American 'corruption' of English

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 05:46 pm
Boephe wrote:
.... and if the kiwis can't understand us, maybe they should mention this to the Americans and then maybe we'll get some American actors putting on Australian accents and not a malicious cross between Kiwi, English and South African.

LMAO...who said we cant understand you?, its just the odd word here and there which after all is what we are all discussing...ok I will make an announcement...ahem cough cough
..."to all you american actors out there please put on an Australian accent
that does not sound like a malicious cross between kiwi,english and south african!"....was that ok? Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 06:06 pm
Well, isn't this a fascinating thread!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 06:07 pm
When I first noticed this thread, I started to think about all the different dialects in the British Isles and I was reminded of a news piece that had captions during a conversation between 2 eastenders so that the American audience would understand what they were saying. But Patiodog beat me to it.

However, I have also seen captions under the spoken word of various citizens in the wild and untamed parts of the US of A, including Baltimore City. I was born there, live 30 minutes away, and sometimes I don't know what the hell they are saying.

I think the trick is to listen to the pattern so you get in the groove. I also usually spell behaviour as behaviour but probably because of the research I used to do.

Lastly, I'm a wiz with Anglo-Saxon. It's gotten me thrown out of restaurants.
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:05 pm
the accents here are possibly the most diverse for a single country considering our size.. there is a multitude of accents and i goddamn dont understand half of them... somebody from cork now i wouldnt understand one bit, well i believe they dont speak english....
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:41 pm
lol I can understand people from Cork, but damn if I could understand Dubliners! Laughing
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:45 pm
well from north dublin its hard enough... Alrigh' Boss.. us south dubliners are more, priveliged and em... can afford to speak in clear concise accents... well i have given up on cork people...
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:50 pm
IMO Belfast people had a lovely accent...quite different again. :wink:
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:56 pm
very diverse.. well all of ulster sounds alike...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:39 am
Hey, Milf, what happened to your avatar? I miss it.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 07:34 am
How do you tell a man from Cork to put a cork in it?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 07:52 am
I think you just flip him the bird!
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:49 am
i dunno i shall find it again...
0 Replies