs, of course.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:20 pm
Does anyone else here think that forcing people to pledge alliegence to a piece of fabric is a little silly even without the reference to deity?

I refused to participate in high school. The ¨under God¨ phrase wasn´t the issue for me.

I still feel this way.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:21 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

All said with the utmost of respect and caring for you and your beliefs, of course.

Sure... :wink:

My personal solution (shhhh don't tell anyone!!) is to take it out, because 1) it was originally without it (right?) and 2) I can add a thanks to God at the end should I be so inclined.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:31 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Sure... :wink:

My personal solution (shhhh don't tell anyone!!) is to take it out, because 1) it was originally without it (right?) and 2) I can add a thanks to God at the end should I be so inclined.

I like that!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:54 pm
Frank, while I really don't see what the big deal is in leaving it in, this is one issue you and I won't disagree much on. Take it out, leave it in, really, what does it matter.

As Bella said, it was not there when the pledge was first written and we got along just fine without it being there for a number of years. Something tells me God won't care much one way on the other. After all, most of this country hasn't been practicing the "under God" part for many years. Smile

(And I too like Bella's idea. Sounds like we have agreement)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 02:05 pm
Bella Dea wrote:

better thanks, much better. Not 100% but now 100% dosen't seem unobtainable or too much farther away.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 02:08 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Frank, while I really don't see what the big deal is in leaving it in, this is one issue you and I won't disagree much on. Take it out, leave it in, really, what does it matter.

As Bella said, it was not there when the pledge was first written and we got along just fine without it being there for a number of years. Something tells me God won't care much one way on the other. After all, most of this country hasn't been practicing the "under God" part for many years. Smile

(And I too like Bella's idea. Sounds like we have agreement)

Yup. Once again.

Gettin' to be a habit. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 02:10 pm
Bella Dea wrote:

better thanks, much better. Not 100% but now 100% dosen't seem unobtainable or too much farther away.

Glad to hear things are moving in the right direction, Bear.

Stay vertical...avoid the horizontal unless you are doing co-ed push-ups.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 02:28 pm
Bella Dea wrote:

I've been meaning to hijack some thread and ask that too; glad to hear it.
0 Replies